PDA

View Full Version : Ornate Angelfish (Genicanthus bellus)

wolfnnc
06/13/2007, 04:05 PM
I am thinking of picking up a pair of Ornate Angelfish(Genicanthus bellus) for my 180g mixed reef.

I am curious if anyone has had experience w/ them?

Thanks

Jasonincuritiba
06/14/2007, 12:44 AM
We have a pair at the LFS I work at, they are in a 600 gallon reef, they are both good about not picking at any LPS,SPS, Soft Corals, or Clams.
They dont really pay attention to each other and dont have any sort of pairing behavior. If it were me I would just get the female bellus (half the size of the male and gorgeous blue coloration). They are poor shippers and have lost all the ones we have tried to order in except for the ones in the show tank.

wolfnnc
06/14/2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback

jda
06/14/2007, 09:13 AM
They are good fish. I have had 4 or 5 different species of genicanthus and they all have been excellent.

Here (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/hcs3/index.php) is a good article on the genicanthus.

SaraB
06/15/2007, 09:14 AM
I have a pair of Bellus Angels as well. I have only had them for a short time and the tank does not yet have coral in it other than a Sunset Monti. I obtained the male first about 3 months ago and he lived in the fuge of my other system until the new tank was up and running with no confirmed cycle. He was very friendly and was to the point of almost accepting food via a hand feeding. I moved him to my new 225 and he's been in there for about 6 weeks. The female was added 5 weeks ago and she followed him around for the first couple of days and now he has become a bit of the tank bully ... mostly at feeding time! Other fish are 2 Helfrichi Firefish, 3 Bangaii Cardinals and a Mystery Wrasse. They are both beautiful fish and I'm happy with my purchase.