PDA

View Full Version : 400W XM SE questions

gioNVA
06/14/2007, 04:20 PM
I've been running XM 20K lamps with PFO magnetic ballasts for the past six months and have noticed a shift in color already. Not too happy with the life on these bulbs. I only ran them for 6 months at 6 hours/day. For those that run them, is 6 months the life expectancy of these bulbs?

If you used to run the 400W XM 20Ks, what lamp did you switch to? I'm thinking of switching to a 14K SE bulb but I'm not sure which one (I don't use actinics). I can't seem to find any 14K bulbs that has comparable PAR ratings on Sanjay's tests. Any other bulb recommendations that would be good on the PFO standard ballasts?

TIA

Goodwood
06/14/2007, 04:35 PM
Ive been using these bulbs on a Hamilton standard M59 ballast (magnetic). I replaced my first set of bulbs after 8 months and the new bulbs looked the same as the old. A friend of mine runs these bulbs on PFO mag. ballast and his are much bluer than mine, not sure why. Currently he has one newer bulb and one that is about six months old (running side-by-side) and they don't look the same. Anyways I would say my 400 XM 20s are pretty white on the Hamilton ballast.

Maybe some will chime in and help out your situation better than I could. My buddy and I were wondering the same thing. I thought all M59s were the same.

anemoneguy
06/14/2007, 08:20 PM
pfo ballasts are m59. i went from the 400 watt 20k to the 4oo 10k because i didnt see much growth at all, but with the 10k it was great. i have a new tank that i went to de for the first time, and really like them. running 250 watt mechachrome coral bulbs.