PDA

View Full Version : DIY stand leveling issue

bues0022
06/14/2007, 05:05 PM
I have a 30g oceanic cube tank that I just build a stand for. The problem is that when I went to put the tank on it, I found that the back left corner needs the thickness of 1.5 credit cards under it to keep it from rocking. The rock is just ever so slight, and I didn't even notice it at first, but what should I do now? Is it ok to put water in the tank on this stand? the tank has 3/8" thick glass, and though I know the loading on the glass will be bad, it should hold right? If that's not a good idea, how should I go about doing this? I have a wood molding around the bottom tank molding because I didn't like it's color - so just sanding the heck out of it is out. I also don't want to add much of any thickness under the tank to raise it much. Can I just shim the back corner so it doesn't rock at all? With water in it probably won't move at all. What about putting a piece of cardboard, or some non-slip rug stuff underneath? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I really don't want a flood in my living room. Thanks!

ooba
06/14/2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah, it needs to be shimmed level. otherwise you are looking at producing stress on the tank that it isnt designed to accept. run over to hd or lowes, get a little pack of shims for installing windows, doors; be about 2$...shim it level, you can also add a little glue so it stays on there, and then trim off the excess with a utility knife. don't use cardboard or the rug stuff, it will compress once all that weight is on there.

NanoReefWanabe
06/14/2007, 08:58 PM
your not supposed to shim a tank..only shim the stand...in this case it sounds as though the top of the stand is out though...your best bet is to add a piece of foam under the tank and fill it with water to allow it level itself..

i am sure you could use 1/4" foam to level it out...and after it has the 300 pounds of water th foam will compress to almost nothing.. but will still be enough to take up the 1-2mm gap in the back corner of the tank...it may take a couple days/weeks for the foam to fully settle out though..

bues0022
06/14/2007, 09:18 PM
That's good to know about the foam - that it will mostly squish flat. Are you just thinking about that cheap pink stuff from HD or Lowes? I'll go pick some up then. Thanks again!

NanoReefWanabe
06/16/2007, 08:42 PM
i would use the white stuff...the pink isnt likely to squish much, since it is mostly designed for below grade use where there is generally thousands of pounds of soil and concrete on it...

the blue may work...

bues0022
06/17/2007, 06:59 AM
I didn't even know that's what the different colors meant. It makes sense though. First choice - white, second - blue. I'll head out today and see what I can find.