PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hare Split Hole to Hole

MechEng99
06/14/2007, 07:29 PM
In order to help control the amount of green hair algae in my tank (due to the tank being by an uncovered window due to renovations...can't be helped), I obtained a sea hare a couple of weeks ago. (Other types of algae were supplemented.)

A couple of days ago, I noticed the sea hare had all but quit moving, and a dark mucus-like matter was oozing from one of its holes (congealed ink?) Today, it quit moving but would respond to touch for half of the day. I came home from school to find it I believe dead.

Here's the weird part. About a week ago, I noticed a small mass of eggs. Seeing as how there's only one sea hare, I figured it had to have been a snail or something (reef only tank.) I also didn't think it could be a sea hare due to the reported HUGE number of eggs they lay. I ignored the eggs. Today, before the sea hare was completely dead, I realized that there was a split between the two holes on its back. It didn't look forced, but more of a natural fully healed split. There was a white tube in between both holes.

If I remember correctly, the "male" genitalia of the sea hare is near the head, and the "female" part is the goniopore on the back. So what was this split/white tube going from hole to hole?

Here's the weirdest part. As I was getting ready to remove the sea hare from the tank, I noticed a very very very tiny blob floating through the aquarium. I caught it, and it attached to my finger just barely, and started moving across my finger. It was shaped like a fetus with a defined head and body curled together, no bigger than maybe 1/4 of a pencil eraser.

Could my sea hare have had fertilized eggs, then laid a few in my tank shortly after arriving...then died as its life cycle was over...and one made it??? This is really weird. Any ideas??

J. Montgomery
06/14/2007, 07:35 PM
I think I've read that they will eject their digestive tract (?) in a last ditch effort before they die.

MechEng99
06/14/2007, 08:00 PM
Yikes. Hmm...interesting.

Here are some pictures of the sea hare split and the baby creature I found. Any ideas?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/567/146723000_0028.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/563/146723000_0030.jpg

Please realize that the second picture creature is about 1/4 of the size of a pencil eraser. That's the absolute best picture I could get.