PDA

View Full Version : help with building canopy

bboy aqua
06/14/2007, 07:40 PM
im planning on upgrading from my 10g to 20g long and i wanted to build a canopy for a 150w hqi mh
i need to know what type of wood i can use that is cheap and im not sure what to buy for this project
ill probally be getting everything from home depot unless i must go somewhere else buy something

help appreciated

Coyle
06/14/2007, 08:37 PM
use cheap plywood, 3/8 will do, 1/2 would be better. The cheapest will be the CDX, but i would opt for some sanded ply for a few dollars more. Will look pretty crappy if you try to stain it but both are perfect specimens if you plan to paint.

bboy aqua
06/14/2007, 09:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10145079#post10145079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Coyle
use cheap plywood, 3/8 will do, 1/2 would be better. The cheapest will be the CDX, but i would opt for some sanded ply for a few dollars more. Will look pretty crappy if you try to stain it but both are perfect specimens if you plan to paint.

i do plan to paint
can u explain to me what stain is?

Coyle
06/14/2007, 09:58 PM
stain is a finish (usually followed with a urethane) put on wood to give it a different coloring (often to make it look like a better cut of wood), its the finished look that your dining room table, kitchen cabinets ect have.

http://www.minwax.com/products/woodstain/woodfinish-color.cfm

bboy aqua
06/14/2007, 10:08 PM
oh ok i see
can someone make me a list of everything i need to buy for me to build this thing

im still lost and dont know where to start

Coyle
06/14/2007, 10:26 PM
ok, ill bite.

if you are using the plywood, you will need:
*plywood (obviously) you will need it tall enough to mount your halides at least 6-8in off the top of the tank

*some cheap square molding or whatever they have to make the inner rim that will rest on your tank edges (HD or lowes will cut them to your specs for a few bucks if you dont have a saw)

*I am guessing you dont have a nailgun/compressor, so opt for screws if you get 1/2 plywood (3/4in drywall will do, drill pilot holes first or you will probably crack the plywood), if you get 3/8 ply, i wouldnt use screws, get woodglue or liquid nail (some clamps would make your life a hell of alot easier going this route)

*woodfill or putty (cover screws, nail holes, seems, knots etc)

*an electric/cordless drill they have basic drills for 20-30 bucks at HD, walmart and harbour freight

*primer + paint

*cheap hinges of your liking if you want a basic open the top kind of canopy and pulls if you want them

*something to mount your halides, i dont know what kind of setup you have

*you will need to cut a hole somewhere for your cords to exit the canopy, or to mount a switch up there, and some slots for air circulation or a fan mounted it the back would be a pretty good idea if you are mounting halides

*not necessary but helpful : level, combination square, tape measure, scraper

I think thats about all you need, that will give you a basic "box" canopy with no frills. if you want to dress it up a bit you can add some decorative finish molding

kysard1
06/14/2007, 11:12 PM
I am building a stand and canopy as well. At Lowes they sell a clear pine plywood called ARAUCO. It sells for $23 a sheet and stains really nicely. I don't think you will be happy with the cheaper plywoods unless you paint them.

bboy aqua
06/14/2007, 11:50 PM
alright thanks coyle

as for lighting it will be some type of 150w hqi retro although i need to do more research first

also i would like to make it so that if i wish to i can add some pc's for supplimentation

i think i wont paint my canopy just stain it
would i still need primer for this?

also for the inside would i have to water-proof it somehow from evap and salt creep?

im thinking of going with the 3/8 inch wood only because u said it should be glued and that method seems alot simpler
how much weight can that glue hold btw?

ill ask more questions when i can come up with them

Coyle
06/14/2007, 11:57 PM
no primer, sand lightly, stain, wipe excess, urethane

most people paint the inside white, helps reflect and focus light into the tank and also protects wood.

you can use the woodglue on any thickness of wood, its very sturdy once allowed to set. dont know an exact weight limit off top of my head.

if you are going to stain, they sell really nice looking "hardwood" plys at most lumberyards and HD, lowes. and the whitewood pine like kysard1 mentioned is also good for staining. these options will be more expensive than basic knotty pine, but look much nicer if you stain.

** get a "pre stain conditioner" if you go with a hardwood ply.