PDA

View Full Version : Pick my last fish

AmatureReefer
06/14/2007, 07:47 PM
80 gallon tank, 100 lbs live rock, 100 lbs live sand, I just switched my my 80 from reef to fish only, I have 4 fish in it excluding the cleaners( 1 diamond goby and lawnmower blenny)

I have a Clarkii clown ( actualy most aggressive in the tank)
Scribble Rabbit fish (Awesome fish)
Flame angel (My personal favorite- got it to eat flakes!)
Cow box fish (I know he will grow to be to big but i saved him from being flushed from my friends tank( my X friend is a jerk) because it was nipping at his clams)

So I dont know if I should get another fish but if I did here are my favorites as of right now

1. Dwarf zebra lion
2. Fumanchu lion
3. Harlekin tusk wrasse
4. Spiny box puffer

or whatever you guys think would be cool, or if I should not get anymore let me know, I trust you guys more than any other source better to go with people with first hand experience! Thank you guys

bawla47
06/14/2007, 08:00 PM
a dwarf lion could fit well in that tank. and would get alot of attention from people.

hows your parameters? do you feed well as it is? any skimmer? if you feed pretty well and everythings in check, you should have np adding 1 more fish to the system.

i personally prefer to feed heavy and have less fish but more happier fish, then vise versa. your skimmer will weigh in greatly at this point though.

InLimbo87
06/14/2007, 08:22 PM
The one thing I would be worried about with the dwarf lion is the diamond goby. If its small enough, it could make a tasty snack.

AmatureReefer
06/14/2007, 10:11 PM
actually the skimmer is working really well! along with a 12gallon refugium attached the Nitrates are at 0 to .20 depending on the test I use. So dwarf lion sounds good, I had one along time ago, but you are right I worry about the goby although it is at least 3 inches long.

Any other advice would be nice, thanks

justinl
06/14/2007, 11:45 PM
A lion will eat anything under two thirds its own size. If you can get past that, I would definitely recommend a dwarf zebra. I won't recommend the fu manchu because they have a terrible track record and generally suck as a fish choice unless you got a tank where it will be left alone completely.

how do you feel about eels?

AmatureReefer
06/15/2007, 12:02 AM
actually I like the idea of eels but I do believe they might cause a problem with my goby or blenny... maybe you know one that would be better for my tank ...

I like my goby keeps the sand white!

justinl
06/15/2007, 03:46 AM
i do indeed. for simplicity sake, there are two eels in my mind. fang toothed (piscivorous) or pebble toothed (eat crab and shrimp mostly).

obviously you would want a pebbletoothed eel. the most obvious and available choice would be the snowflake eel. a good choice in you tank i think. although there a few cases where SFEs ate fish, this is quite rare. ive only ever seen an SFE lunge at fish during feeding time to scare it off, but nothing more serious.

ther are a couple other pebble toothed eels that you could consider just as good candidates such as the ghost eel or the zebra.

note that if you get an eel, an escape proof (ALL the holes have to be too small to fit through) tank lid is absolutely essential.

ndas2976
06/15/2007, 04:20 AM
I would count out the spiny box puffer. They are very difficult to keep, constantly contracts ick and rarely excepts prepared food and winds up starving. You might want to look into a burrfish, very similar to the spiny box but hardier. I have a web burrfish in my tank for 3 years now. He eats like a pig, never broke down with ick, and is really passive.

Also the Zebra eel is a very good choice. Will not bother any of your fish and is also passive. Can take 2-4 weeks for the zebra to start feeding, but when they do they are extremly hardy and also disease resistant.

AmatureReefer
06/15/2007, 10:32 PM
where would I find a web burrfish?

ndas2976
06/16/2007, 05:29 AM
I don't think lfs get them in that much. I bought mine three years ago from lfs I usually don't go to that much. I haven't seen 1 around New Jersey since. Check to see if your lfs might be able to special order you 1 or check with 1 of the RC sponsors. I'm sure if you call around you will be able to find 1 or at least a reliable on line store that could get you 1. Be sure to use the scientific name (Chilomyterus antillarum) when you start your search, so you get exactly what you want.

Just be sure you become fimilar with the way the webbed burrfish looks. Certain burrfish are very similar looking to the spiny box.

Good luck with your search. They are definitely a great fish.