PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about acrylic tanks....

sfilingeri
06/14/2007, 08:50 PM
would it be better to go thru LFS? or does anybody recommend any links??

Looking for 180 or possibly 210? (72 inch across).

zoanthid2009
06/14/2007, 11:00 PM
first off i suggest a glass because it is much cheaper because acrylic has petroleum and when gas goes p so does it so its really expensive right now. is there ne reason u want acrlyic? but i would say a lfs anyway

sfilingeri
06/14/2007, 11:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10146005#post10146005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zoanthid2009
first off i suggest a glass because it is much cheaper because acrylic has petroleum and when gas goes p so does it so its really expensive right now. is there ne reason u want acrlyic? but i would say a lfs anyway

Well I like the look of the seams and its weight, but thanks will look into glass also..

faded1004
06/15/2007, 12:25 AM
i dunno if you have had experience, but acrylic scratches easier then glass.. if you have kids, and unknown variables, they may scratch it when you aren't gaurding it ... hahahaha... just look in to both and figure out what you want... many people have success with taking scrathces out... just make sure to go through a good tank dealer... i dont' know any, but i am sure people willl chime in...

but i can say, i just helped move a 160 acrylic? omg, 1" walls... wow that thing was heavy! didn't seem different from glass...

jtarmitage
06/15/2007, 01:04 AM
I recently ordered a new 250 gallon acrylic from James at Envision Acrylics. Wonderful customer service. The tank won't be delivered until July 6th, but the pics of it look great. Also, nothing but good reviews on his work from others here on RC. The prices from the LFS were higher than ordering the tank directly and having it shipped. I actually chose acrylic because of the weight vs. glass, as well as the increased strength. I may end up moving in a year or two, and the thought of moving a 400+ lb tank was not appealling. I've also got 2 young kids, and am nervous about something cracking a glass tank. Maybe not much of a concern, but enough to sway me. On that size of tank, there was not alot of difference in cost for glass vs. acrylic, some, but not a huge difference. I actually wanted glass because it would be easier to clean, since you can use metal scrapers and such. The scratch issue is not that big of a deal to me, and they are not that difficult to remove.
Hope this rambling helps.

sfilingeri
06/15/2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks faded and jtarmitage............

faded1004
06/15/2007, 10:36 AM
show us pics when you get the tank! i think either way you can't lose... both have pros and cons, and everyone has both... to me, i think the main reason for acrylic was because it is easy to modify and also order in custom shapes and what not...

nothing faulty with either... just look for a good shape and size i think... may be that should be your deciding factor?