PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a High Quality Dosing Pump

AdamT
06/15/2007, 06:42 PM
I'm looking for a high quality automatic dosing system that can dose small amounts (say, 15 ml or so) once each day. I've seen the AquaMedic unit, which is exactly what I'm looking for, but looks to be very marginal in terms of the quality of the peristatic pumps (lots of plastic, rollers require grease, etc.), and I'm not hearing good things about it. Ideally, the system would run up to 3 or 4 peristatic pumps on independently timed programs. I've also looked into building a system DIY from separate components, but I'd love to find a solid prefab unit.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

AdamT
06/15/2007, 10:24 PM
Has anyone used the Spectra Pure dosing pump?

meschaefer
06/15/2007, 10:51 PM
look into a litermeter III

laurentm
06/15/2007, 11:19 PM
I think the litermeter is what you are looking for, quality wise, but you won't be able to dose 15ml / day. The minimum is 50ml / day so you'll have to dilute with ro/di water (9x) and dose 150ml / day.

I've had the litermeterIII with 2 remote pumps for 2 years now and never had a problem with it. It's very well built and Spectrapure as an excellent service.

Puffer Daddy
06/15/2007, 11:22 PM
Litermeter all the way. It is without a doubt one of the best pieces of equipment I have. Very reliable, never worry about it.

AdamT
06/16/2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks everyone.

dots
06/16/2007, 02:05 AM
I have been using the Inovative Aquatics Sentry for nearly a year and have no compliants in regards to performance and reliability. I set it up with gal jugs of b-ionic and the dual channel tubing. Because of the dual channel, the numbers on the readout don't mean anything, but they go from 0-300. I have a 75g BB SPS tank stocked average and is currently set on number "13" so, it should last for quite a while as demand increases. Prior to that I was dosing, 60ml a day B-ionic for reference.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_dosing_pumps_top_off_innovative_aquatics_sentry_admiral_commander.asp?CartId=

The only thing I don't like is that it is not truely a "dual-channel" and I can't change the dosing rate of one or the other if needed. But that is rare and easily fixed without it.

AdamT
06/16/2007, 11:52 AM
I found that one on line last night. It is a medical IV feeding pump that has been relabeled as a reef dosing pump. Very high quality, durable, accurate and reliable, and you can get used ones on eBay pretty cheap. The problem with all these pumps is that none of the high quality ones are really well suited for my purpose, which is to add a single dose of 15 ml once a day (I'm dosing ferts into a 30 gal planted freshwater tank). The AquaMedic is perfectly suited for this task in terms of how it functions, but is obviously aquarium grade (not good).

The Litermeter III seems to be the best overall system, system, and I don't want to buy a POS, so I guess I'm going to have to resign myself to simply diluting my fert solution and adding it over the course of the entire day rather than in a single small, concentrated dose.

Thanks again.

AdamT
06/16/2007, 01:58 PM
Hey, I just found the AquaTronica triple dosing pump, and it seems to have exactly the functionality that I need. See http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=1158

It also seems to have received a favorable review (in its beta version) on the Aquatronica forum here on RC: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=947086

Anybody have any experience with this unit? It looks really good.

AdamT
06/16/2007, 03:10 PM
Also, since it looks like I would have to buy an Aquatronica controller to use this unit, I'd be interested in hearing peoples' thoughts on that as well. I wasn't really planning on buying a tank controller, but I know they are very useful, and now may be as good a time as any. Someday I'm finally going to start a reef tank anyway, and this kind of equipment (like my RO/DI unit) will be useful in the long run.

Thanks again.