PDA

View Full Version : Calcium=Heat Drive salt???

spleify
06/15/2007, 07:46 PM
Is Heat driveway salt the same as "turbo calcium"? How would this be added, and in what amounts?

drummereef
06/15/2007, 08:12 PM
Basically. They are both calcium chloride but in different forms. I use Prestone Driveway Heat for my Randy's 2-part. With the driveway heat, you must dissolve it in RO/DI water before adding to the tank, the same with Turbo Calcium. Test your levels first then use the calculator before dosing.

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

spleify
06/15/2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks drummereef, and that is exactly what I got is the Prestone stuff. Is it safe to add it to my new salt water before changes? My salt seem to be mixing at around 380. I drip Kalk with my top off. Is it safe to use these together? Thanks again for all the help drum, I knew you would know.

Paintbug
06/15/2007, 08:37 PM
i have been using Prestone Driveway Heat for over a year and a half myself for the calc part of Randys 2 part. great stuff.

drummereef
06/15/2007, 08:40 PM
Yes, I do this to bolster the Ca in my Instant Ocean salt which is known for low Ca level. Just use the calculator to find out how much Driveway Heat to use for the amount of water change you are doing. For me, I use about 1 teaspoon for about 8 gallons of water for my water change which brings my Ca up to around 450 from 380. Dissolve it first in RO/DI then add it to the fresh salt water. It is safe to use calcium chloride and kalk together. Just do some frequent testing to make sure you don't OD. ;)

spleify
06/15/2007, 09:03 PM
Excellent, thanks for the help. Yes I test twice a week, once in the middle of the week, and once about 5 or 6 hours after a water change. Thanks again.

drummereef
06/15/2007, 09:05 PM
Good luck! :)