PDA

View Full Version : New tank- Heat issue question.

salth2owannabe
06/16/2007, 09:41 PM
I've got about 135-140 gal total system. I'm currently cycling my tank and have my lights turned off. I have a Snapper for my closed loop and and Eheim 1260 for a return. My temp appears to be staying around 79-80 degrees even though the room temp has been about 74 degrees the last two days. Is this normal heat out put from these pumps? I'm starting to get a little nervous about tank temps since I haven't even turned on my MH lights yet.

hilgert
06/16/2007, 09:50 PM
I have an Eheim 1262 for my sump return (had it for years), and in my experience it does not generate excessive heat. From looking around on RC I think you will find many who have Eheims swear by them and not at them. So that's my input on the Eheim (I don't think it's a major heat source).

I don't know anything about the Snapper.

-Hilgert

salth2owannabe
06/16/2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks,
I don't think my Eheim is putting off any heat either. My Snapper is hot enough I really can't leave my hand on the cover right at the motor. I don't know if this is normal? I sure didn't think I'd have heat concerns at this point.

Southern Boy
06/16/2007, 10:19 PM
Do you have any power heads in the tank?Probably a dumb ? since you have a closed loop.

salth2owannabe
06/16/2007, 10:27 PM
Nope,
No extra powerheads. I have my Octopus 150 being gravity fed and that is it.

hilgert
06/16/2007, 10:33 PM
You will either need a new closed loop pump, a chiller ($), or some fans (perhaps tied to a thermostat) for evaporative cooling (get ready with the top-off water though). I have an Eheim 1262 for a return, about 1000 watts of tank lighting (tank and sump), no chiller, and no running (see below) fans other than what is needed to cool the MH lighting. I keep my tank at 80 degrees, and my house at 73 degrees (I like it cool).

I do have some fans on a two-stage thermostat set at 82 degrees, but they never come on unless I test them with some 82 degrees water. Mostly this is due to how cool I keep the house, and that may change as the house gets a bit warmer during the summer and the AC can't keep up.

I have used fans before and they do work, but your top off water needs can go way up.

-Hilgert

Southern Boy
06/16/2007, 10:37 PM
Mine runs at 78 without the chiller at night.Temp in the house is at 72-74 though.I have a mag24,mag9.5,and 2 power heads all submerged.My fuge light is on all night.But as soon as those halides kick on that chiller never stops running.I need to get a bigger or better one myself So if you got temps like that now without the lights on then I would start looking for a chiller.Do you have a hood or an open top set-up?

Southern Boy
06/16/2007, 10:42 PM
Yes the fans.I have 4 also just to vent my hood.Top off sucks.I want to get a couple more just to direct at the water but I'm alredy adding 10 gallons a week.But i got to do somthing myself ,the eletric bill keeps going and going.Kinda like the energizer bunny!I wish I could get mine to stay that cool without that chiller.Hilgert do you have a hood?

salth2owannabe
06/16/2007, 10:44 PM
Hilgert- My Snapper is brand new and has only run about 1 week, I hope that isn't it.
My tank has a large open canopy and the top to it isn' t even on right now. I just find it hard to believe that my CL pump is keeping my water 4-5 degrees above room temp by itself.

Southern Boy
06/16/2007, 10:55 PM
Is that snapper internal?

salth2owannabe
06/16/2007, 10:57 PM
No - it's external, and they're not suppose to transfer very much heat.

Southern Boy
06/16/2007, 11:03 PM
Wow, your tamk should be atleast 76-77.I don't have any expierience with either of those pumps though so I don't know.Have you ran your lights through a day light cycle yet to see what the temp is while there on ?Also try another thermometer.My controller to my chiller and the one I got for my nano are almost 2 degrees different.

salth2owannabe
06/16/2007, 11:12 PM
I have not tried my lights yet, I'm building an electrical control box and don't have the ballasts wired in yet. I thought of the thermometer thing and no such luck there. I may turn off my CL for the night just for curiosity sake to see what happens. I only have live rock in the tank at this time.

Southern Boy
06/16/2007, 11:21 PM
I think that would be your best aproach.If that dosn't come out fruitful I would try the return pump next.Maybe not for the whole night but atleast 4-5 hours.Your Bio-load shouldn't be to great since your still in the process of building it.I don't think you'll have any bacteria lose for shutting down the return for a while.LR and the close loop should hold everything up just fine.I would defenetly try to get those lights up and running and give it a full daylight cycle though.Don't want the temp goin up once you've got livestock in it.Bettter to find out now if your gonna need xtra cooling for it!Good luck!

Nano Chris
06/17/2007, 07:28 AM
Eheim all the way, nice and quiet, does the job!