PDA

View Full Version : Glass Tank Builders...Need opinions

smcnally
06/17/2007, 08:08 AM
I'm planning out the build of a glass tank. I plan on building it 28"L x 26"D x 20" tall (just under 70 Gallons). I'm going to use 3/8" glass and the Black Dow Corning 999-A silicone. I was wondering is the size of this tank small enough that I could go rimless with 3/8" glass? Or would eurobracing be necessary?

smcnally
06/17/2007, 10:05 AM
Oh, one other question...I've noticed a manufacturer that has been using sheet PVC for the bottom of their glass tanks instead of glass. Does the PVC bond as well with the Silicone as glass? Also, is this cost effective or a lot more money to do?

sac-bobme
06/17/2007, 02:22 PM
there is a two part system for pvc to glass, do a search for it. we talked about it about a week ago.

thesaent14
06/17/2007, 03:00 PM
i have search for this on RC and some other part i have some one telling me here in the diy forum some body build a cube with the pvc bottom if any one have the info because the company's who are doing this they want to keep it a secret if some one whats to let us know please do lol

btw
i am allso in the making of a large tank and the pvc bottom is somting i am looking at

smcnally
06/17/2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I already searched and went through 20+ search result pages early this morning. Guess I'll have to google it and see if I can come up with results.

thesaent14
06/17/2007, 04:22 PM
welcome welcome to my quest in search for the glue lol

if you like pm me with your nuber we can trade ideas about this and i saw your pos abou the wbox i have a good idea you will like

smcnally
06/17/2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks, I'm putting off the wavebox idea for now...Way too much stuff on my plate lately. I've decided I'm just going to go with a glass bottom since the PVC sheets seem pretty expensive. I just find some info on a thread here that seems to point to using Weld-On #810 as the adhesive. It is a 2-part adhesive that, IMO, looks a lot like what is used to glue windshields to car frames.