PDA

View Full Version : Should I remove Filter around Return Pump?

musky1963
06/17/2007, 02:13 PM
The guy that I bought my 180g from(FOWLR) always ran the blue filter material wrapped around the Mag 9.5 pump in the 55g sump/fuge. I am starting to wonder if this might be a bad thing as I am into corals. It is only a week into the new filter and looks pretty nasty. He did not run a skimmer, but I am. It seems that it would trap alot of pods that I want to reach my main tank and also trap alot of the good stuff, not to mention a possible nitrate trap. It would be nice to do away with it! Thoughts?

Oh, also have a Magnum 350 canister running, but also might do away with that, atleast not running 24/7. Thanks for any input. Jeff

msn711
06/17/2007, 04:46 PM
I would do away with the filter material, for all of the reasons you stated. I bet you could put the canister filter to use for running carbon or a phosphate remover. But I would take out any other media.

suphew
06/17/2007, 07:11 PM
Either remove the cannister or leave it running 24/7 if you turn it off the bacteria might die and pollute your tank.

Running carbon or resin in the cannister instead of biomedia is a good idea, but just the make sure you add either slowly

powdertang05
06/18/2007, 12:32 AM
if you notice the pad on your mag pump getting dirty i would just rinse it off in cold water so t doesnt become a ntrate factory otherwise i would leave it alone it will help clear out your tank, but f you wish you can just toss it its up to you. as for the canister i would put carbon or P04 remover in their at slow speeds and replace carbon every 30 days or if really dirty. other wise i would just put a good filter pad in their to clean your water but does not need to be ran 24/7.