PDA

View Full Version : lowering temp.

ReefRookie1016
06/17/2007, 07:30 PM
i was just curious on how to lower the temp in my 90. Granted im just using the intank thermometers from walmart....but it says its at 88!!!!! it definitly feels warm when i do water changes. I have to seios in the tank, then 3 different pumps in the sump which i imagine are the culprits along with my lights. But i need all these pumps to run my equipment ...the tank isnt near a window and the ac in my house is always around 75ish. My fish and anenome seem happy.....but i feel i should definitly act quickly...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!! jeremy

zma21
06/17/2007, 07:36 PM
First of all, you live in southern florida and it is summer time; Turn off any heaters you have.

If it is that high, you probably need to buy a chiller. They are quite pricey, but you need to drop your temp by ~8-10 degrees. That's more than any fan will do in my experience...

ReefRookie1016
06/17/2007, 07:48 PM
wow that was fast :) im not running any heaters, i was hoping i could get a way without a chiller since its away from windows and such...but why wouldnt i need to spend more money:rolleyes:

israelnajar
06/17/2007, 07:49 PM
The very fist thing I would do, especially before buying a 400 dollar chiller to drop your temp 10 degrees, is get a more accurate thermometer and then go from there. You may only have to drop it a few.

You could also try to build your own chiller type mechanism if you want.

Using PVC, silicone, titanium rods, small pump and a fan. At least I think my thought will work, plus if it does work you wont have any evap from it.

I havent made one myself but I can explain it if you like. Do I smell a DIY chiller thread coming up? ;)

shag26272
06/17/2007, 07:50 PM
You could replace the Seios with low wattage hydor powerheads and you should drop a few degrees

rudyr03
06/18/2007, 07:51 AM
i live in south florida t0o...my tank about a week ago was at
almost 88 but i have fuge so all i did was add an $8 dollar 7 inch
fan from walmart and i have it timed with my fuge light and now my tanks at 78 at night and 80 in the afternoon