PDA

View Full Version : white film

sickkick
06/17/2007, 08:51 PM
I just put together a 55gal setup with a 20 gallon wet/dry filter. I noticed a bunch of white film floating around in the tank every time I would clean the tank or move a lot of water around. the tank has been running for a couple of weeks now with nothing in it but saltwater. I was going to put my live rock in and cycle the tank but not sure what this white film is?

ivgonmad
06/17/2007, 09:27 PM
Proteins and other organic matter, get a protein skimmer or at least a surface skimmer.

RobSW1
06/17/2007, 09:51 PM
You can also use an extra poweerhead close to the surface of the water to get rid of this, but ivgonmad is right that u will need a surface skimmer or lots of surface agitation to keep this from appearing.

sickkick
06/18/2007, 09:18 AM
I have a 300gpm wave maker power head that is mounted about 2in below the surface of the water. I also have a surface skimmer. But my protein skimmer has not been running. I guess the protein skimmer not running is the problem. I thought scene there was nothing in the tank but saltwater that I did not need the protein skimmer working. I guess I thought wrong.