PDA

View Full Version : nano 5 gallon questions :)

Riona
06/18/2007, 12:15 AM
Ugh. For the second time I have a crash, this time with no good explanation. Tank was fine that morning, by the next I'd lost both fish(2 clowns from different sources) my crabs(blue leg hermits and an emerald) my fox coral was/is half dead, and around half of the little "rock critters" were gone. Nothing sprayed in the room, no hands in the tank, nothing new in the tank, same maintenance routine that worked since November(10% water change weekly) same salt and water, no new foods, 2 freshwater tanks in the same room that are both fine and dandy while the water went to he** in the reef, was clear that morning and looked like I did a water change with MILK that night. So I lost a nice 20 gallon tank. . .

I'm starting again with just a 5 gallon(10 watt pc, no idea filter rating), since I don't want to have any temptation to keep fish for a while. I am going to have 2 blue leg hermits, 4 nerites and 3 ceriths(the snails lived through the tank die off, so they stay) for motile inverts and a candy cane, a couple rics, hopefully my "blue" xenia will survive, some gsp(background cover, rocks don't touch the sides so it should be okay) and a lot of zoa frags that were in my other tank. What should I be doing for maintenance in it? How much should I be feeding/how often and how much water do I need to change each week?

niccas9
06/18/2007, 11:01 PM
Your lighting will definitely not support the corals you have listed. The common suggestion on water changes is 20 percent weekly but a lot of poeple have slight variations from that.

oh monti !!!!!
06/19/2007, 02:37 PM
NOT ENOUGH!! :(

Moonstream
06/20/2007, 05:02 PM
You need more light. Look into a small light with at least 3 watts per gallon. More would be better. I agree with not keeping fish, and weekly 20% water changes.