PDA

View Full Version : Food substitute

cichlid nutz
06/18/2007, 11:50 AM
I have an open brain that the xooanthellae has been scorched off (was taken from 130 watt PC's to 500 watt MH). Coral was given to me to see if I can salvage but am wondering what anyone recommends to feed until the algae regrows. I have been alternating DT's Phyto and Frozen Hikari Rotifers. Any other/better suggestions. It has been "closed" for about 8 months (spooky) but still shows good color on the fleshy part but just won't open. It is once again under 130 watts of PC.

sneeyatch
06/18/2007, 01:14 PM
if it's sweepers come out, try target feeding some meaty foods. they (most lps) will benefit from that more than phyto or rotifers.

GreshamH
06/18/2007, 02:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10165204#post10165204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sneeyatch
if it's sweepers come out, try target feeding some meaty foods. they (most lps) will benefit from that more than phyto or rotifers.

I disagree re: the rotifers, but totally agree with the phyto comment :)

Hikari frozen rotifers may not be the best substitute for live rotifers, but true gut packed rotifers can be a great feed for many animals in your reef tank.

cichlid nutz
06/18/2007, 02:22 PM
Have not seen sweepers as yet. Body is pulled in pretty tight. But I've only had it a week as opposed to the length it has been closed. How about the frozen rotifers with selcon? And also, where can I find some live bred to sell rotifers? DT's?? Tks for the help.