PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do a double decker frag stand?

MJAnderson
06/19/2007, 07:21 AM
I'm looking to do 2 40g frag tanks, one SPS and the other softies (mostly zoas). I want to pu the SPS on top, have it drain into the softie tank, then the softie drain into a sump. SPS will have MH, the softies T5. Trying to figure out how to do the stand. Since they are glass tanks, the frame needs to sit on the wood bracing. The bottom tank is easy...jsut a normal stand. not sure how to do the top one though.

The other idea would be to just put the SPS above and to one side of the softie tank, then have the softie drain into the sump under the SPS tank.

Kentanner11
06/19/2007, 11:41 AM
Ive seen this somewhere on RC, look under prop, and this thread called show me your prop tanks, there is one just like what your talking about!

coralnut99
06/19/2007, 12:18 PM
I think I understand your question about the top tank, and the answer may be easier than you think. The top shelf has to be longer than the bottom shelf holding the lower tank. Basically the stand for the upper one gets built around the lower one.
I'll give you a few words of caution here. It sounds like a great way to save space on paper. But in practice the top tank becomes a bit tough to maintain, and even if you're not vertically challenged, then you'll get tired of hunching down to see the lower tank.
I don't think it would be a good idea to have the top tank drain into the lower one, unless you know the lower tank will be able to drain both tanks simultaneously. You'll be better off with separate drains to your sump or refugium.
MH will cause real heat problems unless you're ready to install a chiller. I would go with t5's. SPS will do just fine, and you'll get better coverage in a 40.
hth