PDA

View Full Version : Blue Wave ballasts

DarG
06/19/2007, 08:22 AM
Are the Blue Wave ballasts well regarded. More specifically the Blue Wave VII HQI's but Blue Wave ballasts in general as well.

Thanks

gcarroll
06/19/2007, 08:53 AM
I had my 250 watt BW7's for 4 years with no problems before replacing them with electronic ballasts.

mpoletti
06/19/2007, 09:25 AM
I like mine. I have never had a problem with it.

DarG
06/19/2007, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10170674#post10170674 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gcarroll
I had my 250 watt BW7's for 4 years with no problems before replacing them with electronic ballasts.

Thanks for the replys, both of you.

gcarroll, What bulbs were you running when you switched ballasts?

Did you notice a big decrease in output after switching to electronic ballasts?

Which e-ballasts did you switch to?

Thanks

gcarroll
06/19/2007, 11:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10171622#post10171622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarG
gcarroll, What bulbs were you running when you switched ballasts? Phoenix 14K, however I have also used Hamilton 14K, Ushio 14K, Ushio 20K, and AB 10K with these ballast. All were DE bulbs.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10171622#post10171622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarG
Did you notice a big decrease in output after switching to electronic ballasts? Unfortunately, I cannot say because I changed over to SE Radiums at the same time.

Which e-ballasts did you switch to? SLS Galaxy

BeanAnimal
06/19/2007, 12:43 PM
The BW ballasts are just fine. I run the BW VII

However, I have not had to deal with SLS (sunlight supply) for any issues and do hear that they are kind of a PITA when it comes to customer service and warranty. Others may be able to add more info.

On the other hand, IceCap gets rave reviews for customer service.

DarG
06/19/2007, 01:08 PM
I'm using ARO electronic ballasts and they are running fine. I really like the Reeflux 250 watt 10000K DE's on them after burn-in.
One of the very highly respected online dealers has a clearance on some of the Blue Wave Ballasts. The Blue Wave VII Dual 250 watt HQI ballasts are clearance priced at $250 . I couldn't pass it up.
I like the e-ballasts for several reasons but there is no doubt that an HQI ballast gets the most out of the HQI bulbs output wise.
So, I'll take output and color into consideration and go with the ballast that I like better for a given bulb. I couldnt pass up the opportunity to have the option at the price that was being offered on this ballast.

Thanks again for the help, all.

klam114
06/19/2007, 02:44 PM
great deal! they are a $450 ballast for the dual.

Waxxiemann
06/19/2007, 02:46 PM
I've been running a BWVII dual HQI for about a year now and I have no complaints at all except it's HUGE and HEAVY. These could be considered good traits by some.

HaroldT
06/19/2007, 05:23 PM
I ran a Hamilton 250 watt HQI ballast ($160) with an Ushio HQI and a Phoenix HQI bulb and it worked well with those. It plugged into the SLS Lumen max (same connector)

DarG
06/19/2007, 07:11 PM
Very cool, thanks for all the input everyone.

Mikigo
06/20/2007, 12:22 AM
Good ballast. Burn Radium bulb bright crispy white/blue. Best combination for SPS color IME.

Mchava
06/20/2007, 12:26 AM
well I have used mine for almost 2years right before it went out. I can say that when it comes to customer service they really sux. Mines been out for almost two months and still not fixed. They send it back twice saying it was repaired. Sent it back again and now I am waiting to see what happens. Don't get me wrong the ballast are great but they need to work on customer service BIG TIME.

DarG
06/20/2007, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I know their CS sucks. But you should be able to replace any parts yourself. But I'm assuming that you have a little bit of electrical know how. All they are though, basically, is a cap, coil and ignitor.

BeanAnimal
06/20/2007, 07:42 AM
Yup.... but if open the case they will 100% refuse to cover the product under warranty. Actually if the sticker falls off they will refuse to cover it with het excuse that you have opened the unit and breached the warranty...

They WILL NOT send out parts for warranty repair either.

No problem for many of us to order the parts and fix the ballast... but it is frustrating when THEY should by all accounts honor the warranty and replace the parts according to that warranty at their cost, not ours.

DarG
06/20/2007, 12:54 PM
Sure, it sucks when a company is a hassle to deal with on warranty issues or doesn't handle them at all. But I paid 250 bucks for the ballast. That's not much more than buying those Raw ballast "kits". Add a case or cases, it's probably the same price as I paid for the BW VII . But you are right, lousy CS from most reports and thats just wrong and can potentially be very frustrating if you need warranty service. How long is the warranty anyway? Although it probably doesnt matter because I would probably just fix the thing myself even if it were under warranty knowing that is probably the only way it would actually get fixed.

Mchava
06/20/2007, 04:39 PM
DarG you are right in the sense that its just a matter of replacing one part for another, but when you buy the product becuase its suppose to have a 5year warranty and the company claims it was fix and its not. The sole reason for buy it was becuase of their 5yr warranty. That might also be the reason for why they only offer a 2yr on them now. Its not a matter of fixing it my self its the fact that why should I put more money into it when it has a warranty. Thats like buying a new car and the dealer saying it not there fault.

DarG
06/20/2007, 05:42 PM
I agree with you 100% . I'm not missing the point. You are po'd. I'd be po'd too. The company should make good on their warranty, take care of you and do so in a timely and pleasant manner. But apparently they wont and if the fact remains that they will not take care of you and it's cheaper to replace a part at your own cost than it is to buy a different manufacturers product, you have to make a personal decision. I'm just saying that given those two options, if i have to replace a cap myself or the ignitor or whatever, I would do so rather than spend 450 on an new ballast from another company. It sucks, they suck, you get upset and you never buy another product for the company, ever. But you are still left with the choice of fixing yourself what the company should have fixed and doing so with your own money ... Or, spending more money still on a brand new ballast from a different company.