PDA

View Full Version : frog fish care?

luscien
06/19/2007, 08:43 AM
hello, i was thinking of adding a frogfish to my tank. he will be the only fish. any thought on there husbandry and care?
luscien

PuffDandEd
06/19/2007, 12:04 PM
Normal water parameters, just feed them 2 or 3 times a week. They like silversides, feeder guppies, and size appropriate meaty foods. They are prone to diseases such as ich and crypto so make sure you QT prior to introducing them to your new tank. Also, make sure you have plenty of camouflage for them to blend in to such as live rock. I would check out Scott W. Michael's book Reef Fishes vol. 1. It is an excellent resource on Frogfishes.

justinl
06/19/2007, 12:27 PM
FW feeders are a bad food for any marine organism. it's fine as a temporary food like when weaning them onto frozen but other than that, it just isn't good as FW feeders lack the right nutrition.

the biggest concern i find with anglers is tankmates. they can swallow anything up to two thirds their ow body size. I would be concservative and make sure any tankmates are at least the angler's size or bigger.

PuffDandEd
06/19/2007, 03:03 PM
Justin,
Agreed, I didn't mean using FW feeders as a permanent solution....only during the transition phase to ween them to a more suitable food.

LisaD
06/19/2007, 05:22 PM
guppies aren't bad if they are not the only diet. they can easily be acclimated to saltwater, BTW. definitely avoid goldfish.