is this the dreaded Aiptasia?

http://70.85.133.211/JoeY/reef_tank/aiptasia.jpg

thanks

kkyyllee
06/19/2007, 01:43 PM
yes, or a majano

rcastreje
06/19/2007, 02:41 PM
Looks like Aiptasia to me. At least that is what I was told when it was all over my reef.

BTW, even though you did not ask, Pepermint Shrimp did a great job for me.

-Rich

clayspst
06/19/2007, 03:27 PM
yes sir

majorjoey
06/19/2007, 03:47 PM
OK this buggeR is on Deathwatch.
I just bought some Kent MArine KalkwasseR
I will inject tonight or tomorrow.
I really like the idea of the pepermint shrimps though and If I see one more I am gonna try those as the long term solution, Can u provide the negatives of this shrimp in a reef tank and how many in a 90gallon reef setup would be Good?
One more thing , do they need anything else to surivive other than Aiptasia?
thankS

rcastreje
06/19/2007, 04:33 PM
I have not had any problems with Peppermint Shrimps, but a friend of mine insists that after his 3 in a 60g decimated the Aiptasia problem in his tank (over a mere 4 days), that someone started to munch on his Frogspawn.

He promptly removed 2 of the shrimp and kept only 1 to keep an eye out for future outbreaks.

They are still shrimp and therefore are very self sufficient and don’t require anything special (outside of what all shrimp want). They are also readily available and cost effective. Plus you get a Shrimp out of the treatment.

I don’t think they are a problem with other Anemones. I also assume that I would have been “Flamed” beyond burnt for recommending Peppermint Shrimp in this Forum if they where.

If you only have the 1 Aiptasia, just kill it and see if you have a “Problem” vs. an “Incident” before you take further action. – IMO

-Rich