PDA

View Full Version : Capturing Mouth-Brooding Cardinal

pjf
06/19/2007, 09:00 PM
I have a male Pajama Cardinal fish that is brooding eggs in his mouth. Can anyone suggest a way to capture him to transfer him to a breeding tank?

I have a "Fish Corral" (http://www.novalek.com/kordon/fish_corral/index.htm) that has been successful with non-breeding fish. However, there does not seem to be a way to lure the mouth-brooder into the trap with food.

FMarini
06/20/2007, 05:20 AM
Many people report success w/ netting these fish at night, after the light have been out for a few hrs. Most aquarium fish-once adjusted- sleep, and if you pop on the tank lights this will disorient the fish in question (but only for 10-30secs) and allow netting.

Point of note about apogons, other than banggais.
Most cardinalfish hold the eggs for 7-10 days then release planktonic fry, whereas banggais hold until day day releasing juvenile fish. I mention this becuase pyjama fry will be considerably diffuclt compared to banggai. Not impssible- but the fry will have to settle first, then you can work w/ them. You'll need a good supply of enriched "s"-strain rotifers at first
frank

papagimp
06/20/2007, 11:49 AM
I second the nomination for the sneak attack at night. It's the only way I'm able to catch any fish out of my tank. My girlfriend can grab a net anytime of the day and pull out anyfish I point to....with no trouble at all! But me, not the case, I have to sneak up on them while there sleeping. (I swear the last clown I did this to didn't wake up into I'll was putting him into a acclimation container, he sure did look suprised when he came too)

Juck
06/21/2007, 06:35 PM
At night,, 1 hour after the tank has been in (total) darkness is the way to go. I find these fish particularly dopey compared to clowns and you should have a full 2 minutes or so to find the fish before his wits return.

Do not use a net,, corral him into a tupperware etc. ,,, my male Pajama spat his eggs every single time I netted him.