PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Runner Pump Outlet

rsw686
06/20/2007, 02:56 PM
I just received the Ocean Runner pump I ordered. I assembled it but am disappointed at the outlet connection. It just pushes into the top of the pump and has o-rings to friction fit it in place. You can pull it out easily and I can see this as potential disaster waiting to happen. Has anybody had the outlet come disconnected?

Every other pump I've seen has threaded fittings, theres no option to do that on this pump. Well it has threaded and barb fittings but the both still use the push in o-ring adapter. I guess I should bought the noisier MagDrive or sprung for the Eheim.

RichConley
06/20/2007, 03:00 PM
????

There shouldnt be any push on thing...the outlet of the pump should be threaded.

Atleast, thats how all my ORs are.

Take some pics.

rsw686
06/20/2007, 03:09 PM
The other end of the push in connector is threaded. Then the hose barb screws onto that. Heres two pics. If you look inside the outlet of the pump theres no threads. Worst case I'll just glue it in place with weld on or something. Either that or buy another pump. It kinda defeats the hose clamps when it just yanks right out.

http://wgnrs.dynalias.com:81/myweb/CIMG3742.jpg

http://wgnrs.dynalias.com:81/myweb/CIMG3743.jpg

rfields
06/20/2007, 05:14 PM
That is the same as my 3500. Had to use silicone around the outlet to make sure it didnt leak.

AZDesertRat
06/20/2007, 05:22 PM
Yep, thats the way all 4 of mine are. I am contemplating running a 3/4" pipe tap down in one to see it it will work. It appears it will be the right size to tap as a 3/4" nipple just starts to go in on its own. If it doesn't work I could always glue a nipple or the original fitting in its place I suppose.

rsw686
06/20/2007, 05:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10180934#post10180934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
Yep, thats the way all 4 of mine are. I am contemplating running a 3/4" pipe tap down in one to see it it will work. It appears it will be the right size to tap as a 3/4" nipple just starts to go in on its own. If it doesn't work I could always glue a nipple or the original fitting in its place I suppose.

If you try the tap let me know if it works. I'll probably silicon mine in place for now and next time I'm out I'll look for a pipe tap that would fit. The main issue would be how thick the plastic is on the housing.

aninjaatemyshoe
06/20/2007, 06:25 PM
Wow, talk about a stupid design. I have an OR 2700, which is actually a 2500 somewhat modded to fit the Turbofloater Skimmers. It looks similar, except that the push in piece is threaded. Don't have a clue why they wouldn't do that will all of them unless they screwed up on a batch.

rfields
06/20/2007, 06:28 PM
If rsw686 just received a new 3500 I dont think it is a bad batch since I have had mine for over a year. Also when I got mine it was missing a few pieces and got a drop ship from OR with all of the pieces and it had the same outlet piece that I already had.

rsw686
06/20/2007, 06:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10181310#post10181310 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aninjaatemyshoe
Wow, talk about a stupid design. I have an OR 2700, which is actually a 2500 somewhat modded to fit the Turbofloater Skimmers. It looks similar, except that the push in piece is threaded. Don't have a clue why they wouldn't do that will all of them unless they screwed up on a batch.

Yeah it is quite stupid considering the inlet is threaded. Anyway I might call up where I ordered it from and see what they have to say. I probably shouldn't of stuck it in the water, but the push in fitting seemed to hold on the table fine.

If I'm able to return it without a great loss of money should I go with the Mag Drive 9.5 or Eheim 1262? I know the Mag Drive is threaded, can anybody confirm that the Eheim is? Seems like it might be worth the money for the Eheim. Especially since I've heard Mag Drives tend to run hotter and this pump and the lights heat my tank to 79.5 already.

Or any other brands that are submersible as my sump isn't drilled. Although I could just drill the thing and solve the heat issue and give me more space.

rickh
06/20/2007, 09:03 PM
I have another surprise for you--the input cover is only held on by a lock ring. I had the lock ring come off, allowing the cover to come off and suddenly I had a 3/4" closed loop draining my tank. If you use an OR externally drill holes in the tabs and use zip ties to prevent the lock ring from coming off. R

cskollmann
06/21/2007, 08:31 PM
I'm about to hook an OR 3500 up in my sump, and in the directions they say to use PVC cement to attach the socket. Specifically, from http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/manuels/oceanrunner.pdf:

"If the pump is set up outside the water, the socket (17) has to be glued into the pump housing
using PVC glue (e.g.“Tangit“) (only for OR 3500)
If the pump is used as return pump, it can be directly connected to a PVC pipe. At the OR
3500, this pipe can be directly glued into the pump using PVC glue. The socket is removed.
If the pump is set up in this way, the pump head may not be less than 1 m. This way of
plumbing gives the best results, see fig 1 (capacity). With all other pumps, a threaded
connector has to be screwed on the pressure fitting of the pump. Diameters, see Tab.1."

Is there some reason you aren't gluing the socket in?

rsw686
06/24/2007, 05:32 PM
I glanced at the instructions when I opened it up, but I set them aside as I didn't see the english section. Doh its in the middle of the manual and yes the instructions do state what you quoted. I'll have to glue mine in. Thanks. I'm surprised nobody else with the OceanRunner pump noticed this before you.

JTEAGUE
06/24/2007, 08:36 PM
I did not glue mine and it has always worked fine.

sjm817
06/24/2007, 09:32 PM
That's nuts. A pump discharge that is just a press fit?? I would glue it external or submersed.

Good info.

RichConley
06/24/2007, 09:35 PM
Thats wierd, mine definitely came attached.

rickh
06/25/2007, 01:50 AM
Thats weird, mine definitely came attached.
Friction is the only thing holding it in. The problem is if you glue it and get over zealous tightening it and break it off, your screwed. R

jessezm
06/25/2007, 09:50 AM
I used Weld-On #40 2-part epoxy and glued a 3/4" union flush to the pump over the outlet. Works great, and I'm running it externally on a skimmer.

RichConley
06/25/2007, 09:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10208963#post10208963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rickh
Friction is the only thing holding it in. The problem is if you glue it and get over zealous tightening it and break it off, your screwed. R

Nope, just checked mine..they both have threaded sockets....both are the x700 line though, not the x500 line.

jessezm
06/25/2007, 10:05 AM
Yeah, the 3700's have unions glued to them since they are designed to be run externally with the T5000 skimmers

hahnmeister
06/25/2007, 03:30 PM
Yep, I bought the 3700s, and they had the metric unions glued on, so I had to cut them and redo them as US unions. Works great now!