PDA

View Full Version : Many ?'s About Rubble Zone Biotope Plans

ThomasinKind
06/20/2007, 08:38 PM
I think this is my best forum for this thread. My apologies for the really long post, I titled each so you can skip over things if you want. :)

The biotope I'm looking to create will be a small-scale version of a picture I stumbled upon--what I believe could be considered a rubble zone biotope. In the picture I [think I] could identify about 7 different species of 'stony' corals and 2 or 3 different species of 'soft' corals. Namely: Stylophora sp. (Cat's Paw), Pocillopora sp. (Cauliflower), Seriatopora sp. (Bird's Nest), Acropora sp., various members of the Faviidae family (Favia sp., Favites sp. and Platygyra sp.???? -- ("Closed Brain"), Lobophytum sp. (Leather), Sarcophyton sp. (Toadstool) and Sinularia sp. (Finger Leather). These were all growing on a couple of boulder formations surrounded by literally thousands of fish (damsels, chromis, anthias and tangs -- the only "reef safe"). I know that I will not be able to successfully keep this great of diversity within my small environment(s).

Tank, Sump and Stand
50gal display (36x18x18in) with a 30-40gal 'fuge and 15-20gal sump--possibly combined into a sump/fuge of 50-65gal. I really like the idea of doing an even larger fuge, but I have yet to figure out how I'm going to design a stand to allow this. Any ideas anyone?

Rockwork & Closed Loop:
I'll design my rockwork in two separate 'boulder/pile' formations with various sizes of rubble rock scattered throughout the surrounding sandbed. I was thinking about ways to hide the plumbing for a closed loop (I plan to run a OM Super Squirt for strong/random flow). Has anyone ever considered drilling an input approx. 2-3 inches off the bottom of the tank and running a section of PVC under their sand and then create a small PVC frame (drilled with multiple holes) that would also support their liverock structure? I'm hoping this would help eliminate any deadspots within the rockwork and help keep organic particles in suspension where they could be consumed by the tanks inhabitants or skimmed out of the tank. Plus this would allow me to do a (fairly) DSB for nitrate reducation and greater biodiversity. Any thoughts/potential pitfalls?

Corals:
I'm going to try to buy all aquacultured frags. Due to the fact that I'm concerned with allelopathy I think I'm going to omit the "softies" from the tank entirely. I want the focus of the tank to be on the "early colonizers" so Stylophora, Pocillopora and Seriatopora will be the main featured colors.
Other additions: 1 species of 'staghorn' Acropora and 1 or 2 Favia/Favites colonies.
Does this sound like too much diversity within such a small display? Also, has anyone successfully grown any of the Favidae family from a frag into a small-medium sized colony? I know they are slow (linear) growers and I'm considering whether or not I should opt to purchase a wild colony. Lastly, a question concerning the stocking process: I plan to allow my rock and sand to mature without anything in the tank for 6 months to a year (possibly with the exception of a small cleanup crew -- Cerith and Turbo snails added around the 6 month mark). After the 6-12 months is there a particular order anyone would suggest with stocking the corals?

Fish:
I would like to keep a small(ish) group (maybe 5 or so) of damsels. My problem: everyone seems to hate damsels and it's difficult to find any information outside of "they are really aggressive and should be avoided". That said, I would prefer to avoid watching a battle royale take place in my tank. Anyone have suggestions for species that are less aggressive towards each other? I have my sights on Dascyllus marginatus (Marginated Damselfish), but am unable to find any realiable information on them (or any place that stocks them, grrrrrr).

Thanks in advance for any insight and again my apologies for the really lenghty post. I appreciate any critiques/comments/questions.

-Thomas

ThomasinKind
06/20/2007, 11:07 PM
Concerning the Dascyllus marginatus (Marginated Damselfish) -- I found a brief blurp about them on wetwebmedia:

"Dascyllus marginatus (Ruppell 1829), the Marginate Dascyllus. Red Sea around to the Gulf of Oman. To two inches in length. Usually in close association with stony corals of the genera Stylophora, Acropora and Porites. Here in the Red Sea."

I just would like more information than that. I know they're related to the infamous (downright evil) Domino, so maybe I should start looking elsewhere. Help with fish selection(s) would be appreciated.
-T

sunfish11
06/21/2007, 11:36 AM
Coral Magazine recently had an issue that featured damsels and it had excellent information. Perhaps someone knows what issue it was...

Lisa

chillaxe123
07/15/2007, 03:18 PM
when your picking your damsels be sure to pick ones that grow to about the same size and with the same aggession levels. i tried this and after 3 month all that was left was tha domino damsel

dots
07/15/2007, 03:23 PM
H'bout posting that picture?