PDA

View Full Version : Bio filtration only? possible

niccas9
06/20/2007, 10:42 PM
I have two tanks one is a pretty well established 7 gallon minibow and the other tank is an up and coming 8 gallon. I ended up combining the 24w coralife to the 36w I had in the minibow and bought the 96w quad from coralife for the 8 because it is tall. I don't really have room for a hob filter because the light is wide and takes up most the room and my question is concerning the filtration. Would live rock be enough for filtration. I am making this into a prop like tank where I will be basically developing frags on live rock into colonies. Could I get away with this without a filter. Other than what I have put into the tank, lights, tools, coral I am going to cut back on the spending for the meantime, but any suggestions advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys

sunfish11
06/20/2007, 11:07 PM
Yes. It is possible and you will still need powerheads for flow . My 210 has no filter nor does my 24. I think you will find that this is the most accepted way of keeping a reef tank. You will need good water circulation.

Lisa

drummereef
06/21/2007, 12:11 AM
Yes, your live rock will act as the bio filter. Just make sure you have at least 1lb/gallon to do the job. Like the above said, don't forget flow, skimming, lighting, temp control, etc... ;)

niccas9
06/21/2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah I do have good flow but I think I may end up using the filter that is built in the tank as extra flow and just not use any medium. Thanks for the advice.