PDA

View Full Version : Corals and movement (like xenia)

erbio
06/21/2007, 04:15 AM
Xenias pulse as we know, what other corals move or pulse? I am looking to buy some more MOVEMENT! haha.

erbio
06/21/2007, 05:41 AM
so no one can give a few recommendations on some other pulsing or corals with a lot of movement?

conefree
06/21/2007, 06:26 AM
take it easy man,

it's still early in the morning and you only gave people an hour and a half to respond. Xenia are the only pulsing corals as far as I know, but if you are looking for movement, clove polyps or anthelia waves in the breeze pretty well. HTH

cowboyswife
06/21/2007, 07:26 AM
What about frogspawn, torch, octopus, bubble, or hammer?

ctreefer
06/21/2007, 07:29 AM
There is a species of leather that pulses as does xenia. Its much more subtle. Its also pretty hard to find and when you do its fairly expensive. That's the only other one I know of.

mstewart
06/21/2007, 07:41 AM
Although it doesn't pulse, I really love the movement of my pipe organ coral (Tubipora musica). A brisk current really makes these come alive. Plus they are easy to frag and won't take over your tank. They do require excellent water quality. I like the gentler movement with frogspawn too.

My pipe organ is bottom center of this picture:

http://public.fotki.com/mikestewart57/mikes-reef/p5270171.html (http://)

thrillreefer
06/21/2007, 08:38 AM
There are several types of xenia. There is the standard pink stuff, then there is the whiter pom-pom type, I think there might be one other, I've seen some with more blue. You could just have a xenia species tank and let the diff. types take over

conefree
06/21/2007, 08:39 AM
Good call on the frogspawn, etc. cowboyswife. I slapped myself in the forehead for not even thinking of LPS lol :rolleyes:

Travis L. Stevens
06/21/2007, 08:46 AM
There is a difference between moving on their own and moving because of water. There are quite a few corals in the family Xeniidae that pulse. Most notably are Pulsing Xenia and Pom Pom Xenia. But there are also a few Anthelia. In addition to that, there is only one other moving coral I know that is not from the Xeniidae family, and that is a Pulsing Sinularia. Other than that, they all move with the current.