PDA

View Full Version : Sunlight Supply TEK T5 HO

Chago09
06/21/2007, 10:12 AM
I know a lot of people are really happy with the retrofit kits although I have a bit of a problem. My tank is a odd shaped 30" by 18" and does not have a hood that can go on it. I don't want to build one because I will make it look horrible lol I noticed they also make the New Wave which is the same thing except it comes made for you I believe.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-fl-hood2.php?product_ID=sl-t5nw2404

I don't see how its almost the same price as the two bulb retrofit kit. Is this the exact same thing???? does anyone have one of these????? would be a eye sore on top of my tank with no hood????? I am thinking of using this without actually hiding it in a hood I am assuming these don't look that bad???

messina06
06/21/2007, 10:38 AM
that site is a bit pricey...just a heads up

papagimp
06/21/2007, 11:14 AM
I don't have the "new wave" model, but do use a teklight 4 x 54w T5 HO fixture (48") over my 55g. I have it hung from the ceiling and love the look of it. Doesn't look gaudy or anything without it being in a canopy.

As for it being similar in price to the retrofit kits, it's all in the marketing. And if you got a canopy later on, these fixtures are fairly easy to disassemble, I don't see why you couldn't gut the fixture and retrofit it into a canopy at a later date. Would just take a little bit more wire and all.