PDA

View Full Version : Could my undectable nutrients be coming from my fuge?

mmotown
06/21/2007, 03:25 PM
Guys I was wondering. This past weekend I treated my tank for red bugs. All of my copepods seem to be dead in my fuge. My fuge is fed from my main display. Over 2yrs my fuge has been fed by whatever came from my main display. The waste in there hopefully has been broken down by the bacteria and or worms and copepods. I have chaeto in it now. I had a algae outbreak and was wondering if I should vacume the fuge completely out and go with just chaeto. What do you think and why?

rawbomb
06/22/2007, 10:44 AM
i treated for redbugs myself and i kept the fuge disconnected to keep the pods etc alive. Even with that i still had a small algea outbreak after the treatment which i attribute to all the dead inverts pods etc and hermits i couldnt remove.

Seeing as how i had the same and my fuge is still alive in kicking im personally not too sure if that will solve your problem.

Dog boy Dave
06/22/2007, 05:43 PM
Some of your pods probaby made it. Mine have over the years. I would leave it alone and just deal with the nutrients with a little extra water changes.

mmotown
06/22/2007, 08:31 PM
cool..Thx

spankey
06/22/2007, 09:00 PM
Raw,

Please don't take this as a rant or bash, but I think that was a bad Idea keeping the fuge disconected when you treated! They can be in your fuge too. As a matter of fact when you treat you are even supposed to leave your skimmer run with the air off to get all available system water......

This is the only downfall with treating for red bugs, you need to do the "entire" system, thus killing all your crustaceans, including pods... I know it sucks, but I have a feeling you might be re treating again soon.....

:(