PDA

View Full Version : Update on using weld-on for ABS to glass

Alto
06/21/2007, 03:36 PM
I was curious after having read several posts referencing weld-on-10, and 811 two part adhesives as the magic product to bond an ABS bottom to glass sides. So I emailed Weld-on directly asking if either of those products would bond ABS to glass, and if it would provide a water proof seal and here is the response I got from the Weld-on rep. Given their response I would be highly suspect in using those products...

Dear Adam: Thank you for contacting us and your interest in our products. Unfortunately, we don't make a cement product that adheres to glass.
Regards,
Beverly

Adam wrote:

> Would industrial adhesives 10 or 811 be adequate to give a permanent
> water proof bond between a pane of glass and a sheet of PVC? If not do you have an adhesive that would do that?
>
> Thanks
> Adam

NOTE: Please update your address book with my new email address beverly.thompson@ipscorp.com to ensure continued delivery of mail.

Beverly Thompson Office: (310) 898-3304
IPS Corporation Web: http://www.ipscorp.com

MarkS
06/21/2007, 07:36 PM
That is what I have been wanting to post, but I knew I'd get slammed from those "in the know". The only substance that adheres to glass with any strength is silicone. Epoxy and similar resins do as well, but can be peeled off. The problem is that silicone does not stick to plastic at all. There is no good way to permanently bond anything to glass, except for more glass and then only by using a silica-based adhesive, i.e., silicone.

Alto
06/21/2007, 11:30 PM
Well I cant imagine anyone could possibly be more "in the know" then an official representative of the company who makes the product. If they say it doesnt bond to glass I would tend to believe them rather then just someone off the street who says it will. It might bond it well enough for a while but who knows how long it will last and I am not a fan of cleaning up busted tanks.

localdeltarider
06/22/2007, 01:52 PM
Weld-on is not the only adhesive company. if i were you i would contact loctite as well. I have used E 9000 to glue a plexiglass external overflow to a glass tank. Unfortunately i think i should have used E 9001 because the E 9000 has settled more where i think the E 9001 would stay in place.

Alto
06/22/2007, 02:21 PM
I was actually thinking that PC-7 or PC-11 would be the best bet. They actually claim that it will adhere to glass. I have used it in the past hobbies but never to glue anything to glass, but the place I bought it had a "demo piece" where they had nuts and bolts and wood plastic etc glued to a glass beer bottle and it was pretty damn well stuck to it.

kysard1
06/22/2007, 04:16 PM
Weld-on is not a glue, it is a solvent with a carrier, the resin comes from melting the plastic. The only adhesion to glass would be if a hydroflouric acid surface etch is applied to the glass, but it is dangerous and I still wouldn't trust the adhesion.

A 2-part Urethane should be used to glue plastic to glass with a primer. You will need a $200 caulk gun and the adhesives are expensive. It is not woth it for DIY unless you know someone in the auto-glass installation business.

Alto
06/22/2007, 04:53 PM
Just an FYI. Weld-On made by IPS corp, comes in hundreds of varieties. The solvent based ones are for acrylic, and not remotely what I am talking about here.

Weld-On 10 is a "Two-part, high strength, reactive structural adhesive for bonding PVC, acrylic, ABS, and polycarbonate. Also bonds well to steel, non-anodized aluminum, etc." 811 is the same but designed to extrude from a "caulking gun" style applicator. In this formula Weld-On IS a glue.

It was suggested by another poster on another thread to attach an ABS sheet bottom to a glass tank. And I was just passing on information I received from the companies representative which clearly states that it will not bond to glass.