PDA

View Full Version : Flow Question for My 20Gal?

jpeggerling
06/21/2007, 05:37 PM
I have a 20 gal with a flow problem. My tank is all LPS/Softies. I have been wanting to add some more flow. I have had 1 MJ900 in there for a while and I just added another one. Do you guys think that is to much flow for my 20 gal. tank.?

sir_dudeguy
06/21/2007, 06:09 PM
Too much?? No, not really, but i'd still replace them w/the hydor koralia. Either 2 K1's, or just a k2 or something. I've got a K1 in my aunts 10g and it does an awesome job...so i vote for 2 of those. They're 400gph each, so it sounds like a lot of flow, but it shoots the flow in a very wide path, so its really dispersed and not at all like the MJ's...the MJ's shoot a focused jet of water for lack of better term, and they seem very violent to me compared to Seio's and koralias...Plus the Koralia 1 is only 3 watts total haha.

jpeggerling
06/21/2007, 06:38 PM
I see what your saying Mike. I have them both blowing toward the front glass so their not blowing right on my corals.

sir_dudeguy
06/21/2007, 07:00 PM
Ya. With the Koralias, you can have them pointing more at stuff. You still dont want it DIRECTLY at stuff...well some stuff can, but you dont have to worry so much about pointing them in the right direction. Same with seio's, but the koralia i have has a wider flow than the seio i've got as well.

btw...it was you that was gonna come over to get a frag right? I know someone else was (and did), and i thought it was you that was also gonna get a piece as well haha...i just forgot about it.

reefman13
06/21/2007, 08:25 PM
I agree with sir dude. Two hydor K1's would be perfect. Or if you want to keep your existing pumps, I would add one more MJ900, and put hydor flow rotating heads on either all or two of them.

neverwouldof
06/22/2007, 08:46 PM
use as much flow without blowing sand around...

pledosophy
06/23/2007, 12:41 AM
For LPS there can be to uch flow. I was all about MJ's until I gor a Seio. Now MJ's are cool, but I doubt I'll ever get them again.

In my 20g I have 2 MJ 1200's behing the rocks and a MJ 900 with a hydor out in front. The flow is good but I have to becareful where I put my LPS. I also killed a cool SPS cause it was to close to a MJ. In smaller tanks it's easy to do.

Never used the Koralia so no comment there.

I did find by cutting the nozzle on the MJ it would disperse the flow a bit more so it wouldn't de so extremely focused.

JME HTH

sir_dudeguy
06/23/2007, 12:57 AM
thats another reason i dont like stuff like MJ's....they're too much of a concentrated jet, so you have to be careful where you point them. With seio's/koralias, you can point them pretty much any way you want. I had a large large torch right in front of the k1 in my 10 and it did fine.

I also cut the nozzle on my MJ...helped VERY minimal IMO..I cut it all the way back but yeah...