PDA

View Full Version : good way to stack liverock?

M2B3J
06/21/2007, 08:20 PM
I just started a 29G biocube and was asking for any advise on good ways to stack liverock to conserve space and look good at the same time

virginiadiver69
06/21/2007, 08:34 PM
It may be best to look at as many tanks as possible to get your ideas. Some things to keep in mind: keep it off of the front glass so you can keep the glass clean, be mindful of rock slides, try to build as many swim throughs and hiding places as possible.

t5Nitro
06/21/2007, 08:39 PM
I just pieced them together in my old tank. In the new tank I used some epoxy to epoxy them together. Some people drill holes in the rock to put them on a PVC pipe and you can make some really cool arches or towers with that method.

reefnetworth
06/21/2007, 11:46 PM
it needs room for flow, through and around it. it also depends on how much LR you plan on using before anyone could help you aquascape. :confused:
JDM :cool:

Am4nn
06/22/2007, 02:21 AM
PVC platforms are also popular.

alkataz
06/22/2007, 05:39 AM
I used a combination of epoxy and pvc. I used the pvc to stabilize the bottom and some of the more major arches and epoxy for exact placement of some smaller shelves and things. But a word of advice you might not want to secure the entire structure together in case you have to take something out. So that you can remove it in sections instead of having to dismantle the whole thing.

camocustom
06/22/2007, 07:16 AM
Check out mine! I still have some building to do, it will be done this weekend, so i will have more pics up....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1145141

i will be epoxying, in the pics though, nothing is permanant, i got lucky to have them all fit nicely

Wryknow
06/22/2007, 09:40 AM
I use and recommend black zip ties to hold rock work together. They do a great job and are easily removable if you need to take the rock pile apart for some reason. After a couple of months they get encrusted with corraline algae and are more or less invisible in the tank.

Chago09
06/22/2007, 11:25 AM
I never use anything... my 150 gallon has over 150lbs of live rock and it's all just stacked carefully is all. I just make sure when I place the piece that it doesn't wobble. Your fish would have to really crank it for it to move. Don't forget all your fish in your tank combined probably dont even weigh 1 pound. Its pretty tough for them to move a 4-8lb rock. Obviously just don't put the piece where its on the verge of tipping.

M2B3J
06/22/2007, 06:31 PM
thanks for the advice everyone....im slowly piecing this puzzle together

reeftexas
06/22/2007, 08:09 PM
I'm with Chago09,Stack carefully.When you are choosing your rock its like a puzzle.Visualize what you have already,then when getting more rock see what pieces will work for you.Thats what i do.Never heard of the zip ties Wryknow but i like it.HOOK-UM HORNS.fellow texan!!