PDA

View Full Version : Green Star Polyps Question

archndevil
06/21/2007, 09:13 PM
I bought a medium bundle of green star polyps the other day and they haven't been opening as expected. The first day and a half they opened and looked great. Yet for the past couple of days they haven't been opening at all. They are sitting on the sand. I was thinking that they may be adjusting to the lighting. I have a 150 compact MH (sunpod). All of my water parameters seem to be doing o.k. The only other thing i can think of is that there is a bit of brown substance hanging around about five of the polyps, kind of looks like algae. If you could help out or know where the best place for placement would be. I heard that these things are extremely easy to maintain and really would like them to pull through, because they look really good when opened. I will post some pictures later

Thanks,

Dave

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/archndevil/DSCN3641.jpg http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/archndevil/DSCN3642.jpg

I also did a lugol's dip today and two worms came off, they were not nudi's but looked more like a centipede almost an 1.5" long. Maybe this could of been it? Any comment would be greatly appreciated:)

sir_dudeguy
06/21/2007, 09:19 PM
The worms are probably just bristle worms...probably red or black, or a mix of both??? They're good to have.If you got one, you got a hundred.

Anyways, just let it be for a while. Probably just getting used to the water/lights. What were the lights on the tank they came from? And how long did you acclimate them?

Last thing...these things are super hardy, but also super picky. If something is out of wack in the water, they'll usually let you know first. But they'll also be the first thing to live through just about anything. They're like roaches in my tank :)

drummereef
06/22/2007, 12:51 AM
Could be just adjusting. I would let them go awhile and see if they start coming out. Their polyps can be finicky at times but they are next to impossible to kill.

archndevil
06/22/2007, 03:10 PM
I am not sure about the lights,but i think around 20,000 MH. I let them acclimate for about 20-30 mins...slow drip!

sir_dudeguy
06/22/2007, 04:00 PM
while it is only gsp and they're really hardy, 20 minutes isnt long at all IMO. I usually acclimate everything for 1 hour unless it needs more acclimation than that even.