PDA

View Full Version : 120 Custom tank build.

RyanM
06/22/2007, 08:42 AM
Well my quote came in from the glass place today and it looks like im going to go full speed ahead. The tank is a Custom built by me 120 gallon Starfire front. 48" long 24" high 24" deep. Viewable from all 4 sides. The front will be mounted in the living room wall for the picture frame look and the tank will sit in my bedroom.

The price for the cut glass panels including the starfire front is $350. I about droped to the floor when she gave me the price.
I could be wrong but that sounds VERY cheep. At that price why not build 2 :) .

So I guess I will start this tank build thread so all can see my mistakes along the way. I will take a boat load of pictures.

Wish me luck!

Piazzon12
06/22/2007, 08:56 AM
Sweet, good luck!
where you getting the glass from because that is very cheap! 1/2"? What are you planning for bracing/overflows?
and if you need a hand during assembly let me know... I'd like to build one myself one of these days

RyanM
06/22/2007, 09:16 AM
Being only 4' long 3/8" is plenty thick. I am getting the glass at Amazing glass and mirors in Owego. The bracing will be a euro brace that I will attempt to cut out of a solid sheet of 1/4". I ordered the 1/4" as if I was making a complete glass top and will dremil out the 2 big holes my self. I may break it but out of all the glass, that piece is the cheepest. As far as the overflows go, I have not made my mind up yet. I have tossed back and forth as far as 2 back corner or 1 back corner. I am kind of leaning twards 2 side overflows in the center of each side. But who knows. Ill desided the when it comes time to drill them :)

Im sure I could use an extra hand or 2 so I will for sure let you know.

flar92
06/22/2007, 12:06 PM
If you are going to have it viewable on all 4 sides why don't you put the overflow in the center ,say a 6"x12" rectangle? drill out holes in the bottom of the tank to accomadate a 2" bulkhead and 2 1" bulkheads for returns

RyanM
06/22/2007, 01:27 PM
I have thought about that to, but im not sure how that would look. An overflow box in the middle of the tank I think would be more visable than one each end.

nwrogers
06/22/2007, 04:16 PM
Cool sounds good! What about making overflows like Gary M's? or even better a Calfo style overflow...

RyanM
06/23/2007, 08:04 AM
I think I have desided to go with 1 single corner overflow. That would give me the best viewing from all sides I cant see the need for duel overflows. Im not big on the need for high volume
return. A refuge doesnt want high flow and the sump holds the skimmer that also doesnt NEED high flow thru it. Any one see any reason why you should need such a high flow that would make 2 overflows a must have? If I keep it to a single overflow then It truly will be viewable from all 4 sides. I have durso stand pipe on my tank I have now and love the function of it so I will go with that again.

drbronx
06/23/2007, 10:02 AM
Sounds great Ryan. I love those dimensions. How much do you think for the whole tank. I might have to consider one myself. I always wanted a tank with more width which would allow for better flow and more interesting rock placement.

RyanM
06/25/2007, 09:14 AM
Jerry, the glass is $350 so minus the silicon and wood for the frame thats about it. Of course bulkheads are a few dollars. I wouldnt see why it would cost me more than $450 for tank and frame ready to set in place. I also like the dimensions. Should make a sweet wall mount. Plenty of deapth when you look into it.
I was going to go 3 feet deep but changed my mind. Getting into a HUGE tank at that size and a 120 is plenty for me.