PDA

View Full Version : build it or buy it(mh and pc)

michael fruth
06/22/2007, 12:58 PM
hi i found this http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU01042 and wanted to no if i could build something with 2 150 watts HQI MH and 2 PC 130w atinics. is it possible to make it alot cheaper if it is has anybody done it and how.

michael fruth
06/22/2007, 01:12 PM
come on someone must have a diy lighting system

InADream
06/22/2007, 01:27 PM
I dont know about adding the atinics, but I built my MH setup for a lot cheaper... I have a 2x175 MH setup and it only cost me 225.00...

What I did was ordered my mogul sockets and brackets online, got them for 32.00...
I used aluminum gutter material from home depot for 8.00...
I built my hood from leftover job materials... If you had to build one from home depot, depending on size and materials needed probably cost around 50-75 bucks...
I found my ballast at a clearance sale and it cost me 125.00... You could use balastwise and get them at pretty good prices...
As for the bulbs I used the PlusRite Bulbs, regardless of all the hype and non hype about them, I like them alot... They were $50 for (2)...
As for the lunar lights, I went down to Advanced Auto Parts, and got a neon light used for cars... Wired it to a transformer and great moonlights for 20 bucks...

All together you are looking at around 300 for all that... As for atinics I believe they are sold around here for 24 for a set of sockets and 30 for the bulb... But please dont quote me havent looked at them yet...

PM me if any more info is needed

Dream

ludnix
06/22/2007, 01:42 PM
You can build you own canopy and set lights up in it for fairly cheap, especially if you're willing to get equipment off ebay and such.

Also you should know that it typically takes more than 14 minutes to start getting replies to your threads so be patient and don't bump threads that you started that day.