PDA

View Full Version : Calcium or Alk. which is more important?

rynon
06/22/2007, 04:09 PM
I read, read, read, and get so many different opinions on what's more important, calcium level (high) or alk. level (high). In your opinion, which matters more? FYI, I am having major problems keeping my calcium level above 350 (yes I checked the Mg) and everything seems perfectly happy. My acros are growing like mad, possibly the reason for the low calcium levels? I have a high nutrient level (I'm sure) which probably helps growth and has only affected one acros color. I am very low tech. compared to a lot of you. My acro additions are somewhat recent (less than a year), so I'll see what happens in time. Thanks.

tmz
06/22/2007, 04:17 PM
Balance between the two is important. They match up with each other to form the calcium carbonate that corals need for calcification. I shoot for 400ppm-425ppm clalcium with 3.5 -4.5meql total alkalinity. There are some very good writeups on this is the reef chemistry forum. Just find some of Randy Holmes Farley's posts.
Tom

corndogg
06/22/2007, 04:29 PM
Both are very important. In fact, one needs to be proportionate to the other. But, if I had to place one before the other, I would say:

1) Alkalinity

2) Calcium

Here is a good visual that demonstrates the relationship between the two in comparison with natural seawater.

Chemplot (http://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot.html)

Horace
06/22/2007, 04:39 PM
Both are very important, however Alk has a much lower tolerance for error. This is because Ca is in great abundance in the water, while Kh is not. The safe levels of Ca are about 370 - 450, where alkalinity IMO should be run between 7- 9 dkh. If alk swings more than a couple dkh in a short period (easy to do), its possible to crash your tank. Ca on the other hand can swing a good amount before it starts causing havok.... For that reason, I test Ca about once every 3-4 weeks, yet I test alk atleast once, if not more than once a week to ensure its dead on.

LobsterOfJustice
06/22/2007, 05:08 PM
Alk.

Dog boy Dave
06/22/2007, 05:31 PM
What Horace said x 2

rynon
06/22/2007, 05:31 PM
Wow thanks all, that's great. I really appreciate the opinions on this!!!! I always thought alk was more important but after all kinds of reading was getting confused. I used to have a alk detector in my tank, my trach. brain until my Regal tang took a liking to it, mine is high at 11 dkh right now but my corals always look extemely happy. I have not had a day ever where my corals looked bad(no polyps, poor color, have not lost one yet). Keep the opinions coming..........this is very interesting to me. BTW corndogg thanks for the link!

rynon
06/22/2007, 05:51 PM
BTW I am thinking of getting a kalk. reactor, opinions? AC or heat is on pretty much all year, so evap. is about the same year round.

trueblackpercula
06/22/2007, 07:10 PM
they work hand and hand .................try read some of randys articles

tmz
06/22/2007, 10:56 PM
You pobably know this but fyi you can convert meql to dkh by multiplying it by 2.8. Or in reverse your 11.8 divided by 2.8=4.2-high side but ok.