PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmers? Pic of tank as well

vanzea
06/22/2007, 05:33 PM
right now i do not have a protein skimmer for my 29 gal tank. i have talked to many people with mixed emotions on running skimmers on reef tanks. My question is do i need one right away, what are the benifits of having one, or what will i see if i dont run one. Right now i do not plan to have fish, maybe in the future but is it essential? what are some nice hang on skimmers? here is a pic of the tank let Long Tentacle Anemone 3-5"
me know what you all think thanks all

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data...8aquarium13.JPG

bues0022
06/22/2007, 07:01 PM
your link doesn't work

MTB
06/22/2007, 07:27 PM
A skimmer helps keep disolved organics i.e. fish poop put of the water column/tank which could break down into nitates ect. You can ussauly get away with less frequent water changes if you get a good skimmer.

BTW your link doesn't work.

Toddrtrex
06/22/2007, 07:51 PM
Here is your picture -- you forgot to put the IMG tags around it.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/159028aquarium13.JPG

Davidb6
06/22/2007, 08:04 PM
I put a skimmer (Remora Pro) on my new 65 gal. If you saw (and smelled) the junk this skimmer removes you would be amazed. I can’t imagine how your reef would be healthy with all this junk left in the water.

Andrew
06/22/2007, 08:09 PM
If you don't plan on having any fish in the tank for awhile than a simple hang on fuge and weekly water changes will do just fine.

drummereef
06/22/2007, 09:24 PM
Your tank is a borderline size for skimmers imo. There are plenty of 'nano' tanks that are skimmer-less. With diligent weekly water changes you can have a successful tank there's no doubt. Sometimes it's nice to have the skimmer as a backup in place, just in case things go wrong. You're call, but I've been happy with my Remora on my 40g. ;)

Toddrtrex
06/22/2007, 09:50 PM
Funny, I posted your picture for ya, but didn't comment.

On my 29 I am running an ASM 1GX ( in a 10 gal sump ). I just feel better about running it with a sump. Plus with that tank having SPS in it, I thought it would be best. In addition I do weekly 5 gal WC.

Here is a week old picture ( my camera isn't the best )
Edit, I mean the picture is from last week, tank has been set up for 5 months now.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/296_15.jpg

vanzea
06/22/2007, 10:50 PM
is a sump something that a novice like myself could get into? how does it work? i do have a few different size tanks around from past freshwater things. Might be a stupid question but do you use a ten gal tank for a ten gal sump? any good blue prints for seting one up?

Toddrtrex
06/22/2007, 11:17 PM
I think so, I've made 3 so far, and thought it was pretty easy.
As for how it works, I will go into more detail tomorrow -- the pain pills for my knee are kicking in, and I am sure I would screw something up. :)

Not a stupid question at all. Yes, I did use a 10 gallon sump that I picked up for a couple of bucks.

Here are a couple of pictures of my sump. Excluding drying time for the silicone, the whole thing took less than an hour.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/10galsump.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/10galsump2.jpg

The water get into the sump by the use of an U-Tube overflow that hangs on the back of the tank.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/OF2.jpg

magdelan
06/22/2007, 11:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10197487#post10197487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vanzea
is a sump something that a novice like myself could get into?

YES

how does it work? [/QUOTE]

You use an overflow to either syphon water over the rim of the tank and then down to the sump or you can have your tank drilled and install a drain to take water down to the sump. Then, you will have a pump in the sump to pump the water back to the main display tank.

i do have a few different size tanks around from past freshwater things. Might be a stupid question but do you use a ten gal tank for a ten gal sump? [/QUOTE]

Yes

any good bleuprints for a sump? [/QUOTE]

Go to www.melevsreef.com Click on acrylic works and DYI, then look to the left. Click on "how a sump works"

Hope that helps

Mike

mheaven
06/23/2007, 04:16 AM
i would get a skimmer if i were you . you will see the diff. in water clarity.

Zann
06/23/2007, 05:52 AM
hang on the back fuge and skimmer combo and you have all you need

sabbath
06/23/2007, 07:06 AM
I won't run a reef without a skimmer!

Davidb6
06/23/2007, 07:20 AM
Toddrtrex - I see you have an overflow. I hear good and bad stories from these not working properly. What's your experience. Also, what's the small tube (behind the U tube) in the overflow in your pic?

Toddrtrex
06/23/2007, 09:33 AM
I've only used the U tube type overflows ( Also have one on my 75 ) I have never once had it lose its siphon -- the one on my 75 has been running for over 3 years now. Granted it loses its siphon if I remove the tube, but never once because it wasn't working properly. IMO U-Tube overflows are the only way to go. While the are more expensive I prefer the ones from LifeReef -- better quality.

As for that small tube, that is a run of 1/2" plastic tubing that helps reduce the noise of the overflow.

Henry Bowman
06/23/2007, 09:54 AM
Your tank is a borderline size for skimmers imo. There are plenty of 'nano' tanks that are skimmer-less. With diligent weekly water changes you can have a successful tank there's no doubt. Sometimes it's nice to have the skimmer as a backup in place, just in case things go wrong. You're call, but I've been happy with my Remora on my 40g.

I agree completely. You are right on the edge of needing one ...or not. IF you are going to stock heavily, I'd err toward getting one

I have a 12gl nano that I have run for over a year without a skimmer. I do notice a difference in the overall look of the tank when I stay consistent about doing water changes. I also run carbon 24/7 in the overflow area.

rwblues
06/23/2007, 11:15 AM
i am jsut getting ready to get a new tank and is a reef ready tank better to buy

rwblues
06/23/2007, 11:19 AM
just wanted to know if a reef ready tank is better to but than a regular tank

reefnetworth
06/23/2007, 02:04 PM
if you plan on having a refugium/sump w/skimmer, yes its your best choice. if youre just gonna do hang on skimmer/sump/ref get a regular tank. its all in what you wish to do with your time and $$$ :D
JDM :cool:

Henry Bowman
06/23/2007, 10:12 PM
In the long run, I'd opt for the reef ready tank and put a sump / fuge underneath. It's easy to have an overflow and sump inside the stand to put your equipment in for the sake of keeping the tank looking clean. It is more expensive but easier to have one and not use it that much as opposed to not having one and wishing you'd done it later....

kuoka
06/24/2007, 02:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10198515#post10198515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sabbath
I won't run a reef without a skimmer!

Amen! :D