PDA

View Full Version : Tunze vs Wavysea

goodreef
06/23/2007, 10:23 AM
Hi Guys. I know that both perform different functions, but if I have the budget for only one or the other, which should I get??

Tunze TS48 (multicontroller + 4 x 6100) or
2 x Wavysea + with 2 x Sequence Reeflo Pump - Barracuda (about 4,000 gal/hr at 0 head)

Tank = 5ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft
Sandbed = 6 inches DSB
Corals = 50% SPS, 50% soft corals

AussieFlamehawk
06/23/2007, 10:40 AM
What about 1 x wavysea + 1 x OM 4way + 2 x sequence pumps?

goodreef
06/23/2007, 08:01 PM
The OM 4 way is a good idea ... but not avaliable in my country. Also, I'm thinking that it is easier to create a left-right water movement with 2 wavy seas.

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/23/2007, 08:08 PM
That's alot of flow coming out of a small output on the wavysea.
Would 2 x 6200's and 1 x Reeflo Dart into 1 x wavysea in the back center be an option?

goodreef
06/23/2007, 08:18 PM
I have not read about using 1 pump to 2 Wavysea.

Instead of getting 2 x Wavysea + with 2 x Dart, what if I get 2 x Wavysea + 1 x Barracuda??

Anyone see any problems??

E-A-G-L-E-S
06/23/2007, 08:21 PM
No, 1 Dart running 1 Wavysea (+) 2 x 6200's.

2 wavyseas run by 1 barracuda is good, but not enough flow for a 300g sps reef.

powdertang05
06/24/2007, 12:16 AM
well what im doing on my 120 is i have 4 outlets from the dart in a diamond shape and also one out of a wavysea with a tunze 6100 on the bottom of that i would recommend it. CL and tunzes work great more flow the better in my case total of 12,000 gph going thorugh my new tank.

gabe3d
06/24/2007, 12:34 AM
I have a Dart connected to a WavySea and a Barracuda connected to a OM4way for a 210. Surprisingly, just having the Dart with Wavysea on covers quite of bit of area. I've never tried a Tunze so i can't comment, never could get over how big they are.

maxxII
06/24/2007, 01:07 AM
I've got a wavysea on my 120, fed by a panworld 100px-x, which, according to the RC headloss calculator is pushing about 960 something gallons per hour. I also have two Tunze 6000's on a multicontroller in the tank. If funds permit, I'd go w/ both, but if not, I'd suggest the Tunze's.

The WavySea has some things to keep in mind:

1...They are not waterproof. If you get them wet above the seam where the top/bottom parts come together, it will no longer work. The manufacturer also advises this voids the warranty.

2...The stock mounting bracket that comes with the WavySea did not fit my Oceanic 120 RR tank. I had to order the larger acrylic bracket to mount it to rear wall of my tank. Otherwise I was stuck with mounting it on my tanks centerbrace, which wasnt feasible due to my return pump flow. Water literally splashed over the top of the tank...

3...Due to my choice of return pump and desired flow rate, the velocity coming from the single outlet of the Wavy Sea was pretty violent. I had to use PVC glue and Loc-Line to make a Y to split up and diffuse the flow.

4...There is no contact phone number for WavySea. Their only means of customer contact is via email.....which they are not real good about answering. I sent them 2 emails asking about mounting brackets and ways to diffuse the flow, and never recieved a reply.

Having said all that....I do like the WavySea, but I've only had it running for a few months now. I have no idea about its long term reliability. If I lived in Malaysia, I'd probably go with the Tunze's simply because they have a good track record with reliability, and you can get ahold of them for any possible customer service needs.

Nick

kodyboy
06/24/2007, 09:18 PM
add a penductor to the wavysea, much better output
make sure you get the wavysea + , it can take 3600gph

maxxII
06/24/2007, 10:49 PM
I've got the Wavy Sea plus, and I also have penductors...They dont just attach. You need to glue them somehow.

Nick

hahnmeister
06/25/2007, 12:08 AM
I think you can get more from a couple of tunzes on a multicontroller than a WavySea or two. The propeller pump moves some serious water.

kodyboy
06/25/2007, 07:16 AM
another option is a combo, have a attach a tunze pump to a wavy sea (I supose it could be used for a return as well, can't see why not) and have that move around. LOTS of water flow moving around the tank that way!

goodreef
06/26/2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks guys!! Some great points to consider, especially the fact that WavySea is not water proof!!! You would think that it is a given!!!

I only know of one guy in Malaysia that has a Wavy Sea Plus!! Will go visit him soon to see it in action before I decide!!

USC-fan
06/26/2007, 11:09 AM
thought about a tunze wavebox? That thing is awesome!!!

MplsMan
06/27/2007, 11:16 PM
i've been thinking about a wavebox for my 110 when i get it running, does it only consist of 1 unit ?
does it give a good wave motion back and forth ?
how much did it cost for the 1 you have.
thanks.

hahnmeister
06/28/2007, 12:36 AM
One unit...

On this page there is a VIDEO link at the top, as well as pics of the tank.
http://archiv.korallenriff.de/28interzoo/Tunze_04.html

Youtube also have a few vids, like a 75g with a 3" wave...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuVL6nYEqmc

Your stand and tank better be sturdy though, as you can see, its some massive weight shifting going on! It almost scares me... thats the only reason I dont have one.

goodreef
06/28/2007, 12:40 AM
Yep, I've been thinking of a wavebox myself ... but some friends sya that with the multicontroller, and tunze pumps, a wavebox is not necessary ... is this true??

wlchew
06/28/2007, 12:49 AM
Checked with him in malaysia...he is having both WavySEA and WavySEA +;)

hahnmeister
06/28/2007, 12:53 AM
goodreef, this is kinda true... it depends on the size of the tunzes to the size of the tank. I use a 6100 w/ the shroud from a 6200 in a 40B. If I put it on the shortest pulse setting, I can create a 2" wave in the tank just with the pump alone.

But this is a small tank with a large pump.

The wavebox adds some water volume displacement with the use of the box that greatly enhances its ability to make waves.

Using dual 6100s on a 120g, I can not make the same wave effect.

But nor would I want to tie up the pump like that. The wavebox is to make a wave motion, but with it, or with a 6100 in a small tank, it doesnt actually move water. It just goes back and forth.

So you need to have actual flow pumps in combination with the wavebox to actually provide flow. It may not take alot, but you need something.

Some people can get seasick from the watching a wavebox tank too. I saw a girl vomit once from one.