PDA

View Full Version : lion fish with reef?

EllisColes
06/23/2007, 06:33 PM
has anyone succesfully kept a dwaf lion with a reef?

AquaReeferMan
06/23/2007, 06:48 PM
My buddy keeps a fuzzy dwarf in his 55g reef. The key is to add the fish last.

EllisColes
06/23/2007, 07:31 PM
oh really?

Gluestick
06/23/2007, 08:52 PM
lions are ok to keep in a reef with corals and sessile animals like that, but they will eat smaller fish and shrimp, snails, etc...

Bebo77
06/23/2007, 08:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10202209#post10202209 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gluestick
lions are ok to keep in a reef with corals and sessile animals like that, but they will eat smaller fish and shrimp, snails, etc...

yup...

SDguy
06/23/2007, 08:58 PM
They will eat snails??

Titan*69
06/23/2007, 10:08 PM
They pass on snails and crabs, but if they're really hungry they'll attempt it and shortly after spit them out.

three-spot
06/23/2007, 10:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10201514#post10201514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaReeferMan
My buddy keeps a fuzzy dwarf in his 55g reef. The key is to add the fish last.

Mind telling me why, exactly? Lions, just becuase of the way they are designed, aren't exactly the kind of fish that's gonna give you aggression problems, so I can't see why they would need to be added last???

AquaReeferMan
06/23/2007, 11:32 PM
Yes but he had a number of shrimp and smaller fish. Since he added the Lion after them he didnt eat them. Once the Lion was in he tried adding a fire shrimp and a neon goby. He ended up eating them. I guess he thought whatever got thrown into the tank from there on was food.

Wolverine
06/24/2007, 07:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10202993#post10202993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaReeferMan
Yes but he had a number of shrimp and smaller fish. Since he added the Lion after them he didnt eat them. Once the Lion was in he tried adding a fire shrimp and a neon goby. He ended up eating them. I guess he thought whatever got thrown into the tank from there on was food.

Often the lion will decide later on to eat the other fish also. Pretty much whatever will fit in their mouth.
I usually tell people that they are coral safe, so you can have them in a reef. However, you shouldn't expect to be able to keep small fishes with them.

Dave

three-spot
06/24/2007, 09:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10202993#post10202993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaReeferMan

I see.

Gluestick
06/24/2007, 01:27 PM
Not sure what fish he had before that lion, but a neon goby will pretty much be eaten regardless of whether or not it was added before or after--- they're tiny! shrimp too, depending on size....

EllisColes
06/24/2007, 02:05 PM
just curious but what happens if the lion stings my hand? im not scared of it but just wondering what to expect?

saltyfishdude
06/24/2007, 09:26 PM
I have been keeping fuzzy dwarfs for sometime now. I have had no problem to this point. But not that it WILL eat any shrimp or fish small enough to be swallowed. Guaranteed. As long as you don't have that criteria, and unless you have a really aggresive fish ( which is rare ), you should not have any problems. This is an amazing fish to watch, and it looks great it a reef with lots of ledges and over hangs for it's own comfort. This lionfish is much more active than alot of it's relative Lionfish, which is cool too.

I have 2 and I absolutly love them, I also have shrimp and crabs. No incident to this point. I feed them live freshwater ghost shrimp every 3 - 4 days. They are great fish.

Wolverine
06/25/2007, 04:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10205577#post10205577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EllisColes
just curious but what happens if the lion stings my hand? im not scared of it but just wondering what to expect?

You'll probably wish you hadn't let that happen. For most people, it's very painful (dwarf lionfishes in general being more painful than full size, due to the amount of venom delivered). If you happen to be allergic to it (which is unlikely without having been stung before), or in poor health, then it could be fatal.

Dave

hankthetank
06/25/2007, 10:02 AM
Lionfish are the most peaceful fish in the ocean.....unless you fit in its mouth.They are not aggressive they are predatory.These are two terms that are often confused.If you are healthy and not allergic a lion sting will not kill you.You'll just wish you were dead!
FWIW if you get stung you deserve it.Some very simple rules will prevent a sting.#1 Know where that fish is at all times that you are in your tank.#2 Never put your hand where you can't see.

Doni
06/25/2007, 10:56 AM
I had an antennata lion fish that I adored. I had it weaned to eat thawed silversides and krill.

It behaved very well in my reef for several months but then started eating fish. I lost a cleaner wrasse and an orange skunk clown to it :( It would also stalk my cleaner shrimp and dare them to come out of their cave....

I almost removed all the small fish/shrimp just to keep him but I finally decided to take him to a LFS :(

I made a video remix of him... (Although I did, I do not recommend feeding on by hand due to the dangers envolved)
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/MrsDoni/Videos/th_7715c3f2.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/MrsDoni/Videos/?action=view&current=7715c3f2.pbr)

Here is some great lionfish info: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php

EllisColes
06/25/2007, 11:07 AM
ok so my question is answered, yes i can get one witha reef and its probably not a good idea to get stung!

Doni
06/25/2007, 11:12 AM
If you do get stung, I have read that hot water helps to neutralize the poison and minimize the reaction.

EllisColes
06/25/2007, 11:38 AM
feel kinda bad to say this but it would be kinda like a jelly fish right? and with jelly fish pee works wonders

Doni
06/25/2007, 11:49 AM
Interesting. I've never been stung by either and hopefully I never will. I could see it now... "Honey! Quick! Come here and...."

LOL~

EllisColes
06/25/2007, 12:11 PM
haha well i know a jelly fish hurt like all get out but its the acid in urine that settles the irritation! pretty good concept but im curious to who came up with and how the figured that out

Duddly01
06/25/2007, 02:41 PM
I have a fuzzy dwarf lion in my 50 gal. Doesn't bother the corals or fish, but I did make the mistake of introducing a few peppermint shrimp in the hopes of solving my aiptasia problem. My lion is very small and I thought it wouldn't be able to eat them but they are ALL MOUTH and can get down things that you would think there was no way possible. You really just won't be able to have shrimp or small gobies, they would be food at some point.

jgwinner
07/24/2007, 05:22 PM
My LFS said that a fuzzy lion wouldn't bother a cleaner shrimp or a blood shrimp.

Is this true?

I have a Blood shrimp who's pretty shy but getting around more now that he's (she's?) bigger. Maybe 2 1/2 inches long now.

Assuming I feed the Lion 3 times a week, would the blood shrimp become an appetizer at some point?

I'm thinking of the smaller fuzzy lions.

This is for a reef tank the other inhabitants would be a Rabbitfish (very shy) and 6 pseudochromis. And some corals.

== John ==

RGBMatt
07/24/2007, 06:31 PM
My lionfish is about 5" long and hasn't bothered my cleaner shrimp in the year since he's been there. As long as your shrimp stays big enough, there shouldn't be any problems - they only chase things that are small enough to swallow.

I've been poked by dwarf lions a few times and, while it hurts, it's not too bad. Feels like a bee sting. You have to work pretty hard to get stung, though - they're very passive by nature and will keep their distance if they feel threatened. All of my stings were from grabbing them during capture.

thor32766
07/24/2007, 09:02 PM
yeah really a chance either way. if you dont mind giving up the smalller things they are pretty good.