PDA

View Full Version : T5 vs. PC lighting help

bues0022
06/24/2007, 09:07 AM
I posted this in the "New to the Hobby" forum butdidn't get many hits on it. Maybe here you guys can help me out a little:

I have a question for you guys about what I should do with my lighting. I'm still gathering gear for my 58, so I haven't tested anything yet. I want to keep about everything (maybe not clams just yet, and not so much sps, but some higher up might be nice) I have a hood so everything would be mounted inside it. So here goes:

I have a 2X96W PC fixture left over from my freshwater days. I already have standoffs built into the hood to hold this. The bulbs are toast, so I'd need new bulbs for sure.

I also just purchased 2x39W HOT5 with basically new bulbs. They are 1 X Blue Plus and 1 X Blue.

I also have 2 more reflectors for T5, but nothing else.

I also have the opportunity to purchase a 4x39W T5 w/o bulbs for only $100. (not sure if VHO or HO, and what's the big difference?)

So...what should I do? Should I keep the PC and get new bulbs. Then I could put the T5 on either side. Sell the whole lot and buy the 4x39W setup? Purchase the rest of the gear needed for the other 2 T5? If I did this what would that price come out to, and what bulbs/order should I get (in your opinion)? Would this be just as expensive as getting the 4x fixture? Also, keep in mind that I'm a student strapped for cash, so I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck. Thanks for the help!

aninjaatemyshoe
06/24/2007, 09:40 AM
First off, T5s are much much better than PCs in terms of light output and efficiency (both bulb efficiency and efficiency from reflectors). What 2x39W T5 fixture do you have now? You'll need more light if you plan on ever keeping clams or SPS. Even the 4x39W setup might not be enough depending on what it is exactly. The only VHO T5 setups that I know of are the Icecaps and some of the very high end T5 fixtures (I doubt you would be able to find one for $100, and if you do I want to know where!!!). The Icecap setup you might be able to find used for that price, but I'm betting you are looking at an off-brand retrofit or something. Since bulbs cost around $20 each, you'll be talking about $180 in the end, but you could keep the two bulbs you have already to save some money. As far as bulb selection goes, someone else might have more specific advice, but I'd suggest getting UV Lighting Supply bulbs and go with a mixture of daylight and actinic. Daylight bulbs are better for coral growth, actinics are more for color and fluorescence. Personally, I would go with more daylights as I don't really like the blue look, but everyone has their own preferences. Also, make sure that the fixture you are looking at has individual reflectors (in other words don't get the Current USA fixture or Marineland fixture). If it doesn't have individual reflectors you're missing out on alot of light. A better choice in that case would be to stick with your current T5 fixture and buy a 2x39W retrofit from Hellolights.com (~$100) to add to it.

bues0022
06/24/2007, 09:56 AM
aninjaatemyshoe - thanks for the help on this! The 2x39 I have now is a HO retrofit kit. I'm still trying to get specifics on which fixture it is, but I do know it's not a retro. You confirmed my thoughts on selling the PC fixture and putting the money towards the T5 stuff. I'll look into the Hellolights.com stuff too. Thanks for the help. Anyone else have thoughts on the bulb color?