PDA

View Full Version : LFS in Rantoul ?

UH_OH_5_OH
06/24/2007, 11:20 AM
What's the name of it...? or a phone number quick !

UH_OH_5_OH
06/24/2007, 11:23 AM
It was sent via a pm.......thanks !!!!

UH_OH_5_OH
06/24/2007, 11:25 AM
OKAY !!! Is this place open on Sundays??? The Aquarium in Rantoul !!!

w2
06/24/2007, 11:35 AM
No. Sorry.

philagothos
06/24/2007, 11:43 AM
Not open on Mondays either. I think their hours are 10AM-6PM Tuesday -Saturday.

UH_OH_5_OH
06/24/2007, 12:03 PM
AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ! ! ! !! ! ! !

I am soooo trying NOT to have to drive to B/N for a freakin' cleaner shrimp/goby ! ! !

PLEASE...someone.....help me out here !!!!

saltyseaman
06/24/2007, 12:25 PM
I believe I saw a cleaner goby at Sailfin, but you'll have to double check.

UH_OH_5_OH
06/24/2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks...on the phone with them now !

UH_OH_5_OH
06/24/2007, 12:38 PM
No dice ! Maybe tuesday...at the earliest !

syrinx
06/24/2007, 12:53 PM
Did you try leisure time? I know they are a binch of knuckleheads, but the couple of items I have bought from them over the years- i still have. Would have to go look though as they wouldn`t know a cleaner shrimp from a tofu salad.

saltyseaman
06/24/2007, 01:04 PM
I agree w/ syrinx

On that same topic, you may have talked to somebody on the phone at Sailfin who knew what they were talking about, but there is a chance you got someone that doesn't know any better or may have missed seeing one in the tanks. They are small (about 1") and easy to miss. You may want to drive over there and look for yourself. Just a thought.

philagothos
06/24/2007, 04:20 PM
It's been a few weeks since I was last at Sailfin, but they had a gold cleaner goby at the time. I have a blood red shrimp that is listed as a cleaner shrimp by Dr. F&S, but I can't promise it will work. Call me if interested 778-2057.

-Kevin

syrinx
06/24/2007, 04:40 PM
The coral banded, skunk, and blood red are all three classified as cleaners. Thats why its odd no one has one- thats the basic non peppermint complement everyone sells.

seachel71
06/24/2007, 05:05 PM
I was in sailfin yesterday...they didnt have any cleaners shrimpthat I saw... they did have coral banded shrimp.. didnt look at the fish much.

I have several things from Leisure Time... I know most people arent crazy about them... but I like them ok. Tim will know if they have a cleaner or not... there is one girl there (sorry don't know her name) that seems pretty knowledgable. She has salt tanks at home. I got my cleaner shrimp there in January and my angel in April. Both are doing well. I wouldnt buy their corals or anemones but the fish and inverts seem ok.

I also think they are usually open later.

webbstock
06/24/2007, 09:34 PM
Uh_oh

I would really suggest the fish trap for your ich and pull the fish out so you can treat them. I'm not sure that a cleaner shrimp/fish will be able to keep up with a current ich outbreak.
if you are in the C/U area I can help you build one (always wanted to try)

It is my understanding that the cleaners can only really help prevent ich outbreaks, but not stop one in its tracks.

cgarza
06/28/2007, 11:12 PM
Where is the pet shop in Rantoul? I live in the Chicago area and drive down there to install wireless internet down there for verizon. I would like to stop in and see what they have.

Thanks

seachel71
06/29/2007, 06:52 AM
It is in downtown Rantoul. Big yellow awning. I can't remember what street it is on... but then downtown Rantoul is like 6 square blocks, so you can drive around a min and find it. I have heard mixed reviews.

cgarza
06/29/2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks

philagothos
06/29/2007, 11:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10238671#post10238671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seachel71
I have heard mixed reviews.

The selection is not huge, but the prices on livestock are usually very competitive with online (blows away Champaign prices). Prices on drygoods are usually a little higher than online, but still less than Champaign. If there is something in particular you are looking for you can let him know by Monday and it will be there Wednesday. He also gives decent trade-in credit for frags. In addition, I've seen very few sick fish in his tanks. It's a small town full-service pet shop, I was surprised to find out they even have saltwater. IME, they are much friendlier than their local competitors with better prices but limited in-store selection. I don't know that I would drive from Champaign on a regular basis just to browse, but living in Rantoul, I hardly ever drive to Champaign just to browse.

When I lived in Knoxville there were two fantastic saltwater stores. One of them I would rate 5 out of 5, the other probably 4.5 out of 5. On Sailfin's best day I would give them a 3, but usually only a 2.5, Leisure Time gets 0.5-1 star (being generous). The Aquarium in Rantoul gets a 2-3 rating, depending on what you are looking for.

Well, there's one more review, and I guess I'm a little mixed as well. One caveat, his knowledge is a little old-school, but seems to work. For up-to-date info I usually check here and other forums (I have yet to find a LFS that knows much about T5s, though I think there might be one is Bloomington).