PDA

View Full Version : Which fish done it ???

agreeive?fish
06/24/2007, 04:40 PM
My full grown harliquin tusk got his side injured at the tail/body connection.. since it is an open wound he has been moved to a 20 gallon hospitial tank and medicated and seem to be doing well but its only a few hours since i seen the open wound...

tank mates..

dogface puffer full grown
stars/stripes puffer full grown
sailfin tang full grown
panther grouper full grown
V. lionfish full grown
scat 6 inches
3 columbian sharks 7 inches each
6 enginer golbies all full grown

(definition of full grown for my fish is the estimated size they will grow to but in my opinion fish will continue to grow until death just at a very slow rate after reaching thier normal size )

I suspect it may be a puffer but i dont know..any opinions

agreeive?fish
06/24/2007, 04:43 PM
for got to mention tank size...6 foot x 2 foot x 29 inches 210gallon

billsreef
06/25/2007, 06:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10206255#post10206255 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agreeive?fish

(definition of full grown for my fish is the estimated size they will grow to but in my opinion fish will continue to grow until death just at a very slow rate after reaching thier normal size )

I suspect it may be a puffer but i dont know..any opinions

One of the puffers is the most likely culprit. However, your going to have to observe their behavior closely to confirm.

BTW, your opinion on fish growth also happens to be verified fact ;)

mattyice
06/25/2007, 12:18 PM
that seems like alot of large fish for a 210

bigred16
06/26/2007, 09:57 AM
My guess is one of the puffers, possible the S&S puffer. I had one that bit the whole tail off my 8" Lunar wrasse, which will never grow back, bit half the face and tail off my clown trigger, and probably had a hand in several other fish deaths. The funny thing is that he never showed any aggression when I was around.

snapper1
06/26/2007, 04:50 PM
puffer with out a doubt

agreeive?fish
06/26/2007, 07:57 PM
Update:

Harliquin Tusk seems to be healing...eating and swimming..some what shy for him/her though....

mattsilvester
06/27/2007, 06:44 AM
I can't see anything else having the teeth / jaws to inflict the wound you desribe, other than the puffers..... any horror pics to act as warning?

agreeive?fish
06/27/2007, 06:07 PM
no warnin pics...still reading the directions on wich way to put the battery into the cammera ...then i have to figure out what direction to point the camera in to take a picture.

Harliquin tusk is doing fine....eating and swiming and acting close to normal still a little on the shy side...wound looks better looks as if it is healing..all by his lonsome in the hospital tank

i dont know what changed where a puffer took a bite out of the harliquin..the tank had not had any additions in 6 months and the puffer(s) and haliquin had been in the tank together for about
1 & 1/2 years

mattsilvester
06/28/2007, 02:04 AM
sometimes fish just get notions....... "I wonder what would happen if......" sometimes they make mistakes - aiming for what is thought to be a piece of food and miss..... sometimes they just get angry with a big clumsy tuskfish swimming in front of them all the time, getting in the way, and they just snap...... and some times its for just for no reason at all........