PDA

View Full Version : My SHOCKING new Outer Orbit fixture

DankReefer
06/24/2007, 06:59 PM
I set up the 36" outer orbit HQI/T-5 fixture in the beginning of may. Great lights, real bright, solid frame, a little loud but no too loud to complain about.

I was reaching around in my tank today moving around some new rock, and it gave me a little zap:eek: . The screws on the end covers, and a few parts on the face of the fixture are giving me a little shock when i touch them.

Anyone else have this problem?

What should i do to fix this?

Whats the correct term to use when a piece of equipment is sending its volts all wily-nilly like this?

sditch
06/24/2007, 10:29 PM
I have a 48" outer orbit and it does not shock me, it sounds like a grounding or water issue.

Check to make sure there is no water around any of the wiring outside and inside the fixture. You may want to install a GPF socket between your lights and the wall\powerstrip to be safe until you figure it out.

strayvoltage
06/25/2007, 10:41 PM
get yourself a grounding probe. The term for the voltage that you are talkng about is stray voltage. I had the same problem when I would have my hand in th etank and my arm would touch the light , it would give me a little zap. I put a grounding probe in the tank and it took care of the problem. And yes that is where my name here came from.

pleaselaunchme
06/25/2007, 11:40 PM
It it only happens when your hand is in the tank, then you have something leaking current in the tank. If it happens with dry hands, the fixture has a short in it.

Not to be rude, but it seems that everytime someone has malfunctioning equipment shocking them, the first response is to use a ground probe. This is just masking a problem, not fixing the safety issue at hand. Also, without a GFCI outlet being used, a ground probe is still fairly dangerous- it makes it easier for the current to flow.

Ben

RONCGIZMO
06/25/2007, 11:58 PM
Are you using the 3 prong plug or did you cheat and use it in a 2 prong? if you used all 3 you might want to look at the wiring inside the unit and make sure the ground is good....and like Ben said a GFCI is a must, spend the 12 bucks it can save you your house and your kids.
I almost lost everything without it on my first tank, my girlfriend heard this loud popping and woke me up at 5am and I had a fire in my sump from a cheap pump on my skimmer....well worth the few bucks for the GFCI

DankReefer
06/26/2007, 08:37 AM
Its happening with dry hands, so I guess I'll be looking for someone to help me troubleshoot its insides, got a GFCI and will be installing it today.
Thanks guys

compulou
06/26/2007, 08:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10217236#post10217236 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DankReefer
Its happening with dry hands, so I guess I'll be looking for someone to help me troubleshoot its insides, got a GFCI and will be installing it today.
Thanks guys

Dude were did you pick up your lights? This is a fairly new light and should still be under warranty. Did you buy it at Dr. Fosters? If it was them give them a call and they should just send you a whole new light. If not give Current-USA a call. If it was me I wouldn't be messing around inside that light if is under warranty.

BTW, I've had thier older model 36" Outer Orbit HQI with PC's for a year and a half with no problems what so ever. Now I can't wait to upgrade to the dual 150!!!