PDA

View Full Version : Ocellaris or true perc?

JC_UF_ITK
06/25/2007, 08:57 AM
I'm looking for a pair of clownfish for a 29 gallon bio cube and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations between an ocellaris or true perc pair? Also, is it best to go with tank bred or wild? Thanks.

kevin2000
06/25/2007, 09:36 AM
My 02

In general I think percs are more aggressive than ocellaris .. but not enough to make a big deal.

A tank bred clown is more likely to survive than a wild caught clown .. its already acclimated to captivity and more likely to recognize your store bought fish food.

If you can purchase your tank bred clown directly from a recognized breeder you can get the bonus of purchasing a disease free fish. However .. tank bred clowns purchased from your LFS are likely to have been exposed to the same diseases a wild caught fish has (through the wholesale/distribution system as well as whatever disease was aleady in the LFS tank).

Hope this helps.

deklin
06/25/2007, 09:53 AM
I vote for ocelaris tank bred. They are more hardy than true percs which can actually be very difficult to get eating prepared foods for the first time. Also true perculas have a staggering mortality rate from collection to the point of a LFS selling to a hobbyist.

UntamedBreez
06/25/2007, 10:16 AM
I like true percs...personally think they have better coloring

always buy tank breed...if possible some species are wild caught only
TB are more likly to survive in most cases healther plus you not taking a fish out of the ocean

triggerman41
06/25/2007, 05:11 PM
ya, i like true percs. i have a pair in my tank

zma21
06/25/2007, 05:17 PM
I have one of each, and they paired.

kkyyllee
06/25/2007, 05:19 PM
neither are any harder to care for than the other so its just a matter of personal preference , i say ocallaris tho

smac
06/25/2007, 11:58 PM
Personal preference of course, but I personally think the ocellaris are a bit more colorful.

pammy
06/26/2007, 04:30 AM
Is there a list somewhere of recognized clown breeders where I could buy a quality pair of true percs or ocellaris? Not looking for a breeding pair...just two juvi's or whatever.

Thanks!
Pam

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10210181#post10210181 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevin2000
My 02

In general I think percs are more aggressive than ocellaris .. but not enough to make a big deal.

A tank bred clown is more likely to survive than a wild caught clown .. its already acclimated to captivity and more likely to recognize your store bought fish food.

If you can purchase your tank bred clown directly from a recognized breeder you can get the bonus of purchasing a disease free fish. However .. tank bred clowns purchased from your LFS are likely to have been exposed to the same diseases a wild caught fish has (through the wholesale/distribution system as well as whatever disease was aleady in the LFS tank).

Hope this helps.

virginiadiver69
06/26/2007, 06:42 AM
ORA farm seems to be the standard. They don't sell to the public so if you are lucky you will have an LFS that will make an order with them, or you could do mail order with an online vendor that deals with ORA. If you want to go tank bred you pretty much have to go with false percs though. I love mine, They took to prepared food right out of the gate and have a lot of personality.

pammy
06/26/2007, 06:50 AM
Thanks!! I'll look into who deals with ORA Farm. Pam

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10216705#post10216705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by virginiadiver69
ORA farm seems to be the standard. They don't sell to the public so if you are lucky you will have an LFS that will make an order with them, or you could do mail order with an online vendor that deals with ORA. If you want to go tank bred you pretty much have to go with false percs though. I love mine, They took to prepared food right out of the gate and have a lot of personality.

szwab
06/26/2007, 08:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10216395#post10216395 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pammy
Is there a list somewhere of recognized clown breeders where I could buy a quality pair of true percs or ocellaris? Not looking for a breeding pair...just two juvi's or whatever.

Thanks!
Pam

check in the clown fish forum. buying through a LFS or online the ORA fish will still get put in the same system as all the other fish.