PDA

View Full Version : Amber alert! Missing Cardinal's

OffshoreNdeep
06/25/2007, 01:23 PM
Ok, So I had 2 perfectly normal Bangaii Cardinals for a few months. I have a 1.5 year reef, all things are fine, mixed corals mushrooms, LPS and other fish all fine...the other day I noticed both of them completely vanished.

I checked filters, under rocks with flashlight, sump, behind/under tank, nothing!

I have an RBTA that hosts a black/white ocellaris and LTA hosting a regular ocellaris. The only thing I can think of is that I have a small blue throat trigger. Is it possible for him to eat both cardinals? I have 2 skunk cleaners that have never been bothered and the Blue throat has never bothered any of the other fish ie. small hippo and 2 lyretail anthias or the cardinals. So I eliminate the idea of mantis b/c the skunks are still fine.

I am so puzzled and just needed to ask if anyone has had this experience before. I would like to replace them, but before I do I am at asking for any thoughts. Thanks!

J. Montgomery
06/25/2007, 01:54 PM
I had a blue green chromis die last night (was still alive at 4:00 AM), and by 8:30 the clean up crew had consumed half of him (peppermint shrimp, hermits, nassarius). It seems possible that it could have died in the tank and been consumed afterwards before you could notice them missing.

I've never heard of triggers eating other fish, but . . . ?

snappedbigfoot
06/25/2007, 02:02 PM
what thats all my lfs feeds them, triggers will eat fish

mattyice
06/25/2007, 03:30 PM
bluethroats will eat fish but not like that, he would of eaten the fish the day he was in the tank not that much longer