PDA

View Full Version : reproducing featherdusters

salttess
06/25/2007, 02:51 PM
We have two of the bigger featherdusters, I believe the Hawaiian type, in my mother-in-laws tank. When we rearranged the rock, they ended up back to back. Now one month later, we have about 20 babies that are about 2 and a half inches tall. We want to move some to my tank. I tried to dig one out of the sand, but it went really deep and I wasnt sure about disturbing the sand. How do I get them off a rock? They are on rocks and in sand.

TIA,,,,,,Tina

LeslieH
06/25/2007, 03:55 PM
When you start digging a worm will retreat to the buried end of it's tube. Don't worry about tearing the part attached to rock as they can rapidly rebuild the tube within a few days. You do need to be gentle but just pull it off. If it's okay to disturb the sand bed I would fan away the sand; otherwise use your hand (in a glove) to gently dig around the tube & lift it up. Have a plastic bag submerged & move the tube into the bag to minimumize exposure. Good luck!

salttess
06/25/2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks, I'll try. I was afraid of squishing the worm itself as I was trying to get it off the rock. Tina