PDA

View Full Version : Introduction/Equipment List

amr952
06/25/2007, 07:05 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am Andrew and I have just joined the forum (obviously :rollface:)
I am from Farmville Virginia. My only experience is with a 29 gallon FW tank that I currently have. I have been reading this very informative forum for the last couple of weeks; I am very impressed by the extent of the knowledge around here. Finally here comes the good stuff.

I have just purchased a used 55 Gallon tank/stand/light fixture (2x55W T6 10000k, 2x55W T6 Actinic) plus a bunch of chemicals, and a API Saltwater Test Kit and a Fluval 404 Canister Filter (which serves no use to me). I plan on using this tank as a Reef tank with fish (Not sure of the acronym). I have not completely decided on what kinds of Coral so I am going to try and build around the most difficult Coral to keep. Besides what I currently have I plan on purchasing:

1) Aqua C EV-120 (Protein Skimmer) w/ Mag 7
http://www.proteinskimmer.com/products/EV120.htm

2) TheFilterGuys Ocean Reef +1 75GPD (RO/DI)
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm
(Already Ordered)

3) Float Valve for RO/DI
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps/ps_ViewItem~idproduct~KM1675~idCartRow~5151834~isKit~0.html

4) Maxi-Jet 1200 x2 and I already have a Maxi-Jet 900. (How is that going to be for flow?)
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps/ps_ViewItem~idproduct~AS1117~idCartRow~5151835~isKit~0.html

5) API Calcium Test Kit, API Phospate Test Kit, API KH Test Kit, Salifert Magnesium Test Kit.

6) External Return Pump (Opinions on Brands?)

I am sure that I forgot something but just let me know if I did.
I am going to post up a drawing in a little while for my plans for the sump for this tank. It is going to be a little out of the ordinary (It seems to me at least). I will also be asking about LS/LR in the near future.

Sorry for such a long message. I just wanted to introduce myself and the equipment I plan to use. If you have any Comments/Suggestions please post them up, I can use all of the advice you guys want to dish out.

Thanks Again,

Andrew

afelder
06/25/2007, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't go with the maxijets I would get the Koralia 4's 1200gph and less energy than the maxijets. If you want an external pump the reeflo darts are pretty popular. I actually prefer submersible pumps but for flexibility I went with the eheim 1262 so that it can be run either way.

Shagsbeard
06/25/2007, 07:38 PM
I'll second the submersable... they're usually a lot quieter too. You should also get tests for the nitrogen cycle: Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You don't need the accuracy here that you can get with salifert tests since you're really only concerned with yes/no type readings. You can get some reading off a nitrate test, but again, it's pretty much yes/no.

You can run your fluval occasionally with only activated carbon in it. It's also a great way to start a QT. Run your Fluval for a few weeks in your display, then transfer it to your QT.

amr952
06/25/2007, 07:48 PM
Here is a quick picture I threw together real quick in paint. The depth of the picture is 9 3/4". Let me know what you think of that. If the pictures does not make sense let me know I will try and draw something better.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/amr952/SumpPictures.jpg

amr952
06/25/2007, 07:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10214207#post10214207 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by afelder
I wouldn't go with the maxijets I would get the Koralia 4's 1200gph and less energy than the maxijets. If you want an external pump the reeflo darts are pretty popular. I actually prefer submersible pumps but for flexibility I went with the eheim 1262 so that it can be run either way.

I have heard alot about the Koralia's. I will definitly give that some thought. I am looking for an external pump to save room in the sump but I may try and make the sump larger if possible. Will two of the Koralia 4's be to much flow? If not they sure seem like a great PowerHead.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10214272#post10214272 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shagsbeard
I'll second the submersable... they're usually a lot quieter too. You should also get tests for the nitrogen cycle: Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You don't need the accuracy here that you can get with salifert tests since you're really only concerned with yes/no type readings. You can get some reading off a nitrate test, but again, it's pretty much yes/no.

You can run your fluval occasionally with only activated carbon in it. It's also a great way to start a QT. Run your Fluval for a few weeks in your display, then transfer it to your QT.

Yeah I was thinking about that, I guess I will keep the Fluval then. I currently have some Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon, is that stuff any good?

Yes I have the tests for the Nitrogen Cycle, I have the API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit (Nitrite, Ammonia, Nitrate, PH)

Thanks for the advice.

Andrew

afelder
06/25/2007, 08:23 PM
I am running 1 in a 29 gallon tank and amprobably going to go with 4 in the new 70 gallon.

afelder
06/25/2007, 08:24 PM
I am running 1 #4 in a 29 gallon tank and am probably going to go with 4 #4's in the new 70 gallon.

amr952
06/25/2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah, the Koralia 4's do look much better then the others. So I have changed my "Shopping Cart" to Koralia 4 x2. I would edit my post but it wont let me because it has been over 60 minutes.

Thanks for the advice on that one, they seem much worth the extra money.

amr952
06/26/2007, 06:10 AM
I have another question, I currently have a tank that does not have holes drilled. I have found a LFS that will drill my tank for me at the price of $20 per hole (how does that price sound?). I am looking to do a Corner Overflow or Center it really does not matter.

First question is can you buy the actual corner peice so it only skims the top of the water instead of putting the hole at the top of the tank? Also how far down and what size hole should I have drilled? I was thinking about drilling a 1" hole for the drain.

Now for the water coming back into the tank, do you normally drill a hole for this? Or is it better just to go over the rim of the tank?

Thanks for all of your help.

Andrew

amr952
06/26/2007, 07:47 PM
Ok, I decided on a Corner Overflow. I am going to have the local glass shop cut the glass for my corner overflow tommorow. I will also be bringing the tank in the next few days to get it drilled (How far down is the hole usually?).

I am thinking a 3"x3" overflow will be perfect. I plan on using a 1 1/4 inch PVC so the bulkhead hole size should be 2 1/4.

Let me know if all of this sounds like it will work.

Thanks for all of the help.

Andrew

afelder
06/26/2007, 09:00 PM
Usually if you have an overflow box the holes are drilled in the the tank bottom. If the bottom is tempered though you can put the hole anywhere in the box. Just make sure the overflow box is fully sealed to the tank otherwise you could have flood issues.

amr952
06/26/2007, 09:07 PM
Yeap, the bottom sure is tempered so I will have them drill it somewhere else.