PDA

View Full Version : Hang on Skimmers

Pages : [1] 2

happyface888
06/25/2007, 09:26 PM
Any suggestions on good hang on skimmers, Im currently using CPR bak pak and it seems the skimate isnt thick so any suggestions? Thanks

reefnetworth
06/25/2007, 11:33 PM
AquaC Remora. much better than a CPR. i once owned a CPR, now i have Remora. thay are much better in many ways. :)
JDM :cool:

drummereef
06/25/2007, 11:47 PM
I use a Remora on my 40g and am happy. :)

hahnmeister
06/26/2007, 01:45 AM
Nah, most all HOB's suck. Get a sump.

dirtyclownfish
06/26/2007, 05:16 AM
A sump is a worthwhile investment and I definately something that I would consider when I get a new skimmer. I you go with the sump. I would get either a Euroreef or if you are wanting to save money, get a Coralife Superskimmer. You might want to modify certain parts of it though and they are great sump skimmers.

luke33
06/26/2007, 05:47 AM
Steer very clear of the remora's, if you are set on a hot skimmer, a good one is the bermuda, and a budget one that works is the typhoon. If you want a good skimmer you can use a in tank tunze.

pjf
06/26/2007, 06:28 AM
Here is the HOB Bermuda Aquatics "Rogue Wave" skimmer that luke33 is referring to: http://www.bermudaaquatics.com/rogue.htm

As for the Remora, even its manufacturer advertises that it only collects half a cup of skim in two weeks. Scroll to the bottom of this webpage: http://www.proteinskimmer.com/products/Remora.htm

WVfishguy
06/27/2007, 12:06 PM
I've had great luck with Turbofloter 1000 Multis, from Aquamedic. These are the ONLY HOB skimmers I'll even consider - and I've used 3 other brands and have seen a lot more than that in operation.

Musho3210
06/27/2007, 01:05 PM
I dont see why so many people hate remora's, its like you either love them or hate them. Ive seen great skimmate pics that are very very dark and even a tiny bit dry.

pjf
06/27/2007, 01:47 PM
There are 3 problems with HOB skimmers:
(1) They are marketed with undersized pumps. When a seller of HOB skimmers offers pump choices, woe to those that do not choose the strongest pump.
(2) Evaporation will weaken the skimmer. When the water level drops, the pump has to work harder and has less pressure to generate foam.
(3) HOB skimmers are usually "starter" skimmers. Since most aquarists that stick with the hobby eventually acquire sumps, HOB skimmers occupy the lower end of the market.

There are cultural differences between Remora haters and lovers.

-Remora haters tend to be aquarists that started out with an HOB and later acquired sumps and undercabinet skimmers. They don't mind throwing away old equipment and buying new equipment that work "out of the box."

-Remora lovers do not mind modifying their HOB skimmers to keep it going as they upgrade their systems. You can find Remoras with Mag 7 pumps to satisfy this market (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQUAC-REMORAP-M7XT&Category_Code=AquaC).

Musho3210
06/27/2007, 01:49 PM
makes sense, so would you say remora haters are lazy and/or can afford to get a sump etc?

pjf
06/27/2007, 01:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10226820#post10226820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Musho3210
makes sense, so would you say remora haters are lazy and/or can afford to get a sump etc?

Remora haters are the type of people that will junk their car after 10,000 miles to buy a new one. Consider Paris Hilton.

Remora lovers are the type of people that will work on their car every weekend until it drops dead with 300,000 miles on it. Which is you? :)

kodyboy
06/27/2007, 02:04 PM
Oh please, remoras are simply bad skimmers, work on them every weekend, I would rather have a car that simply worked well for 300000 miles. For the cost of a remora you could get a decent hob, such as a turboflotor or a bermuda rogue wave. If you want a cheaper HOB get a D&D marine typhoon or an odyssea ps75. Any of these will out perform a remora.

Andrew
06/27/2007, 02:07 PM
If you have enough room in your main tank, you may want to look at the Tunze skimmers which are very compact and have been getting very good reviews. The price isn't bad either for what you get. :)

hahnmeister
06/27/2007, 03:08 PM
Okay, I can make a better skimmer than a remora with $10 in scrap acrylic and a maxi-jet pump. My problem with the remora is the method... its the injection method. This method relies on the pump's pressure generation. Now, with larger AquaC skimmers, you get larger pumps which are more capable in this area. Small pumps, like MJ1200s and Mag3s, etc... just dont have great pressure performance. Its an uphill battle with this method. I doubt that a Remora gets more than 100lph with this method... its just weak.

Now, consider that a regular MJ1200, when used as a needlewheel, can pull down 150-200lph of air... what do you think makes sense?

IMO, for a small skimmer, you NEED a needlewheel.

But 100ish lph of air... thats just not worth much IMO. Compare rating capacities of skimmers with their air throughput... you get a ratio that is in the 3-4 lpm of air per gallon range. With this ratio, the remora with its 100lph of air is at best good for a 25-33g tank.

stanlalee
06/27/2007, 03:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10226801#post10226801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pjf

(2) Evaporation will weaken the skimmer. When the water level drops, the pump has to work harder and has less pressure to generate foam.

as the water level drops and the skimmer pump gets closer to the water line it works BETTER. the farther submerged the pump is the harder it is for the pump to pull down air into the skimmer deeming them less efficient. this is why almost every sump skimmer has a maximum level it should be placed in and wont draw much air if submerged too much. the closer to the surface the better. anytime a pump is drawing more air it is drawing less water. simply raise the water level in the skimmer to where it was before the water level dropped and the skimmer will be more efficient. not exclusive to HOT operation since sump levels (being a fraction the size of the tanks they are attached to) usually drop much faster then the waterline on tanks without sumps.

for the same reason coralifes dont overflow due to evaporation like people acuse it of. evaporation makes it pull more air LOWERING the water level within the skimmer. also puts less backpressure (though there shouldn't be any to begin with if working/set up properly) on the output tube in the bubble diffuser further reducing the chance of overflowing.

WVfishguy
06/27/2007, 04:00 PM
"There are 3 problems with HOB skimmers:"

A fourth problem is when they overflow onto a customer's hardwood floor, ruining it, and the customer gets mad at the fishguy who was stupid enough to put a HOB on the tank to begin with.

tacocat
06/27/2007, 04:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10215167#post10215167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyface888
Any suggestions on good hang on skimmers, Im currently using CPR bak pak and it seems the skimate isnt thick so any suggestions? Thanks

Lifereef makes a pretty good skimmer which can be run in-sump or HOB with an adaptor.
http://www.lifereef.com/venturi.html

IME, HOB skimmers are a crappy solution for an even worse situation.

KEstep
06/27/2007, 05:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10227687#post10227687 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WVfishguy
"There are 3 problems with HOB skimmers:"

A fourth problem is when they overflow onto a customer's hardwood floor, ruining it, and the customer gets mad at the fishguy who was stupid enough to put a HOB on the tank to begin with.

AMEN!!!!! I HATE REMORAS. Not because I am the lazy throw away person (that was a lame reason too). I hate them because THEY DO NOT PERFORM for crap. One of our LFS sells them on EVERY aquarium. They tell them they are the best on the market. I always get called in because their tanks look like crap and nothing is living. Then they feel like I am trying to get more money out of them because I make them change their skimmers. I even offer to sell them a replacement skimmer at cost to help them save money and help make their tank look better. I have a 92 gallon tank that a local store put a regular remora on not even the pro version, the tank even has a sump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (this is how aweful our stores can be). It doesnt even pull out half a cup in two weeks. They are worthless. maybe if you had a nano tank but nothing more. I heard someone mention the Tunze skimmer. I think that would be the way to go if you do not want a sump. Remoras simply are not worth the money. I have worked on hundreds of aquariums and I will never ever endorse a remora unless you are putting a pro version on a tiny tank. Sorry for venting but I am sick of these skimmers.

hahnmeister
06/27/2007, 10:09 PM
I think what I would do for a HOB skimmer, if I had to, is to put a recirc/external skimmer behind, next to, etc on a shelf so its water level will be just above that of the tanks. This way, you can have a feed pump from in the tank (perhaps in a surface skimming box) feed the skimmer, and have it dump back into the tank.

pjf
06/27/2007, 10:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10227521#post10227521 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stanlalee
as the water level drops and the skimmer pump gets closer to the water line it works BETTER. the farther submerged the pump is the harder it is for the pump to pull down air into the skimmer deeming them less efficient. this is why almost every sump skimmer has a maximum level it should be placed in and wont draw much air if submerged too much. the closer to the surface the better. anytime a pump is drawing more air it is drawing less water. simply raise the water level in the skimmer to where it was before the water level dropped and the skimmer will be more efficient. not exclusive to HOT operation since sump levels (being a fraction the size of the tanks they are attached to) usually drop much faster then the waterline on tanks without sumps.

for the same reason coralifes dont overflow due to evaporation like people acuse it of. evaporation makes it pull more air LOWERING the water level within the skimmer. also puts less backpressure (though there shouldn't be any to begin with if working/set up properly) on the output tube in the bubble diffuser further reducing the chance of overflowing.
Your assumptions are incorrect:

(1) The Remora pump does not pull in air. There is no air hose leading to the pump. It is not a Venturi pump. Drawing air is not the issue. The issue is the vertical distance that water must be pumped above the tank water level.

(2) A submerged pump does not have to perform any work to get the water level in the output hose to match the tank water level. The pump's work starts when the water level in the hose has to rise above the tank's water level. The lower the tank water level, the harder the pump has to work.

hahnmeister
06/27/2007, 11:14 PM
Yeah, stanalee, what you are talking about doesnt apply here because the remora isnt a needlewheel/asperating skimmer setup. Its a variation on a venturi. So all that matters is the pressure and flow of the pump. Being that remoras get MJ1200 size pumps which cant generate alot of pressure, the output sucks. That same MJ1200 can get 2x the air intake, even at 22" of depth, when set up as a needlewheel.

stanlalee
06/28/2007, 07:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10230534#post10230534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pjf
Your assumptions are incorrect:

(1) The Remora pump does not pull in air. There is no air hose leading to the pump. It is not a Venturi pump. Drawing air is not the issue. The issue is the vertical distance that water must be pumped above the tank water level.

(2) A submerged pump does not have to perform any work to get the water level in the output hose to match the tank water level. The pump's work starts when the water level in the hose has to rise above the tank's water level. The lower the tank water level, the harder the pump has to work.

You are correct about the remora in point one however your statement was in the context of "There are 3 problems with HOB skimmers" not the remora specifically

you are correct in point two as well but I was not referring to water I am referring to drawing air from above the waterline and pulling it down thru the pump. the farther down the pump is the harder it is to do. you can drop a venturi skimmer under two feet of water and it will pump water just fine but it will draw virtually no air.

randymon
06/28/2007, 07:45 AM
My Remora Pro pulls out aprox 1 cup daily of some pretty dark stuff.

grigsy
06/28/2007, 03:43 PM
I have used Remora before and thought it did a fairly good job.

RedSoxReefer
06/28/2007, 04:29 PM
I use a remora pro on a 46 gal and pull about a cup a week of black stuff, plus I got it for 70 bucks, cant beat that...

FOREIGNER
06/28/2007, 05:12 PM
Whatever you do do not get a Deltec mce600, expensive garbage, I would advise the Tunze 9010 in tank and later on can add to a sump...comes complete with the kit

Percula9
07/26/2007, 10:10 AM
I recently modifyd my Bak-Pak by replacing the pump with a Maxi 1200. The only problem was the original venturi for it is not good. I found a tube to fit into the in take, then drilled a hole in the tube. Took the tube off of a needle valve put airline tubing on one end and put into the hole. Then connect airline to the other side and out to the air. Pulls alot more air in, increased the kunk output significantly. Try this first before purchasing a new skimmer.

porthios
07/26/2007, 01:08 PM
any of you having success with the remoras care to share how you've set it up? using mj1200 or other? surface box? etc..

cwilson
07/26/2007, 02:11 PM
dont worry happy face, ill still answer your question! :D

i had a remora, and i can see both sides. they claim it can handle up to a 75, which i would NEVER do. i would MAYBE put a remora on a 55 and even thats pushing it.

you never mentioned what size tank you have, but the bak-pak claims to handle 60 gallons. so im going to assume you have a 55. even if this is wrong, which im sure it is, its better to assume a bigger tank, because you really should use an oversized skimmer.

so based on the two things i just said, depending on your bioload, as well as what your keeping, i would either "yeah" or "nah" a remora. it really depends. also, are you using any additional filtration of any kind? all of this will help you/us decide the best skimmer

also, you dont necessarily need a sump to have a skimmer that is not hang on. i know the Aqua-C EV series can be inline. this would require you to use an overflow box, which would plumb to the skimmer, which would plumb bakc into your tank. but, depending on where our tank is, this may or may not be possible. and, this can be quite expensive

but if money is not an issue, there is a remora pro that is a larger remora, the regular remora, and also deltec makes a few hang on skimmers, but i believe those are around $400.

my remora (not pro) was $150 new and came with a maxi-jet 1200. i liked it. i got a bigger setup, which included a sump, so i no longer use it

if you have any other questions, let us all know

good luck and let us know what you choose to purchase! :)

(nothing ****es me off more than when some petty debate breaks out in a thread, like the one thats going on here. guys, this person asked us about what skimmer is good for their tank, they are replacing a hang on. they never asked what makes remora's terrible or why all hang on skimmers suck. and now, twenty-something replys later, they havent even responded to their own post because of all this crap floating around and back and forth. honestly... )

bluenose990
07/26/2007, 03:54 PM
Can some on link me up a needlewheel mod for the MJ1200?

bluenose990
07/26/2007, 03:55 PM
someone*

ranran
07/26/2007, 03:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10226084#post10226084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WVfishguy
I've had great luck with Turbofloter 1000 Multis, from Aquamedic. These are the ONLY HOB skimmers I'll even consider - and I've used 3 other brands and have seen a lot more than that in operation.

This is a very good skimmer that dose not get enough credit for how good it is.

hahnmeister
07/27/2007, 01:14 AM
Ahhh... I hate those things and Im glad Aqua Medic is getting rid of them. They have a new one, I forgot to mention, but its perhaps the only HOB I would consider. Its the new T3000 'blue', and it uses a Oceanrunner 3700 for about 28scfh of air... thats alot for a HOB skimmer... more than the deltec MCEs even.

leagues58
07/27/2007, 02:45 PM
I had an AquaC remora on a 30 gallon and it worked alright for a few months and then seemed to just get worse and worse. I am now upgrading to a 75 gallon tank and got a AquaC Urchin Pro and it has worked great so far. But yeah- be sure to get the largest pump available

deejayfish
08/03/2007, 01:54 PM
I have a 45g and was wondering what is a good skimmer? I current run a CPR bak pak and it sucks. And I dont have a sump and please dont bash me with the HOB are crap and etc. I already did a search and everyone says they are crap, the tank I have is a FOWL. I dont want a Deltec, tunze or any of thoes expensive ones. I know someones going to say save your money for a better one. So skip thoes lines please. I am looking for a good HOB under 100 dollars. I am interested in the typhoon.

kodyboy
08/03/2007, 01:59 PM
the typhoon will serve you fine. Be sure to order the anti-siphon kit from D&D marine and install it (they will send it for free), other than that it is fairly easy to install. You have to build it (to an extent), but it is not hard. You can easily improve it by hooking the air line up to a whisper 60. For the price it can not be beat.

Shaun120
08/03/2007, 02:50 PM
Wow, who thought the topic of hang on the back skimmers would cause such a ruckus!

I had the larger Remora Pro on a 58 gallon. It did a fine job for the tank size and bio load I had in it. Is it the best skimmer that uses the best method...no, but for a hang on, it was pretty good.

The key point for me was that I bought a size larger than what my tank size was and I bought a more powerful pump for it. I think it would have worked even better if I had purchased the box that would skim the top water, though it was a little large.

So from someone who has OWNED and USED a Remora, for Hang On Skimmers (as per the post topic) the Remora Pro worked well for me on the 58gal it was on. It works a lot better than the Bak-Pak version of my buddy's tank that my old Remora Pro now resides.

Good luck in picking one out. Skimmers are like used cars you get what you pay for and do your research. Deltec even makes a hang on and I bet a lot of the people harping on how bad hang on skimmers are, wouldn't dare speak bad words about Deltec's version of a hang on.

RichConley
08/03/2007, 02:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10226533#post10226533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Musho3210
I dont see why so many people hate remora's, its like you either love them or hate them. Ive seen great skimmate pics that are very very dark and even a tiny bit dry.

A lot of people love remoras because they've never used anything better, and dont know what a skimmer SHOULD do.

The rest of us hate them because they can't even keep up with a $39 in sump skimmer, and they cost $200+

FWIW, the Turboflotors have their issues, but they kick the crap out of pretty much everything else available as a HOB. (Including the deltec, IMO.) You wont see any upgrade, IMO, moving from a bakpak to a remora. You may even see a downgrade. I've owned both. I still run a bakpak on one tank. I wouldnt let a remora in my house.

dhnguyen
08/03/2007, 03:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10226801#post10226801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pjf
(1) They are marketed with undersized pumps. When a seller of HOB skimmers offers pump choices, woe to those that do not choose the strongest pump.
(3) HOB skimmers are usually "starter" skimmers. Since most aquarists that stick with the hobby eventually acquire sumps, HOB skimmers occupy the lower end of the market.

There are cultural differences between Remora haters and lovers.

-Remora haters tend to be aquarists that started out with an HOB and later acquired sumps and undercabinet skimmers. They don't mind throwing away old equipment and buying new equipment that work "out of the box."

-Remora lovers do not mind modifying their HOB skimmers to keep it going as they upgrade their systems. You can find Remoras with Mag 7 pumps to satisfy this market (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQUAC-REMORAP-M7XT&Category_Code=AquaC).

I will have to disagree with this. The "cultural differences" seems more like the people who don't like Remoras are people who KNOW what a real skimmer is suppose to be able to do. While the ones that tout the Remora as the best HOB skimmer out there have never actually used a real skimmer before to know any better.

Besides you can't mod the Remora. Unless you call swapping out the pump for a larger Mag 7 "modding"

dhnguyen
08/03/2007, 03:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10475285#post10475285 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by deejayfish
I have a 45g and was wondering what is a good skimmer? I current run a CPR bak pak and it sucks. And I dont have a sump and please dont bash me with the HOB are crap and etc. I already did a search and everyone says they are crap, the tank I have is a FOWL. I dont want a Deltec, tunze or any of thoes expensive ones. I know someones going to say save your money for a better one. So skip thoes lines please. I am looking for a good HOB under 100 dollars. I am interested in the typhoon.

a simple mesh mod will make that CPR working like a champ.

RichConley
08/03/2007, 03:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10235098#post10235098 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RedSoxReefer
I use a remora pro on a 46 gal and pull about a cup a week of black stuff, plus I got it for 70 bucks, cant beat that...

With the size of the remora's cup, on a 46 gallon, it should be pulling out a cup of black stuff every other day.

People just dont realize how GOOD a good skimmer is.

deejayfish
08/03/2007, 03:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10475774#post10475774 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhnguyen
a simple mesh mod will make that CPR working like a champ.

dhnguyen Could you post the link to the mod? Thanks

skimmy
08/03/2007, 10:48 PM
here you go, here's mine...
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28372

happyface888
08/03/2007, 11:17 PM
kora thats pretty cool where did you get that grill thing for your prepellar? and the mesh??? My cpr has a rio 800 I dont have a mj for it

skimmy
08/04/2007, 07:44 AM
just buy a maxijet 1200, less than $20, throw rio in garbage...

here'a a kit that has the mesh, zip ties/fishing line , and gutter guard all together
http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=159&idproduct=221

or if you want a bunch;

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/4323/cid/1278

luke33
08/04/2007, 08:50 AM
Yea, remora's are garbage. You couldn't pay me to use it. There generally an upgrade from a seaclown and people think they are good since they have never used anything that is even decent to mediocre. I'd say the only skimmers that are useful for hot or in tank are the bermuda hot or an in tank tunze.

dhnguyen
08/04/2007, 10:26 AM
At least with a seaclown you can mod it to work better. Can't really do much with a Remora.

FishAreFriends2
08/04/2007, 10:35 AM
Is the remora really that bad? When I posted at other forums they told me the remora is really good and I should get it. Why is the remora bad?

kodyboy
08/04/2007, 11:14 AM
the typhoon is better than the remora:)

Shaun120
08/04/2007, 11:40 AM
Some of these posts crack me up. I really don't want to be the "voice" of the Remora but it IS a skimmer. I have used, and seen results from several different skimmer brands. To say that one skimmer on someone else's tank should pull more or less skimate is absurd, you don't know the bio load or other relative factors of that tank.

I know it sounds "crazy" but sometimes it doesn't make a lot of sense to place a $700 skimmer on a 50 gallon tank. Will the "real skimmer" do a better job, probably but the cost benefit is out of whack.

For those of you touting the "people like Remora because they don't know what a real skimmer does", you make me laugh.

I've used cheap skimmers and expensive ones and really each scenario I used them in was a little bit different. On my 225 I have a LifeReef and I love it. Would I claim that my current skimmer is the best one out there...no, but it works great for me and better than others I have used in the past.

HOB sometimes are necessary because a sump doesn't exists, space constraints, and other issues. For a less expensive HOB skimmer the Remora works well for a setup where a sump is not possible. I have no input on the Typhoon or others mentioned since I have not used them personally. If you get a sump will you still be using the Remora, probably not, but you could use if for a time saving up for the Mother of all Skimmers!

hahnmeister
08/04/2007, 12:32 PM
I think it comes down to the physics. Remoras, and other AquaC skimmers, use a venturi method of inducting air into the water. Becketts, downdrafts, mazzei, nozzle... they all require a pump that can handle a good deal of back pressure. Well... when you get into the 300gph and under range for pumps... this doesnt really exist. The pumps are just glorified powerheads, and not so great at operating a venturi or in a pressure situation. Why do people have 'problems' with Remoras? Well, because the way they use the pumps results in only about 1/2 the air intake and bubble production into the skimmer as a needlewheel of the same pump would produce. A remora with a MJ1200 must be pulling less than 100lph of air.

Now, maybe some will disagree, but I have found that a good rule of thumb for sizing skimmers is for a 2' tall skimmer, you should have about 4lph of air for every gallon on a light to medium stocked tank, and 8 lph on a heavily stocked one. So for a 40g, a skimmer about 2' tall should be using about 160lph of air for up to a medium load. As it turns out, that is pretty much what a MJ1200 needlewheel powered skimmer can do. With a sub 100lph of air intake on the remora, I wouldnt run it on anything larger than a 30g.

stanlalee
08/04/2007, 02:03 PM
I thought the remora didn't use a venturi and specifically are not to be used with the MJ venturi like seaclones are. I thought they worked on a principle simular to a beckett except with a smaller inferior spray head/nozzle.

dhnguyen
08/04/2007, 10:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10480507#post10480507 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shaun120

.."people like Remora because they don't know what a real skimmer does"

I've used cheap skimmers and expensive ones and really each scenario I used them in was a little bit different. On my 225 I have a LifeReef and I love it. ...

enough said

I know it sounds "crazy" but sometimes it doesn't make a lot of sense to place a $700 skimmer on a 50 gallon tank. Will the "real skimmer" do a better job, probably but the cost benefit is out of whack.

I would love to hear how you would explain how a $30 cheapo Odyssea HOB skimmer performed 10 times better than a $200 Remora. I am not even comparing another $200 HOB skimmer to the Remora here. A "real" skimmer doesn't automatically mean it's expensive. Infact this is my whole point here, the Remora a mediocre skimmer (at best) with a premium pricetag.

luke33
08/04/2007, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10480507#post10480507 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shaun120
[B]Some of these posts crack me up. I really don't want to be the "voice" of the Remora but it IS a skimmer. I have used, and seen results from several different skimmer brands. To say that one skimmer on someone else's tank should pull more or less skimate is absurd, you don't know the bio load or other relative factors of that tank.

UMMMM, 1 cup every couple weeks is poor for a 30g!

For those of you touting the "people like Remora because they don't know what a real skimmer does", you make me laugh.

HOB sometimes are necessary because a sump doesn't exists,

No WAY!! lol!

For a less expensive HOB skimmer the Remora works well for a setup where a sump is not possible.

($290 W/mag 7) I thought we already went over this?

I have no input on the Typhoon or others mentioned since I have not used them personally. If you get a sump will you still be using the Remora, probably not, but you could use if for a time saving up for the Mother of all Skimmers!

Sure, if you want a crappy skimmer!

No offense bud, its just you don't have any sense imo about skimmers!

jlt23
08/04/2007, 11:39 PM
I only have experience with a Deltec MCE300 for a HOB skimmer. It's on a 20G and I'm very happy with it. Pulls out dark skimmate. A little finiky and pricey, but I think it's worth it. Good luck.

luke33
08/04/2007, 11:42 PM
A 400 dollar skimmer on a 20g tank! WOW. I have a 150 dollar skimmer on my 125g and it could take a 200g easy.

hahnmeister
08/04/2007, 11:46 PM
Aqua Medic T3000 blue. Now thats a real HOB skimmer. Or a ZC Aquarientechnik Cylon (http://www.zc-aquarientechnik.de/zc-englisch/meerw_-abschaumer.html). But when you think about it *(I think I mentioned it before)* there really isnt much to simply using an external/recirc skimmer on the back of a tank by just plumbing it over the side. The input and outlet/standpipe of a recirc are at the top of the skimmer, as only the pump and body is mounted below. I have seen AquaC EV series, even becketts and their like, mounted on the back of a tank. You just need the space behind the tank really.

Or, one skimmer I am shocked nobody has mentioned is the Bermuda rogue....
http://www.bermudaaquatics.com/rogue.htm

luke33
08/04/2007, 11:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10479734#post10479734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Yea, remora's are garbage. You couldn't pay me to use it. There generally an upgrade from a seaclown and people think they are good since they have never used anything that is even decent to mediocre. I'd say the only skimmers that are useful for hot or in tank are the bermuda hot or an in tank tunze.

haun, i always mention the bermuda............keep your eyes open, this one got past ya! It is late! lol

happyface888
08/04/2007, 11:53 PM
The ZC looks pretty cool but I have no clue what the cost is. For the Bermuda I am curious whats the use of bio-balls? I read its not really helpful for established tanks, something about nitrate problems

hahnmeister
08/05/2007, 01:24 AM
The ZC, so far, is in the EU only. Although, I bet it would be easy to order, and have shipped with a 110v/60hz aquabee instead. It would actually increase the output of the skimmer.

luke33, sorry, I might have read it before, but forgot since I saw it. Its just that usually, when its brought up, there is more discussion about it. It seems like every thread that starts with 'whats a good HOB skimmer' ends up with an argument about Remoras. Its ubiquitous, and so are Remoras...lol, and for similar reasons. Some other companies need to get their stuff together and take that silly little skimmer down a notch. I can think of a dozen better HOB designs than whats out there... but then its a DIY thing.

Shaun120
08/09/2007, 10:30 AM
I'm not going to personally attack anyone here, but some of your comments are quite infantile. To say I don't know anything about skimmers is pretty ignorant since you really don't know my experience or the scenario in which I obtain or use my equipment.

Did I say that the Remora Pro and Lifereef are the best...no. I just said that I have owned them and had experience with them and SOMEHOW had a successful reef using them.

So for all you fanboys, know-it-alls, better than you, and arses out there, grow up and act like adults...unless your below 18 and not legally one. I don’t know for sure, but maybe you got picked on as kids or maybe you hate yourselves for living in your mom’s basement. You’re entitled to your opinion but please lay off the attacks.

I beginning to think that if someone has a high post count they, somehow now believe they are all knowledgeable.

hahnmeister
08/09/2007, 10:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10515159#post10515159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shaun120
Did I say that the Remora Pro and Lifereef are the best...no. I just said that I have owned them and had experience with them and SOMEHOW had a successful reef using them.

So for all you fanboys, know-it-alls, better than you, and arses out there, grow up and act like adults...unless your below 18 and not legally one. I don’t know for sure, but maybe you got picked on as kids or maybe you hate yourselves for living in your mom’s basement. You’re entitled to your opinion but please lay off the attacks.

I beginning to think that if someone has a high post count they, somehow now believe they are all knowledgeable.

^^^ I couldnt agree more with what you are about to say...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10515159#post10515159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shaun120
I'm not going to personally attack anyone here, but some of your comments are quite infantile.

So who was making infantile comments anyways? Everyone here has just been talking about skimmers, the first personal attack anyone has made here, even though you try to disguise it, has been made by you. As I look back through the posts, I dont see anyone questioning your experience or anything, at least not in a 'personal attack' kind of way. We have different opinions on some things, thats all. Some here have standards for skimmers that the Remora simply doesnt meet. I would tend to agree with that for the reasons I gave. My cousin 'upgraded' his remora by simply removing the nozzle, and putting the air intake on the pump (and using a needlewheel pump). The result was more than the remora can handle in its little riser tube, but it makes you wonder.

Perhaps we can all back off on the Remora, as it seems that this is going to go down the 'DSB vs. BB' path (a fellow can get banned around here just for saying those words...lol). There are plenty of other skimmers in this category that we can discuss. I think that anyone reading this forum would agree that they get the point... its a love-hate thing.

How about that prizm pro!!!???

Davidb6
08/09/2007, 11:03 AM
The 1200 are ok but are not the best pumps for the Remora based on the mfg; the mag 3 is.
I have the Remora with a Mag 3 and I clean the cup daily. I'm always impressed with the junk this skimmer pulls out of my tank.

luke33
08/09/2007, 11:58 AM
Yea, i wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings, sorry if you thought i was attacking you. I just feel bad for people who pay 200-300 for a skimmer that is below par, there are many options and all should be thought out before making the decision. If you buy a remora, thats your business.

skimmy
08/09/2007, 01:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10515304#post10515304 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
My cousin 'upgraded' his remora by simply removing the nozzle, and putting the air intake on the pump (and using a needlewheel pump). The result was more than the remora can handle in its little riser tube, but it makes you wonder.

that is exactly what im trying to do, how did he get the injector out??
i was thinking i could drill or dremel it out through the cleaning hole, but if there's a better way...
and do you think a mesh moded maxijet 1200 would still overpower the remora? it seems a good match for the bakpak..

dhnguyen
08/09/2007, 01:56 PM
you might have better luck using a smaller MJ pump (mj900 or mj600 even) especially if you're planning to mesh mod it. The MJ1200 mesh modded will be a bit much for the Remora to handle. The reaction chamber is similarly sized as the CPR BakPak. I had to downgrade the pump once mesh modded in order to slow down the flow enough so that it wouldn't spew out bubbles into the tank.

RichConley
08/09/2007, 02:20 PM
Someone with a lifereef defending a remora...you can't get any better than that.

Talk about one outdated inferior technology propping up the other. You can't make this stuff up.

For a less expensive HOB skimmer the Remora works well for a setup where a sump is not possible.
Since when is $220+ "less expensive" for a skimmer that pulls about 1-3 scfh. A simple CPR backpak knockoff pulls much more air, runs on less electricicty and skims better.

The issue isnt that the remora is all that bad. Its that its priced MUCH higher than its performance. There are a TON of HOB skimmers that work better, and almost all of them are significantly cheaper.

luke33
08/09/2007, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10516778#post10516778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
[B]Someone with a lifereef defending a remora...you can't get any better than that.

Talk about one outdated inferior technology propping up the other. You can't make this stuff up.

LOL ROFLMAO

hahnmeister
08/09/2007, 07:00 PM
Okay, I take it back... you guys deserved every bit of what Shaun120 threw your way... lol. If not before, then now. Lol... I can see why its funny and all, but jeez...

dhnguyen, have you done much with the MJ pumps as skimmer pumps. From what I have done, the MJ600 seems to perform as well as the 1200 when as far as needlewheels go. The outputs are the same, the volute/impeller wells are the same... its just the intake and impeller that vary, but even at that, these are two variables that often matter little, if at all. The intake is restricted more than a MJ400 anyways with the venturi, and the smaller blade impellers do about the same (if not better because they blend air & water better than larger blades). And when you convert them to mesh... the impeller would be the same no matter which one you start with then... no?

Talk to me here, talk to me...

coraladdict
08/09/2007, 07:44 PM
I got the Deltec 600mce on my 88g net heavy loaded tank for the last year and all can say is that this thing is a mean machine for it's size. I got the air valve fully open and adjust the skimmate by adjusting the hight if the cup therfore getting wet or dry skimmate.Though the best thing is to have a sump , i did't have the room so I had no choice to go with a HO.
They are noisy at the beginning but becomes quite silent after a few months.
JMO

dhnguyen
08/09/2007, 09:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10518838#post10518838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
Okay, I take it back... you guys deserved every bit of what Shaun120 threw your way... lol. If not before, then now. Lol... I can see why its funny and all, but jeez...

dhnguyen, have you done much with the MJ pumps as skimmer pumps. From what I have done, the MJ600 seems to perform as well as the 1200 when as far as needlewheels go. The outputs are the same, the volute/impeller wells are the same... its just the intake and impeller that vary, but even at that, these are two variables that often matter little, if at all. The intake is restricted more than a MJ400 anyways with the venturi, and the smaller blade impellers do about the same (if not better because they blend air & water better than larger blades). And when you convert them to mesh... the impeller would be the same no matter which one you start with then... no?

Talk to me here, talk to me...

Yes I have Hahn... And like you said, my experience using the MJ600 for either needlewheel or meshwheel have been similar as well. I did switchout the stock MJ600 volute for the MJ1200 one though as the latter was a bit larger/deeper.

That's precisely why I told koraltek he would have better result meshmodding a MJ600 instead of the MJ1200.

jlt23
08/09/2007, 10:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10483752#post10483752 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
A 400 dollar skimmer on a 20g tank! WOW. I have a 150 dollar skimmer on my 125g and it could take a 200g easy.

It's actually a $300 skimmer.:D I needed a hob skimmer and this one had the best reviews that I could find. It's the only one that people showed that could pull out dark skimmate. I couldn't find any reviews or pictures that could compare to skimmate it could pull out. Plus I have a habbit of buying things on impulse.

boxerzz
08/10/2007, 06:24 AM
Whatever you do do not get a Deltec mce600, expensive garbage, I would advise the Tunze 9010 in tank and later on can add to a sump...comes complete with the kit

Can you explain this ? I am just about thinking of getting it for my 35 gal tank.

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 08:05 AM
mce 600 is an awsome HOB skimmer it works and for a HOB thats awsome... it does happen to cost lots of money.

Hahn do you know anybody that has an aquamedic blue? i saw these they do look like they might skim well.

luke33
08/10/2007, 08:12 AM
They aren't out yet, supposedly the end of the summer but the hot blue pulls 30scfh, which is great for a stock hot skimmer.

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 08:13 AM
30scfh huh that sounds great anybody know what the pricing will be?

skimmy
08/10/2007, 08:14 AM
mkay, i will be trying a mj 600 & 900 for the remora..

i did notice that mesh modding a 1200 for a bakpak increased the turbulence considerably, so i will be trying the 600/900 on it as well. i know that mesh mod usually moves more water too than stock impellars...

also, has anyone tried the new current hang on "paddle wheel" skimmers???

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=31080&cat=676&page=1

glassbox-design
08/10/2007, 08:34 AM
also, has anyone tried the new current hang on "paddle wheel" skimmers???

it's about time someone made a recirc hang on...i just wish it wasnt current :lol:

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 08:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10522315#post10522315 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flint&Eric
it's about time someone made a recirc hang on...i just wish it wasnt current :lol:

looks like a microbubble factory to me..

Hahn has a point why not just run an external skimmer on a shelf next to the tank... i think i could deal with a small pump in my tank to feed a skimmer if it worked.

luke33
08/10/2007, 08:43 AM
I've wondered the same thing about those current hot recirc's. Looks nice, but i ain't gonna buy one of those to test....not after the fission nano! lol

Not sure about how much the turbo's are gonna cost. Hopefully they keep them relatively moderate and under 250.

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 08:45 AM
only problem i see with a skimmer running external above the tank is microbubles getting into the display. what kind of external skimmer doesnt produce any microbubbles

coraladdict
08/10/2007, 09:47 AM
The Deltec 600mce doesn't, once it's broken in 2-3 months

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 09:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10522784#post10522784 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coraladdict
The Deltec 600mce doesn't, once it's broken in 2-3 months

the mce is HOB not external im talking about external skimmers

steevareno2002
08/10/2007, 10:09 AM
Aren't the needlewheel pumps bad for pod population? I have a Remora Pro with a Mag 3 and skimmer box on a 65gal medium bioload tank. I think it does a good job but yeah it was a good chunk of change! I paid around the same for an ASM G4 plus when i had my 180 running and that skimmer rocked! Are the Bermuda, Deltec, Turbofloter blue all needlewheels? I'm interested in having less electricity/better performance in a needlewheel but concerned about chopping up stuff that's good for the reef...

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 10:21 AM
lots of the most amazing reef tanks in the world use NW skimmers

for the most part pods populate the rocks not the watercolumn so they dont get skimmed that often.

steevareno2002
08/10/2007, 10:24 AM
True! Does anyone know what skimmer Iwan is using? I know he has a sumpless 211Gal reef that is amazing!

glassbox-design
08/10/2007, 10:48 AM
IIRC, iwan currently uses an ATI BM250....he upgraded...i believe his current one has a sump. he also uses zeo...

GSM- as long as the flow through is slow e.g. 50 gph, which would be plenty for say up to 60gallons, there shouldnt be a micro bubble problem.

a needle wheel doesnt "chop up pods" any worse than a normal impeller.

steevareno2002
08/10/2007, 11:02 AM
Is the ATI BM a HOB skimmer? I wonder what he started off using for an HOB? I just compared the Deltec MCE 600, the Bermuda Rogue Wave and the Typhoon. Deltec is impressive and pricey. Typhoon is inexpensive(only$80!) and the Bermuda look similiar in design to my Remora Pro. Is the Deltec worth the pricetag? Can you buy them online for less? What's the big difference between the Bermuda and my Remora? Might just try the Typhoon for the price. Drsfostersmith.com doesn't give the specs on the typhoon though.

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 11:05 AM
the deltec would outperform both the typhoon and the rogue wave

while pricey it is a very good skimmer also has a space for carbon media.

luke33
08/10/2007, 11:33 AM
GSM, i've seen both the old bermuda hot and the deltec hot side by side in a lfs, the bermuda destroyed it on a daily basis.

The remora vs bermuda is a night and day comparison. One is a special air injector(remora) and the bermuda is a non clogging venturi. Totally different types.

steevareno2002
08/10/2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks guys, anyone else?

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 12:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10523526#post10523526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
GSM, i've seen both the old bermuda hot and the deltec hot side by side in a lfs, the bermuda destroyed it on a daily basis.

The remora vs bermuda is a night and day comparison. One is a special air injector(remora) and the bermuda is a non clogging venturi. Totally different types.

i have seen many pictures of nasty skimate in the mce 600 and i have never seen anyone who actually uses a bermuda let alone post pics of it, where are there pics of it in action?

also the bermuda what size pump does it use and is the pump hanging in the tank?

RichConley
08/10/2007, 12:05 PM
Any plankton/pods that get into a skimmer are going to be skimmed out, whether its a needlewheel, downdraft, beckett, etc, or any of these so called "plankton safe" skimmers.

luke33
08/10/2007, 12:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10523827#post10523827 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
i have seen many pictures of nasty skimate in the mce 600 and i have never seen anyone who actually uses a bermuda let alone post pics of it, where are there pics of it in action?

also the bermuda what size pump does it use and is the pump hanging in the tank?

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 12:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10523912#post10523912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33

??

luke33
08/10/2007, 12:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10523827#post10523827 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy

Here's the pic of the new model, yes the pump hangs in the tank similar to the remora. It uses a mag 3 or similar pump. I have seen the old bermuda and mce 300 & 600 in action as there's a local deltec distributor here and they have all three hooked up. The bermuda continusly outperforms teh deltec's hands down. There s only one guy that i've talked to with a bermuda hot around here and he has a pic of it outskimming his ER rs80 3-1. Its a very impressive hot skimmer, and i think the new design will be much better than the old. I know two people who have or ordered them and one guy is going to be posting his review early next week with all the pics. It s running his tank as we speak. I'm ready to see what it can do.

luke33
08/10/2007, 12:22 PM
http://www.toofishy.com/product.php?productid=80331&cat=772&page=1

Sorry, there's the pic lol

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 12:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10523979#post10523979 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Here's the pic of the new model, yes the pump hangs in the tank similar to the remora. It uses a mag 3 or similar pump. I have seen the old bermuda and mce 300 & 600 in action as there's a local deltec distributor here and they have all three hooked up. The bermuda continusly outperforms teh deltec's hands down. There s only one guy that i've talked to with a bermuda hot around here and he has a pic of it outskimming his ER rs80 3-1. Its a very impressive hot skimmer, and i think the new design will be much better than the old. I know two people who have or ordered them and one guy is going to be posting his review early next week with all the pics. It s running his tank as we speak. I'm ready to see what it can do.

i still dont see a pic bro.

luke33
08/10/2007, 12:24 PM
(Someone rudely stopped by my cube...geez, like i'm suppose to be working or somehtin)

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 12:25 PM
no man i was wondering why if its such a great skimmer why are there no pics of it skimming.

luke33
08/10/2007, 12:27 PM
I don't have any. There's only one guy i've talked to on RC with pics and I can't remember his name. Hopefully he chimes in. Anyhow you'll have all the pics you can handle next week when Rutledge posts his review of the new bermuda rogue.

luke33
08/10/2007, 12:28 PM
Another note, with all the remora users out there you sure don't see many pics of there skimmate now do you.......I wonder why that is????? Probably cuz it takes a month to get enough skimmate to photograph.

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 12:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10524027#post10524027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Another note, with all the remora users out there you sure don't see many pics of there skimmate now do you.......I wonder why that is????? Probably cuz it takes a month to get enough skimmate to photograph.

i do not advocate anyone buying a remora,cpr or any other skimmer like them because a 20% water change weekly will perform much better.

luke33
08/10/2007, 12:38 PM
I would agree with that 100%

skimmy
08/10/2007, 12:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10524052#post10524052 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
i do not advocate anyone buying a remora,cpr or any other skimmer like them because a 20% water change weekly will perform much better.

UN modified yes, mesh moded, i'll have to disagree.
the other aspect of skimming on nano tanks is the oxygenation, even if a skimmer never collected skimmate (remora) at least it gets better gas exchange and more oxygen, wich i think makes a difference...not that im DEFENDING the remora in any way, shape, form or function whatsoever...

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 12:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10524185#post10524185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by koraltek
UN modified yes, mesh moded, i'll have to disagree.
the other aspect of skimming on nano tanks is the oxygenation, even if a skimmer never collected skimmate (remora) at least it gets better gas exchange and more oxygen, wich i think makes a difference...not that im DEFENDING the remora in any way, shape, form or function whatsoever...

yea but oyxgenation is not worth 200+

kodyboy
08/10/2007, 05:29 PM
from what I have seen and read the deltec mce600 is no where near as good as the bermuda rogue, and may not be better than the typhoon in pulling skimmate.

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10526261#post10526261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
from what I have seen and read the deltec mce600 is no where near as good as the bermuda rogue, and may not be better than the typhoon in pulling skimmate.

what have you heard read or seen????

HowardW
08/10/2007, 05:44 PM
I'm about to order the Rogue Wave for one of my 55g Florida rock tanks, although I hope it doesn't work too well as I like a slightly 'dirty' tank for all the myriad filter feeders in there.

It's shown pictured with black bio-balls but I assume these can just be removed.

kodyboy
08/10/2007, 05:54 PM
I have read numerous posts that the mce600 is finicky and does not pull skimmate on a regular basis. In addition I have also read many posts that comment on the small collection cup and again the lack of skimmate. My typhoon can pull 20 ounces or more of skimmate a day on a moderately loaded tank, which appears to be more than the mce600 can do. I have also read on other boards that the older bermuda (the one before the rogue wave) hob pulled tons of skimmate. I have not owned one so I am not trying to post personal experience on this unit, but for $500 it really needs to be better than a back-pack with an aquabee.

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 06:03 PM
lets see pics of the 20 ounces a day.

DeltecRules
08/10/2007, 06:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10526326#post10526326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
what have you heard read or seen????

GSMguy, I wouldn't waste your time with this guy. He likes to bash anything high end. Even though he has no actual experience with the product.

Kodyboy have you ever owned a mce600? Or have any actual experience with it? Reading a post isn't the same thing of actually ever having one is it? I have owned a mce600 for a year and hands down it was a top performer. Why would someone not want a hangon skimmer with a aquabee 2000 pump which pulls 10 watts of power and sucks in 400 LPH of air and is dead silent? Sure the collection cup is small but I like to clean my collection cup daily anyways so it never mattered.

As of you saying a typhoon is better than a mce600 is absolutely ridiculous. The mce600 would skim circles around it and yesI have seen a typhoon in action. Its a piece of junk. Works okay for the budget minded but not in the deltec class. The bermuda is a nice skimmer but its no needlewheel like a Mce600 and the mce600 doesn't need a big hungry pump to make those tiny bubbles that deltec is known for. Please back up what you are saying with some actual experience before bashing a product.

Here is a review from advance aquarist

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/8/review

Oh and here are some pics of my supposed old finicky overated deltec mce600.

In action (look at those tiny bubbles)
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/104218mini-104-0457_IMG.JPG

Wet Nog
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104218mini-105-0517_IMG.JPG

1 week of nasty dry nog (looks like gravy huh)
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/104218mini-104-0451_IMG.JPG

Nog looking above collection cup
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/104218mini-106-0619_IMG.JPG

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 06:48 PM
here is what i pulled with my deltec mce 300 within the first 4 days of owning the brand new skimmer

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/GSMguy/IMG_8029.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/GSMguy/IMG_8030.jpg

here is what it pulled the first 8 hours
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/GSMguy/IMG_8010.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/GSMguy/IMG_8015.jpg

this is on a 50g sumpless tank. the mce 300 pulls 160lph the 600 pulls 400 so you can imagine how good it is

plus that typhoon is ugly

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 06:50 PM
i dare someone with a meshmodded bakpak to step up with pics like that.

i will skimmate my pants if someone has results like deltec rules

kodyboy
08/10/2007, 08:52 PM
check out my gallery to see two days of skimming with my typhoon (I did not even mod it yet by adding the airpump), that is two days worth of skimmate.
I do not knock all high end stuff by any means. I regularly tell people to get BMs, Reeflos, Orcas etc., but I do not promote overpriced units that are not worth the money. The Deltec MCE600 is simply not worth $500. It might be one of the most expensive HOBs, but that does not make it the best.
I do not own nor ever had an mce600, I would not pay the money for that unit. I have had a smaller deltec, an AP600, a good skimmer but way too expensive for what it was.
I would put a bermuda rogue wave up against a Deltec mce600 any day, and the bermuda would win. What huge pump, a rio 1100 for 22 watts and ~ 400gph or a mag 3 at 35 watts? Both are enormous I know. In addition you can use whatever pump you want on the Bermuda, bigger/smaller for however you want to use it. Replacement costs are also much less than a Deltec, especially if you buy the ridiculously overpriced Deltec parts.

I have actually seen an MCE600 in action, I was not impressed for the price tag, now if it cost $200 then it might be worth it. In the end is much like a higher end remora, it works, but is way over priced. I am impressed by the typhoon, basically because it works so well for $80! Have you ever owned a typhoon.........if not then why are you commenting on what you do not own?

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 08:55 PM
kody boy that pic is so small i cant see anything

im not bashing the stinking typhoon i just am wary of it because nobody can back it up with pics

i am soo sure that if someone got results like we got from our HOBS they would take a pic and post it but nobody does.

kodyboy
08/10/2007, 09:02 PM
I am sorry my pics suck. I still can not figure out how to put a larger pic up. You can see that it is a 24 ounce pepsi bottle filled with skimmate though. That was a typical day and a half of skimmate from the typhoon on my medium stocked 55 gallon tank.
Luke33 put some larger pics up somewhere, but I do not remember where. I will ask him to re-post.
I am not saying the typhoon is the best skimmer in the world by any means, it can be finicky and you need to order the anti-siphon kit to avoid possible floods (it is free, but should be included). I regularly get around 15-20 ounces a day of skimmate from that thing.....impressive for a stupid little HOB skimmer.
There is a whole typhoon thread somewhere on here, I am sure there were pics there.

boxerzz
08/10/2007, 09:02 PM
I have two glass pieces 8 cm wide at the side of my tank 2.5cm from brim, will I have problems clamping the deltec 600 to the tank side ?

kodyboy
08/10/2007, 09:03 PM
oops 20 ounce not 24 ounce

GSMguy
08/10/2007, 09:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10527652#post10527652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boxerzz
I have two glass pieces 8 cm wide at the side of my tank 2.5cm from brim, will I have problems clamping the deltec 600 to the tank side ?

like eurobracing?

boxerzz
08/11/2007, 03:16 AM
yeah but only at sides

GSMguy
08/11/2007, 07:40 AM
8 cm you will be fine :)

boxerzz
08/11/2007, 08:38 AM
nhow about the 2.5 cm is it enough to hang the skimmer ?

GSMguy
08/11/2007, 08:47 AM
where is the 2.5cm? is that how thick it is?

boxerzz
08/11/2007, 08:51 AM
hmmm, I don't have a pic here, I will try to describe what I can. my tank is glass about 1 cm thick with an open top. The two glass plates are 8 cm in width 1 cm thick joined at the sides of my tank 2.5cm from the top.

GSMguy
08/11/2007, 08:54 AM
thats eurobracing but its inside the tank not on top?

boxerzz
08/11/2007, 08:55 AM
yeah in tank but not exactly at top

GSMguy
08/11/2007, 09:27 AM
word let me look i think i get it now its 8cm wide and 2.5cm from the rim.

sounds like a nice tank is it custom or are you in europe?

GSMguy
08/11/2007, 09:54 AM
i just measured my skimmer and it would either fit perfectly or it might bump the bracing.

boxerzz
08/11/2007, 07:51 PM
The tank was not custom I am in SG, and thanks a lot for your help ! Time to get one soon !

cerolost
08/15/2007, 10:59 AM
Just wanted to bump a great thread

D.Blaine
08/15/2007, 10:26 PM
Has anyone used the Precision Marine hang on back model?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~protein_skimmers_precision_marine_venturi_es_hot-1.html

I'm setting up a 46 FOWL and don't want to run a sump with this tank.

kodyboy
08/15/2007, 10:38 PM
I vaguely remember someone posting a thread that he liked his PM HOB, but it has been a while. Looks OK, but not really better than the typhoon for much less. For your 46 fowlr I would get a D&D marine typhoon.

cboberg
08/17/2007, 01:30 AM
Remora Pro HANDS DOWN... Done research...purchase the other brands already. LEARN from my mistakes

dhnguyen
08/17/2007, 06:22 AM
^ It never fails :lol:

Whenever a HOB skimmer is mentioned someone always chime in with a Remora.

skimmy
08/17/2007, 07:45 AM
yeah, you should see the chopping im doing on a remora pro someone sold me for cheap...worthless p.o.s.
chopped out the injector, and now im wondering if i want my mesh modded pump to imput above the water surface to see if it will suck up any more air, or if i have to lengthen the imput pipe so it injects under the water surface, i made one of both so i can try it out each way...

RichConley
08/17/2007, 09:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10563564#post10563564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
I vaguely remember someone posting a thread that he liked his PM HOB, but it has been a while. Looks OK, but not really better than the typhoon for much less. For your 46 fowlr I would get a D&D marine typhoon.

My girlfriend used to run a 72bow on a PM HOB1. Grew pretty much everything but acroporids in there, and had quite a few fish. I never used the thing, but she seemed impressed by it.

happyface888
08/17/2007, 09:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10572316#post10572316 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhnguyen
^ It never fails :lol:

Whenever a HOB skimmer is mentioned someone always chime in with a Remora.

lol, I am curious does the nano remora outpreform the remora pro ? lol

FishAreFriends2
08/18/2007, 09:50 AM
Has anyone tried a DIY hang on skimmer?? Does anyone know how good the visi-jet skimmer is? I saw it at DRSFS.

GSMguy
08/18/2007, 09:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10580447#post10580447 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishAreFriends2
Has anyone tried a DIY hang on skimmer?? Does anyone know how good the visi-jet skimmer is? I saw it at DRSFS.

visi jet=junk

FishAreFriends2
08/18/2007, 10:10 AM
Aww they made it sound so good. Has anyone tried to mod in sump skimmers to hang ons or something? IS the aqua-c urchin a hang on? If so how good is it?

GSMguy
08/18/2007, 10:14 AM
aquac urchin is the in sump version of the remora and its not worth the money or time.

superdart
08/18/2007, 03:40 PM
Deltec MCE 600........................quality..

happyface888
08/18/2007, 10:31 PM
Has anyone heard any reviews yet on the bermuda rogue?

GSMguy
08/18/2007, 10:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10584443#post10584443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyface888
Has anyone heard any reviews yet on the bermuda rogue?

nope nobody would want that thing hanging off the side of their tank it looks like a toy space station. lol

lets see if that comment can scare up an owner ;)

luke33
08/18/2007, 11:54 PM
Got my first feedback of it tonight. After a week of use, it was pulling a gallon of light tea a day. The fine tuning needs to be tweeked but i'm guessing a cup of darness a day is not out of the question.

GSMguy....if yo want to see the "coke color skimmate" check out my via aqua thread. I tweaked it just for you man.

happyface888
08/19/2007, 01:31 AM
How about some pics lol

dohc97
08/19/2007, 07:12 PM
I will post my limited experience, i used a nano remora with an mj900 and it would pull out about half a cup of nasty dark stuff every other day. Since i read so much about this skimmer being bad and others being way better i decided to try a typhoon. I specifically read all the threads by kodyboy and assumed that at the least i would get the same skimmate from this unit. I was very wrong as i never got much out of the typhoon no matter what i did. I ended up giving it away(didnt have the courage to sell the pos) and now wish i had kept the nano remora, sure it was a bit noisy but at least it skimmed. I know the remoras are not the best out there but im also done trying these "budget" skimmers.

kodyboy
08/19/2007, 08:08 PM
sorry you had such a bad experience with the typhoon, mine has been good. I have had bad experiences with remoras, never could get those things to skim squat. Maybe one reason you did not get much is that the typhoon does not have a surface skimmer box and the remora does, so it concentrates more of the dissolved organics and the skimmer can pull them out easier. Maybe a small plastic box with slits in it around the pump (a skimmer overflow type unit) would have given you a better result. I have had good luck with the typhoon and so have many others. The typhoon does take tweaking to get it to work its best, and maybe that is why it cost so much less. A gate valve on it would make it a lot easier to set properly, and is not really a hard mod to do. Another easy mod it to add a small air pump (whisper 60 or so) to the air inlet, it forces a lot more air into the skimmer. Someone on here mentioned changing it around to a needlewheel design, that may end up being the best mod yet.

dohc97
08/19/2007, 08:17 PM
actually my nano remora had no skimmer box, i just had the mj900 in the tank. I tried everything you have mentioned in your threads about the typhoon and i never got it to work, it just frustrated me to the point of just shutting it down. Not knocking any skimmer just stating my hands on experience which is what people on this thread should stick to, there are quite a few who just repeat what they read and have not tried the products. I dont think its cool to criticize something that i havent used.

kodyboy
08/19/2007, 08:25 PM
dohn, I am sure why it did not work, odd. Maybe you just got a bad one. I hope your next skimmer works better. Get a sump and an octopus nw110 or 150, cheap and hard not to work, or if you still have a 20 get a tunze nano 9002, that should work well (of course if you still have a 20 water changes may make more sense:))

dohc97
08/19/2007, 08:31 PM
yeah i know maybe it was bad luck. I broke down the 20long but im about to setup a 20 finnex m tank, ill see how it goes.

happyface888
08/21/2007, 09:43 PM
Well browsing around, since the regular cpr isnt all that great was wondering if the dual was any good?
http://ai.pricegrabber.com/pi/3/26/89/32689124_640.jpg
Also found this interesting skimmer
Clean-Up 125 Protein Skimmer
by Won Brothers
http://www.championlighting.com/pics/proskimmerpics/cleanup_skimmer.jpg

luke33
08/21/2007, 09:50 PM
No they both suck

kodyboy
08/22/2007, 08:53 AM
yep both suck. I have had a backpack and a won, ugh.

FishAreFriends2
08/22/2007, 09:58 AM
The dual bak pak still sucks? It cost soooo much and so does that won.

dhnguyen
08/22/2007, 11:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10526663#post10526663 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DeltecRules
GSMguy, I wouldn't waste your time with this guy. He likes to bash anything high end. Even though he has no actual experience with the product.

Kodyboy have you ever owned a mce600? Or have any actual experience with it? Reading a post isn't the same thing of actually ever having one is it? I have owned a mce600 for a year and hands down it was a top performer. Why would someone not want a hangon skimmer with a aquabee 2000 pump which pulls 10 watts of power and sucks in 400 LPH of air and is dead silent? Sure the collection cup is small but I like to clean my collection cup daily anyways so it never mattered.

As of you saying a typhoon is better than a mce600 is absolutely ridiculous. The mce600 would skim circles around it and yesI have seen a typhoon in action. Its a piece of junk. Works okay for the budget minded but not in the deltec class. The bermuda is a nice skimmer but its no needlewheel like a Mce600 and the mce600 doesn't need a big hungry pump to make those tiny bubbles that deltec is known for. Please back up what you are saying with some actual experience before bashing a product.

Here is a review from advance aquarist

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/8/review

Oh and here are some pics of my supposed old finicky overated deltec mce600.

In action (look at those tiny bubbles)
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/104218mini-104-0457_IMG.JPG

Wet Nog
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104218mini-105-0517_IMG.JPG

1 week of nasty dry nog (looks like gravy huh)
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/104218mini-104-0451_IMG.JPG

Nog looking above collection cup
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/104218mini-106-0619_IMG.JPG

:lol: says the guy who used to go by the name RemoraRules :lol: This is just precious

kodyboy
08/22/2007, 11:35 AM
remorarules.....................funny:)

luke33
08/22/2007, 11:38 AM
If thats true.......WOW

kodyboy
08/22/2007, 12:10 PM
looks about the same as I got out of unmodded typhoon (the deltec pics)..................

kodyboy
08/22/2007, 12:11 PM
I am sure if I put a seaclown on a cesspool I could pic up loads of nasty skimmate..........need some more information to really make anything of it.

GSMguy
08/22/2007, 12:13 PM
kody i dont beleive you... your typhoon is pulling the same as a needlewheel aquabee deltec?

glassbox-design
08/22/2007, 01:14 PM
there's a group on this forum that goes around spitting the same venom....the theme seems to be typhoons and bermudas are the best HOB, and in sump if you dont get a DAS or octo you're an idiot. quite honestly i could careless and usually laugh, except for when other reefers go out and buy based on these recs that are so repetative.

i agree with das, which is odd because they have been around for years..... but the rest you've got to be kidding me. has there yet to be a picture or true testimonial on the bermuda? :lol:

having used and owned many many skimmers including experimenting with these, i can assure the typhoon is a poor skimmer, as is the octo. in defense of the octo's they do have potential to be good performers...but they need their fair share of work. dont get me wrong, they can get the job done, just others ime do it better....

let's keep the, that skimmer is garbage comments to those that have actually earned the right to say so through hands on experience...none of the, i-know-a-guy-who-saw-one-at-the-lfs- whos-friend's-dog-said-it's-great-reviews.

let's also not bash skimmers that are built well, and perhaps cost more because they come with actual customer service. there is nothing wrong with low priced products, there is also nothing wrong with high priced products...lets keep that in mind...

for me a cpr bacpac with luft pump has been the best HOB skimmer i have used. and for the price of an aquatraders knock off, i'd be hardpressed to believe the typhoon is a better buy.

i have not yet used the mce600, but based on stats alone there is very few that can compete with it....perhaps besides schuran's hangon multi filters as it it's a jetskim in a HOB sump form.

overall, no skimmer is the best and everyone has their right to their opinoin....so if advocating skimmers, lets be up front about them.

e.g. octo's are great but they need some modifications such as x,y, and z. deltec's work well, but they are expensive and have a tiny collection cup...

just my 2 cents

happy reefing.

eric:eek2:

happyface888
08/26/2007, 12:31 AM
I wonder how many HOB skimmers are in this thread? And if they were put into a grading scale how would you grade them based on how efficient and price wise?

odyssea 75/160
cpr bak pak's R2/dual/bootlegged version odyssea
remora mini/Pro
Prizim pro/Delux
deltec
Seaclone
Coralife venturi/needlewheel super skimmer
typhoon
Bermuda Rogue
PM skimmer
Octopus
won brothers skimmer
Turbofloter

kodyboy
08/26/2007, 08:58 AM
check out my gallery if you think the typhoon can't skim

kodyboy
08/26/2007, 09:10 AM
flint
I never said a Deltec HOB is garbage, just over-priced. For $500 the 600 is way too costly.
Overall everything I have ever seen on Bermuda skimmers is positive. I don't think I have ever read a negative review on them.
If you say the typhoon is a poor skimmer and the CPR backpack is a good one I guess that says it all about your skimming knowledge.

chromafi
08/26/2007, 09:12 AM
Remoras are super noisy (Get a deltec HOB or a sump)

happyface888
08/26/2007, 10:01 PM
Deltecs are out of my range

vtrieu88
08/28/2007, 05:26 PM
Does the odyssea 75/160 need any mod to perform well? Couldn't pass on a $60 skimmer!

vtrieu88
08/28/2007, 05:30 PM
Looking for a good skimmer (HO or in sump) to go with my 72g bow tank (will be medium load at best) within $150. Is it possible?

GSMguy
08/28/2007, 05:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10655032#post10655032 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vtrieu88
Looking for a good skimmer (HO or in sump) to go with my 72g bow tank (will be medium load at best) within $150. Is it possible?

you should try and find a used in sump skimmer

the one thing we all agree on on this thread is that in sump skimmers are usually better.

glassbox-design
08/28/2007, 06:36 PM
flint
I never said a Deltec HOB is garbage, just over-priced. For $500 the 600 is way too costly.
Overall everything I have ever seen on Bermuda skimmers is positive. I don't think I have ever read a negative review on them.
If you say the typhoon is a poor skimmer and the CPR backpack is a good one I guess that says it all about your skimming knowledge.

here is what you said re: the deltec.....

My typhoon can pull 20 ounces or more of skimmate a day on a moderately loaded tank, which appears to be more than the mce600 can do.

from what I have seen and read the deltec mce600 is no where near as good as the bermuda rogue, and may not be better than the typhoon in pulling skimmate

you also called it a bacpac with an aquabee...which they do have their similarities except for one large large difference, the pumps output is direct into the chamber...and you should know, that the pump is what makes a NW skimmer.

having used ETSS, DAS, CPR, RK2, Schuran, Sanders, ER, ASM, MRC, Aerofoamer, Aqua-C, Turbo floater, Berlin etc...i'd say my skimming knowledge is quite solid. again this is from actual hands on experience.

not to start flame war, but please post pics of your tank and the 20 ounces of skimmate a day. also please hook an air-meter to the typhoon, it pulls close to nothing, so little that you are seeing increase performance from injecting air in the venturi via an air pump... try that on a real pump/venturi combo....

i am still waiting for a bermuda rogue shot as well...so far the only one i've seen looked on par with an aspirated minijet. are we to believe this black box skimmer can really perform? if so, prove it because i have yet to see it. would you be able to snap a pic of the one at your LFS?

re: cpr, when tuned they do there job. it keeps my 20g overstocked sps nano looking great. it has the stocking level of most 55g reefs.

eric

kodyboy
08/28/2007, 08:06 PM
I have posted shots of the typhoon, as have others check out the typhoon thread. I think someone just meshmodded one as well. I am comparing the skimmate produced from the typhoon to the skimmate pics that I have seen (on this thread and others) for the deltec. It looks very simliar. Of course this is just be looks, as whatever is in the skimmate could be very different.
I have used a few back packs and they produced nothing in comparison to the typhoon. I have yet to see one actually do much of anything. I do not know what "tuning" you are doing so maybe you can enlighten me here.
again, you must not have read my post (even though you re-posted it) I said the deltec is not garbage, just over-priced for what it is.
You say your skimming knowledge is quite solid, but when you are saying a cpr backpack is better than a typhoon it is very suspect.
there is a bermuda rogue skimmer thread that has just started, maybe we will get some pics there.

Runfrumu
08/28/2007, 08:27 PM
I post on a gun forum and some guy once said, "all guns suck, this one jam's, this one is plastic, this one isnt accurate and so on and so forth."

I guess the same is true with aquarium products. You ask 100 people about something, and you'll get 100 answer's. Some will say this is great, and some will say it's the worst.

GSMguy
08/28/2007, 08:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10656472#post10656472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Runfrumu
I post on a gun forum and some guy once said, "all guns suck, this one jam's, this one is plastic, this one isnt accurate and so on and so forth."

I guess the same is true with aquarium products. You ask 100 people about something, and you'll get 100 answer's. Some will say this is great, and some will say it's the worst.
[welcome]

luke33
08/28/2007, 09:59 PM
I'm not trying to be a (.) but gsguy its tough to take real advice from someone who has posted dang near 8k times in less than a year. I've uses many hot skimmers in the last few years and there are many I don't like. Out of the list below here are my thoughts on hot's.

odyssea 75/160----Decent skimmers and a very good value
cpr bak pak's --decent price but not great performers
remora mini/Pro--the worst value skimmer out there
Prizim pro/Delux- better value than a remora but not a good skimmer
deltec- decent performer but very very very overpriced
Seaclone- better than a remora but junk
Coralife-decent skimmer and decent price
typhoon-good price and decent skimmer
Bermuda Rogue-Its predecesor was a killer hot skimmer
PM skimmer-decent price and decent skimmer
Octopus-cpr ko and better price
won brothers- junk-like a cpr
Turbofloter-crappy price, good skimmer 55g or less.

The best value's are the odyssea's, typhoon's and the best performers stock are the turbofloaters and the bermuda's. The best hot skimmer out there is yet to be determined for a 125g or larger tank. The only real contender out there is the bermuda. The best real value is the ps75 and ps160. The only problem i have with the ps160 is i don't like it as a hot as it will overflow to much. But as an in sump skimmer it will be dang near as effective as a octo150 if you mod it and that will take a few bux.

There's my opinion folks as i've used most these skimmers and have seen every one in action hands on if i have not....only exception being the bermuda rogue but i've seen its predesesor in action. Believe what you want but don't take advice from people who won't show you proof.

kodyboy
08/28/2007, 10:03 PM
I will second Luke's list:)

jmkins
08/28/2007, 11:38 PM
I really have to back up F&E on this issue. Anyone who has followed this forum, specifically the HOB threads in the L,F, & O section have seen the same 4 or 5 people constantly bad mouth certain skimmers and praise others.

For anyone who is new to reef keeping and looking at buying their first equipment I would suggest taking everything with a grain of salt. Many posters are loyalists to certain brands, or suggest alternatives that need mods that cost way too much before they can even begin to compete with off the shelf competition that doesn't cost much more stock.

Having been on this site for a few years and purchased equipment based on recommendations from here I can only offer the suggestions that anyone looking for objective advice spend the time to peruse and search through as many threads as possible.

I have used a remora for the better part of 3 yrs on a 40b and never had any problems with it. I used an external PM bullet for a bit and got less than 2x the skimmate since I was working with a lightly stocked tank anyway. In reality I would be better off doing weekly water changes than running any skimmer.

luke33
08/29/2007, 06:22 AM
Then do your water changes. This is exactly what i would think to hear from a remora user. jmkins, if you ever use a decent skimmer you will be amazed at what it pulls out that your remora missed.

GSMguy
08/29/2007, 06:30 AM
in most cases water changes kick the butt of a hang on skimmer as far as removing doc

glassbox-design
08/29/2007, 07:48 AM
I have posted shots of the typhoon, as have others check out the typhoon thread. I think someone just meshmodded one as well. I am comparing the skimmate produced from the typhoon to the skimmate pics that I have seen (on this thread and others) for the deltec. It looks very simliar. Of course this is just be looks, as whatever is in the skimmate could be very different.

comparing skimmate pics is probably the worst way to possibly judge and compare a skimmer. skimmate is based on the tank and input of food. it's water quality that matters, not skimmate.

comparing skimmate blindly does nothing. dont compare skimmate unless you are going to do a lab analysis on what is actually pulled out and how much....

comparing modified skimmers to un-modified skimmers is another issue. that same air pump you put on the typhoon could be put on any skimmer with a limewood airstone and probably get close to the performance of the mce.

just like an mj1200 is better than a tunze. or an octo is better than ER,deltec, H&S....while they may be able to perform as well, that's after how many floods, how much tinkering, and how much of my time?

i think you get my point....

eric

RichConley
08/29/2007, 08:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10658918#post10658918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flint&Eric
or an octo is better than ER,deltec, H&S....while they may be able to perform as well, that's after how many floods, how much tinkering, and how much of my time?

i think you get my point....

eric

No floods.

Slight tinkering.

20 minutes.

No, I dont get your point.

kodyboy
08/29/2007, 08:41 AM
eric,
For $80 you can not get a better HOB (new) than a D&D marine typhoon (no mods). Find one that works better for the same amount of money.
Find one that works better for $120. The typhoon is a very good skimmer for what it is, and it far surpasses the CPR backpack types. I have used both skimmers and not once has a CPR backpack type surpassed what the typhoon can pull out.
A very simple mod (adding a cheap air pump to the intake) improves the skimmer, many people have one lying around and it takes no effort so that is a useful mod for anyone. I would think the same mod could help other skimmers as well and I am surprised it is not used more. People that have huge skimmers (such as volcanoes) regulary inject air via an air pump, albeit a powerful one.
You wanted pics, I showed you were to find them. You then don't want pics.............O.K. I even mentioned skimmate pics are not really useful (which you quoted) but that is all we have to compare.
I have yet to read a post (besides yours) on how great a CPR backpack skimmer is.

glassbox-design
08/29/2007, 08:56 AM
kody, on large skimmer they inject air into a NW to then chop it up into fine bubbles to fight the head pressure of the tall reaction chamber. you are injecting air into a post pump venturi, makeing large bubbles. not the same thing at all.

i agree with the cheap air pump, but an octo bacpack knock off with a limewood airstone will outskim a typhoon ime. if you really wanted to improved the typhoon you'd just install a limewood airstone and then call it a day. that would be a pretty good hob.

one of the best intank skimmers i've used was a DIY. it was a clear tube with an aspirated mj1200. if you chopped off the bottom and HOB components of the typhoon and ran it inside the tank with a NW pump injecting directly into the chamber it would work quite well...it would just be ugly as could be :)

i saw the picture but they are thumbnails...not exactly a picture i was hoping for. the pic of the typhoon looks like there are not that many bubbles, is that before or after the air pump mod?

i never said a cpr is great, they are simple and reliable. i have also said in previous posts i would not buy one again, i had one laying around from years back. now i'd go with a knockoff, deltec or tunze....but with an air pump and NW you'd be surprised what they can do.

the floods i was referring to the typhoons needed anti-syphon kit. and yes it takes more than 20mins. not all of us have enkamat just laying around the house for mesh modding fun. not to mention to really meshmod you need an air meter and killawatt...add those on top of cost and time, it's not worth it for me...for others that have the time and equipment i can understand. we've had this discussion before no need to do it again.

oh and here is one....

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=284&HS=1

with an added refugium. growing chaeto can really help in export and will do more than close to any HOB skimmer will. plus you could run an air pump or a recirc pump inside there.... all for cheap than a typhoon.

eric

GSMguy
08/29/2007, 08:58 AM
my NW MJ kicks butt .. also the fact that its in the skimmer not in the tank helps with the bubbles being consitant and no ugly pump in the water.

skimmy
08/29/2007, 09:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10657891#post10657891 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmkins
I really have to back up F&E on this issue. Anyone who has followed this forum, specifically the HOB threads in the L,F, & O section have seen the same 4 or 5 people constantly bad mouth certain skimmers and praise others.

For anyone who is new to reef keeping and looking at buying their first equipment I would suggest taking everything with a grain of salt. Many posters are loyalists to certain brands, or suggest alternatives that need mods that cost way too much before they can even begin to compete with off the shelf competition that doesn't cost much more stock.

well, i can only speak for myself...
i have over 15 years of professional experience in this industry,
and when i talk about a skimmer or why i dont like it, it's because of my personal experience with that certain piece of equipment.
i dont consider myself a "loyalist", i simply like what works, and will tell others what that is IMO.

the problem is that the majority of gear that is available to noobs coming into the hobby is utter crap. and that many people with little experience have never even seen honest good working equipment that is imported, handmade or only available in specialty reef shops. not mom and pop pet stores with 18 year old hamster feeding idiots working there...
so because of this, you wind up with a whole army of people who dont really know any better when it comes to equipment, methodology, troubleshooting, etc..

the best advice i can give for choosing equipment for the reef is:

emulate the design of successful, stable reefs that you have seen first hand, and had a chance to talk to the owners of those systems about their equipment, and the progression of equipment they went through to ultimately find what would perform the best for their systems. and im not talking about "johnny's cool looking tank that has been up for 8 months" im talking about reefs that have been stable for years, with full grown coral colonies.

as for hang on skimmers...just pretend they all suck, and talk yourself into taking the leap into getting a sump and a real skimmer. there is no comparison between a tank with hang on gear and a sump that has a big skimmer, carbon/phos reactor, refugium.
that being said, if you just cant make the right choice and still must damn yourself to hang on gear, here is my list of skimmers i like;
stock, both of these skimmers are garbage, but if your handy...
cpr bakpak w/ mesh moded maxi jet 1200 good for up to 30g
aqua c remora w/ injector cut out and sedra 2500 nw pump added, up to 40g (kinda a spendy combo for the results, i got both used cheap though)
deltec mce 600 (straight out of the box) up to 75g
tunze 9010 in tank, get over it being in the aquarium and just buy the damn thing...up to 100g

i'd love to experiment with a mesh modded aquabee pump inside a deltec mce600, i think that might even kick the tunze 9010's butt.
i've also been meaning to post a thread on my remora mods, just fine tuning the design still:)

RichConley
08/29/2007, 09:09 AM
Theres no way in heck an MCE600 handles a 75 with any reasonable stocking. Its just too poorly designed.

skimmy
08/29/2007, 09:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10659316#post10659316 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flint&Eric

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=284&HS=1

with an added refugium. growing chaeto can really help in export and will do more than close to any HOB skimmer will. plus you could run an air pump or a recirc pump inside there.... all for cheap than a typhoon.

eric

that would be perfect with a mesh modded maxi jet 1200!!

glassbox-design
08/29/2007, 09:13 AM
koraltek-exactly what i was thinking. for the serious diy'er you could even mod the venturi and shroud...looks wouldnt matter as much as it wouldnt be inside the tank.

skimmy
08/29/2007, 09:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10659396#post10659396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Theres no way in heck an MCE600 handles a 75 with any reasonable stocking. Its just too poorly designed.

Whatever dude, that skimmer rocks. my only gripe is that they can be loud sometimes, and i dont care for the collection cup, but it performs great, and pulls good skimmate on a daily basis. what more do you want it to do? granted, it could be cheaper...

and if your so smart than what hang on would you choose??

skimmy
08/29/2007, 09:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10659413#post10659413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flint&Eric
koraltek-exactly what i was thinking. for the serious diy'er you could even mod the venturi and shroud...looks wouldnt matter as much as it wouldnt be inside the tank.

you might be able to attach a surface skimmer from a bakpak to hide the pump and increase performance slightly too.

luke33
08/29/2007, 09:19 AM
The bottom line is you have to look at performance and cost and there are just a few mediocre hot skimmers out there. There are no great hot skimmers. The tunze in tank is your best option. In the near future hopefully we will see some substantial evidence that the bermuda rogue is a great hot skimmer. There are two users with them now I've been in contact with and hopefully soon we'll see something.

luke33
08/29/2007, 09:20 AM
Or wait til the turbofloater hot that has 30scfh to come out here in the next few months.

GSMguy
08/29/2007, 09:21 AM
i just dont understand how a tunze in tank isnst going to create a ton of microbubbles

any users out there?

RichConley
08/29/2007, 09:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10659468#post10659468 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
i just dont understand how a tunze in tank isnst going to create a ton of microbubbles

any users out there?

If a skimmer is working properly, there are NO microbubbles. Microbubbles mean that theres too much water moving through the skimmer and not enough air.

skimmy
08/29/2007, 09:31 AM
after they were broken in, there were no micro bubble issues with the 9010 and 9005 i have mounted in customer tanks i worked on. (i ran my personal one in the sump) but i was weary as well, especially of the hole in the back, up by the top, but in a week or so all was good. they are finniky about having a constant water level though, had to install auto top off to the tanks.

skimmy
08/29/2007, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10659460#post10659460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Or wait til the turbofloater hot that has 30scfh to come out here in the next few months.

that does sound awesome but i dont know if i could live with an ocean runner hanging in my tank. :)

i wish euroreef would finish their hang on skimmer...

kodyboy
08/29/2007, 09:39 AM
flint,
again I have used CPR backpacks (and the various in fuge versions) and they have all performed worse than my typhoon. I know how adding air to a NW works, but adding it to the venturi on the typhoon creates more bubbles, not larger ones. (the pic is un-modded)
I really do not want to use airstones ever again:), and while counter-current airstone skimmers can be very efficient, but no thanks.
I have not used the aquatraders (odyssea) fuge skimmer so I can not comment on it, but if it is a back-pack knock off I can not see how it would out-perform the typhoon. The typhoon is a good for its price, far more reliable than a back-pack type unit.
you could use the anti-siphon kit or drill a hole just below the water line, whatever works. The kit takes not time to install (it is just an elbow with a bent piece of rigid air tubing attached). This is the only gripe I have about the typhoon, it should simple come as part of the unit.

jmkins
09/02/2007, 12:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10658500#post10658500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Then do your water changes. This is exactly what i would think to hear from a remora user. jmkins, if you ever use a decent skimmer you will be amazed at what it pulls out that your remora missed.

Re-read my post. I was using a better than decent skimmer (PM bullet 2 on my tank for about 5 months) and really didn't get that much better results. My tank isn't overstocked (2 clowns and a dottyback) and my remora pulls around a few cups a week when I feed heavy.

If I were to re-do it I would look at an air driven skimmer like this one

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TURBO-MID&Category_Code=Aquamedic

Josh125
09/02/2007, 07:59 PM
The odyessa 75 is now half off, 35 bucks. It shows it has HOB, but for the life of me I can't figure out how....hang "in" the tank?

mta
09/02/2007, 08:06 PM
It comes withe a u tube.It allows the pump to be placed inside the tank.

luke33
09/02/2007, 08:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10689147#post10689147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Josh125
The odyessa 75 is now half off, 35 bucks. It shows it has HOB, but for the life of me I can't figure out how....hang "in" the tank?

When it first came out it was 29 bux, so its actually up 6 bux.

Josh125
09/02/2007, 08:56 PM
What the story on the ViaAqua Multi? Good, bad?

luke33
09/02/2007, 09:08 PM
Never seen one in person, i've heard both yea and nea, not to many users. There in sump skimmers are unreal completely redone. Personally there just another hot skimmer that could be average.

Josh125
09/02/2007, 09:10 PM
Eh, I'll just get a typhoon and call it a day. What pumps is everyone running on it?

luke33
09/02/2007, 09:51 PM
The one you get with it. Check out the typhoon thread.

jmkins
09/05/2007, 01:17 AM
I'm gonna post some pics tomorrow or the day after of skimmate that I collected on my "worthless" remora in a 10 hr period.

I really would like to see anything besides a higher end skimmer like a tunze or deltec outperform the remora or whatever hob you guys are pushing so hard. The remora shows up used at under a $100 here almost daily. The bermuda is 3x's as much new and no one will put up pics of performance. At the same time there are a bunch of reviews (positive and negative) on the deltec hob models.

Given that this hobby is supposed to be fun, what do you equipment pushers expect? You guys can find more negative experiences with the Typhoon in the last year than the remora. Really, every time the Remora comes up you guys are the most vocal. What does that say?

I will admit that the remora hob pretty much sucks. Ihaven't been convinced by you guys that I should by a comparably priced skimmer, upgrade the pump, hacksaw the body, add a needlewheel, and consider a gate valve over just buying a skimmer with those features standard. My problem being that none of those features justified the price tag. $5.00 worth of changes to already under-performing in sump skimmers wound up arguing HOB skimmers which cost more engineering hours to perfect..

DogfoodEnforcer
09/05/2007, 02:04 AM
what's the aquamedic turboflotor 1000 multi like?

anyone have experience with it?

kodyboy
09/05/2007, 04:40 AM
My typhoon has worked well since I bought it, my old remora never worked worth crap

DogfoodEnforcer
09/05/2007, 05:49 AM
also. is the coralife super skimmer decent?

im having a hard time deciding between the remora pro, turboflotor 1000 multi, coralife super skimmer, and the bak pak 2R+.

for a 35-50 gallon tank...i want to order it and my lights but cant decide on a HOT/HOB skimmer

luke33
09/05/2007, 06:11 AM
Out of those skimmers the tubofloater is superior.

Its already been well established the remora is the most overated and overpriced pos of the hot skimmers.......period.

stevenw56
09/05/2007, 09:13 AM
I'm using a Berlin Turbo Hang-on Protein Skimmer and it has been preforming well.

http://stevenwolf.com/fish/skimmer.JPG

GSMguy
09/05/2007, 09:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10705538#post10705538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stevenw56
I'm using a Berlin Turbo Hang-on Protein Skimmer and it has been preforming well.

http://stevenwolf.com/fish/skimmer.JPG

gross stuff.

what size tank is it on?

chirojosh
09/05/2007, 10:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10659453#post10659453 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
The bottom line is you have to look at performance and cost and there are just a few mediocre hot skimmers out there. There are no great hot skimmers. The tunze in tank is your best option. In the near future hopefully we will see some substantial evidence that the bermuda rogue is a great hot skimmer. There are two users with them now I've been in contact with and hopefully soon we'll see something.

:lol: Bermuda. I have never seen a company shoot themselves in the foot so bad. The only thing I have heard is a rep sounding real cocky, claiming the skimmer is the best thing since sliced bread. Since then they have fallen off the face of the planet. Something tells me these people with this skimmer "will be in contact" for a few more months. I dont care if it is the best skimmer in the world. The Customer Service sucks! There I said it.

GSMguy
09/05/2007, 10:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10705908#post10705908 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chirojosh
:lol: Bermuda. I have never seen a company shoot themselves in the foot so bad. The only thing I have heard is a rep sounding real cocky, claiming the skimmer is the best thing since sliced bread. Since then they have fallen off the face of the planet. Something tells me these people with this skimmer "will be in contact" for a few more months. I dont care if it is the best skimmer in the world. The Customer Service sucks! There I said it.

your observant, too bad really because they do have some real fans.

stevenw56
09/05/2007, 11:03 AM
GSMguy,

It's on a 75. It took 2 or 3 weeks before it really started cranking.

skimmy
09/05/2007, 11:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10704433#post10704433 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmkins
Really, every time the Remora comes up you guys are the most vocal. What does that say?

I will admit that the remora hob pretty much sucks.

it says the same thing you just admitted....

THE REMORA HOB PRETTY MUCH SUCKS

i couldnt have said it better.

and your right, you should just buy a skimmer with all the features you mentioned, instead of having to modify them into the design, is there one available though???

luke33
09/05/2007, 01:19 PM
Yes, i would say bermuda has dropped the ball in customer service at this point in time. I'm very disapointed as it could be the best hot skimmer out there but no one will get one if they won't reply back to you. There's been two guys in there forum that asked questions about the rogue and still nothing.....two weeks later. Pretty sad.

chirojosh
09/06/2007, 08:41 AM
yeah, I told them that I bought a Tunze instead. Tunze has shown interest in their customers. Guess what kind of response we got? Apologies for not helping and not coming around? Of course not, its Bermuda! The same cocky responses spew from the place. Response was good luck with the Tunze I hear they clog and have less contact time! I can't believe these people. :rolleyes:

GSMguy
09/06/2007, 08:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10707703#post10707703 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chirojosh
yeah, I told them that I bought a Tunze instead. Tunze has shown interest in their customers. Guess what kind of response we got? Apologies for not helping and not coming around? Of course not, its Bermuda! The same cocky responses spew from the place. Response was good luck with the Tunze I hear they clog and have less contact time! I can't believe these people. :rolleyes:

thats about right...

happyface888
09/06/2007, 09:58 AM
Has anyone attempted a diy hot skimmer?

luke33
09/06/2007, 10:30 AM
The best DIY hot skimmer would be a recirc behind your tank modded.

hahnmeister
09/06/2007, 03:47 PM
I make better HOT skimmers than 95% of whats out there. luke33 is right, the best HOT is simply a recirc standing behind the tank with its outlet spilling back into the tank. Think about it.

jmkins
09/08/2007, 01:42 AM
[img=http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/6260/skimmaterw1.th.jpg] (http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=skimmaterw1.jpg)

I'm actually sorry to be bumping this thread up again. The pic on the left if what I got within 4 hrs of cleaning my remora; the right is about 12 hrs later.

I dump the cup on this thing every other day and my tank isn't stocked heavily at all. Every time it is the same people that hate on the remora when hob threads come up and dont really give any alternatives that have been successful without a bunch of mods or a higher sticker cost. There is a cost/effectiveness ratio that most people consider when making a skimmer purchase.

Personally, I have been in the hobby for 3 yrs and want begin to keep more fish and more sps in a 75-90 g tank so I intend to upgrade from a remora to a tunze 9010. I've tried comparable skimmers before and realized that I didn't have more to skim out than my remora was pulling anyways. j

Like I said the remora sucks, but that is in comparison to all the other hob skimmers out there. I never have had to worry about an overflow with this skimmer which is a big concern to me as a renter. I cant risk the $40 that I'd save on a skimmer that has had, or might have, problems that will cost me a ton in the long run.

dhnguyen
09/08/2007, 08:46 AM
What do you mean? There are tons of alternatives out there than a Remora. Even the cheapo Odyssea skimmers can do better than what you posted as far as skimmate is concerned. Remember most other HOB skimmers have much larger collection cups than the Remora.

Here's one for size.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=9989463#post9989463
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1048116&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

It so also about 1/5th the price of a Remora.

happyface888
09/12/2007, 08:31 PM
Found some werid looking skimmers
this looks like a bite off version of a remora
Freedom filter
http://www.marineandreef.com/products/freedomfilter.jpg
http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/filters_freedomfilter.htm
I was told that this can be used as a hangon but how well does it preform?
Fission power protein skimmer
http://aquarium-supply.biz/products/current_power-skimmer.jpg
Ah and last but not leasst
Via Aqua Multi skimmer
http://aquarium-supply.biz/products/multiskimmer.jpg

happyface888
09/12/2007, 08:39 PM
http://www.lifereef.com/lg_vnt3.jpg
http://www.northcoastmarines.com/skimmers.htm
http://www.foryourfish.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/FYF-PR5.htm

dhnguyen
09/12/2007, 08:44 PM
Does an order of freedom fries come with that freedom filter? :lol:

Looking at a cross section of this thing and I don't see how it could skim very well.
http://www.freedomaquarium.com/site/product-features.cfm

That Fission skimmer looks just like an Odyssea PS-75 and the Odyssea is cheaper for sure.

Forget the Via Aqua HOB. Unlike its insump brethen, this thing is a POS.

luke33
09/12/2007, 09:06 PM
THose lifereef's are to expensive and they are set up poorly. But its the right concept. A shelf built with a regular skimmer on it. I think i saw a pricetag around 300-400 which is rediculous.

I did talk to a guy who had a fission recirc.....it was in his closet, he said it was a major pos, like the fission nano. Current isn't well known for there skimming abilities. Ofcours you could always mod it! lol

jmpreef
09/13/2007, 07:39 AM
Until I can afford to start over with a new system a HOB skimmer must due. I use the Via Aqua multiskimmer. I made an overflow box that keeps the surface clean. I don't get alot of liquid out. Maybe 2" of dark water a week. But the whole neck is completely caked with brown sludge. So it IS pulling out crap from the water. The filter is covered with a layer of sediment so it is removing that from the water as well. I have a sock filled with charcoal to help thing out. The cost was $75 and it's been going strong for 1 1/2 years. It's not great but it is doing something.
I like the idea of placing a better skimmer behind my tank and plumb out to it. Would love to see more about that concept. If I can continue to use that skimmer later in a sump, then it might be the best compromise /$ to improve my current 65gal tank.
This thread reminds me of threads in every forum.

I need a honda or toyota........It's crap you need to buy a Ferrari.

I need an RC car Batt charger....It's crap you need the $400 one.

I need a computer under $1000.... They're worthless! spend $3000 or don't bother.

I know your trying to help, but we do get caught up in he must have all or nothing game. Is telling someone to start over with a new tank,stand, pumps,sumps,etc really a way to answer the ? about affordable HOB skimmers?

dhnguyen
09/13/2007, 09:07 AM
BUT.... Most of us here are NOT telling you to get a more expensive skimmer. How is telling someone a $30 cheapo Odyssea works better than a Via Aqua HOB or Aqua C Remora, or $insert some POS HOB skimmer here$ like asking you to buy a Ferrari?

Fact is there are many affordable HOB skimmers that work and people don't need to get caught up in the hype.

torpedo101
09/13/2007, 09:23 AM
Hello read everything and well have question on berline classics ? are they a good hang on.. or would the ev 120 work as well ..tradin my old remora for something that pulls more crap out ..can t afford a deltec but looks great..

luke33
09/13/2007, 09:42 AM
Torpedo do you have a sump? the ac120 needs a sump or external but no hot.

kodyboy
09/13/2007, 09:44 AM
Berlin skimmers are awful, get a turboflotor or if you have the cash a bermuda aquatics rogue wave over one of those POSs

jmpreef
09/13/2007, 09:53 AM
Those replys ARE helpful so thanks! But there have been many in the 10 pages of help that I've read, that say they are all worthless.
There's a fine line between buying stepping-stone equipment or investing in something to keep. I don't need the best. Just good enough to keep a 65 gal SPS tank's water very clean. I like the idea of buying my "last" skimmer that I can use now and later when I go to a sump and drilled tank. It might allow me to justify the higher price tag.
So far most have said the ViaAqua is a POS on this and other threads. I have had good results with it. I wanted to share my actual experience with it. At $80 it is OK and is helping in my tank.
I came to this thread to learn about upgrades. Right now I think my HOB unit is working as well as the other HOB units. Perhaps it's time to mount a better unit on a shelf.

luke33
09/13/2007, 10:09 AM
I love the via aqua's in sump skimmers. There my fav modded. As for tehre hot skimmer, i hear you like them or hate them. There's no inbetween. If its working for you and your trates are low then thats great!

hahnmeister
09/13/2007, 10:14 AM
Those freedom filters are design patented on the USPTO website (as well as on WIPO). Their design is similar to a Tunze Doc... and they are internal, not HOB.

dhnguyen
09/13/2007, 10:19 AM
IYO Hahn do you see the skimmer part of the freedom filter working very well if at all? I am looking at the cross section picture at their website and I don't get it

torpedo101
09/13/2007, 10:27 AM
No sump .. have a 37 gal tall I got used it came with a eheim canister with a return and a hydro flow so need a hang on ..have been looking for a used one.. so trying to stay cheap but effective as I can

dhnguyen
09/13/2007, 10:33 AM
If you have room in your stand I would highly recommend putting in a sump to your setup. No HOB skimmer no matter how expensive it is can compete against a decent insump unit.

You can simply use a rubbermaid container as a sump on the cheap.

D.

GSMguy
09/13/2007, 10:35 AM
YO dhnguyen and Hahn did you see that bio bubble dome thing..... on freedom filters website,
watch the video... looks like a good way to kill some fish. and they even say to put corals in it LOL

dhnguyen
09/13/2007, 10:45 AM
no comment :)

That vid speaks for itself.

GSMguy
09/13/2007, 10:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10758118#post10758118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhnguyen
no comment :)

That vid speaks for itself.

:lol:

GSMguy
09/13/2007, 10:50 AM
BTW a crap LFS near me sells the freedom filter and it doesnt skim much on the 180g shark (yes i know)tank they have it set up on.... i figure a 180g with 3 sharks is probobly high bioload....

torpedo101
09/13/2007, 10:57 AM
so how would one go about making a sump with a bucket sounds like the way to go have room but no know how right or left..lol.

happyface888
09/13/2007, 10:58 AM
Wheres the vid I wanna see it lol
http://www.marineandreef.com/products/freedomfilterfeatures.jpg

dhnguyen
09/13/2007, 11:01 AM
A sump is nothing more than just a container of water under the tank. Get yourself a siphon overflow (u tube type) for about 300gph flow rate and use a MJ1200 as a return pump and voila!

GSMguy
09/13/2007, 11:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10758182#post10758182 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyface888
Wheres the vid I wanna see it lol
http://www.marineandreef.com/products/freedomfilterfeatures.jpg
http://www.freedomaquarium.com/site/bio_bubble.cfm
http://www.freedomaquarium.com/images/FAP_Bio_Bubble_TFH_630.jpg

dhnguyen
09/13/2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.freedomaquarium.com/site/bio_bubble.cfm
click Watch Video. :lol: