PDA

View Full Version : Need help with drilling setup/desgin for bulkheads.

Reef This
06/25/2007, 09:49 PM
Since remodeling our house, I've gotten hold of a 75G tank to replace my 55 with. Since seeing the video floating around of drilling a tank with a diamond hole saw, I've decided to do it.

My question is, after you drill the hole towards the top, what are people using to drain with? A stand pipe? Just the hole?

Is it beneficial to drill towards the bottom more and use a bigger stand pipe? I have all these questions, and am in the midst of planning to drill somewhere around the 10th of July.

Any help would be appreciated!

Percula9
07/25/2007, 07:38 PM
Unless you are really experienced at drilling glass tanks I wouldn't try it. Usually tanks are drilled before they are assembled. The glass could crack then the tank will be worthless. If you want to use a stand pipe the hole has to be in the bottom of the tank. If you put the hole at the top corner, put bulk head in and put strainer fitting over it. Then a 90 degree fitting on the other side to drain water into th sump. If the glass is tempered it will crack. Call an aquarium maint service to see if there is any one who can help you and is experienced in these matters. I would use a hang on continuous overflow to move the water from the tank to the sump. It will move a good amount of water for you and it has a small footprint. Well it's your decision. If you wan't a tank with a built in overflow buy it already made.