PDA

View Full Version : What do you all breeder out there do when you go on vacation?

Bidadari
06/26/2007, 04:54 AM
I'm just wondering what do you do when you go on vacation. I have just started breeding my percula & will have to travel in the near future. Between daily water change & 3 times daily feeding, I'm getting concern that breeding fish means no vacation?

Baalz
06/26/2007, 08:21 AM
It surely limits your away time. Best thing you can do is train a family member or friend to tend your fish once in the morning and once in the evening.

Just the evening if your just on larger growouts.

stevemc
06/26/2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah, you might not want to have any new hatches prior to going away. Just let them keep laying eggs. Train somebody close, real good, and make sure they have fed and done stuff with you there, so there is no problems. Do let them feed quite a few times so they have it right. Do several large water changes just prior and have water standing by in case you need to do a quick one. Feeding lightly is the best thing to do. Fish will live better on a little food than way too much and cloudy water-which will kill them. Have your lights on a timer(if you dont already).

papagimp
06/27/2007, 11:30 AM
Or you can take my route and be so darn paranoid about somebody else feeding your tanks and careing for your livestock that you rarely leave the house anymore :D.

Heterodonut
06/27/2007, 07:03 PM
What's a vacation?

FMarini
06/27/2007, 07:30 PM
I recall a clownfish breeder tell me that he just doesn't take vacations, becuase he can't afford the losses that occur when hes away.
Martin Moe has a nice comment
something like: a fish keepers job is mid morn til no sun, but a fish breeders job is never done
Vacation---whats that

Dman
06/28/2007, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10229077#post10229077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FMarini
Martin Moe has a nice comment
something like: a fish keepers job is mid morn til no sun, but a fish breeders job is never done
Vacation---whats that

That pretty much sums it up.

billsreef
06/28/2007, 02:43 PM
If your doing it as a Pro, you either don't take vacations or hire good help that you can really trust. If it's a hobby level project, you just need to plan your breeding such that you don't have labor intensive critical larvae that would suffer. Whenever I've got any breeding activity going on at home, I just don't save any larvae for rearing if I have travel plans and I put some food cultures in the fridge to hold them over till I return. Should my food cultures crash during vacation, I have some sources to obtain new cultures in trade for homebrew :D At work I get to shame Grad students into covering my time away from the lab. Since the fish I grow at the lab are used for their research projects and my bosses (their professor) research, they are quite motivated to do things right. Of course they all have my cell number and there have been occasions I've been called when traveling. Worse yet, the monitoring system for the wet lab knows my cell number and has been known to call me in the middle of the night on rare occasion :eek1: