PDA

View Full Version : algee in new tank

Snailpowered
06/26/2007, 06:54 AM
So as stated above i have a algee problum in my new tank. The tank has been up and running for a little over 2 weeks and its everyware!. I was talking to some people and they said that i was keeping my lights on for too long and thats the reason for all the green hair algee that i have. When i was doing a water change today so i decided to get my hands in there and pull off some of the algee with my fingers and suck it out with a syphon tube becasue i was getting the water out of there anyways, i noticed some red algee starting to grow. So im wondering what is causing the red algee to grow? I have a small cleaner crew that includes 5 blue legs, 4 red legs, 3 nar. snails, 1 emerald crab and a cleaner shrimp. So again so can someone please tell me possable causes for this red algee and what i can do to keep it under control or get rid of it the natural way (id rather not use chemicals unless i have to0

thanks for your time and experiance,
dave and steph

gummi
06/26/2007, 07:30 AM
any livestock in the tank?
what is your lighting and duration?
what water source?
is it by a window?
are you feeding?

Diatoms are normal at this stage as well as a bit of algae that will go away.

danch
06/26/2007, 07:40 AM
You will get algae blooms during the cycle. It will fade back with a little time.

You may want to consider a few astrea, trochus, or turbo snails for your crew - the nassarious don't actually eat algae, and the hermits don't seem to be real effective. Just don't go overboard - these blooms will pass, and you don't want them to starve. The emerald will probably do a pretty good job on the hair.

I've noticed that as I got into a big pod bloom the algae has really retreated. Don't know if this is causation or correlation, but all those bugs are certainly eating something!

The red algae (red slimy stuff, I assume? If it's red hairy stuff, this won't apply) seems to grow best in areas where lack of flow allows detritus to accumulate.

Manual pruning is a good thing, too - it will remove the nutrients that the algae used for growth for good.