PDA

View Full Version : help with frogspawn!

unbreakable
06/26/2007, 09:34 AM
a couple months ago I added torch coral and a week later it started oozing brown and died. at the same i bought some brain coral and brain favites and they were fine, still in my tank. i was reluctant to purchase anything similar to torch coral, but recently i bought some frogspawn with about 5 heads from my LFS. i temp acclimated and i poured a cup of my water into the bag and waited 15 min and did it again after 15 min. then i added it in. it retracted and it seems like a couple of the heads might be falling apart. looking more into it, theres a white film covering the heads and a brown goo is forming inside which im guessing is some infection

what am i doing wrong or what did i do wrong?

sg: 1.026
calcium: between 400-460
ammonia: 0
nitrites: 0
nitrates 20ppm
temp: about 79

i have other types of coral in there too. xenia, zoas, green star polyps, purple and red mushrooms, leather mushrooms, some brain coral, and a devil's hand. they're fine though

yeldarbj
06/26/2007, 10:51 AM
I've had very similar problems tyring to keep hammer coral. I've tried 2 frags so far. The first lasted one week before completely dissolving, the second lasted a month. It looked like something was "popping" the arms, and they just couldn't "inflate".

unbreakable
06/26/2007, 11:34 AM
it's weird though because it seems like i have something in my tank that's attacking these kinds of corals only. i didnt really want to buy the frogspawn since i had a bad experince with the torch, but i figured that a lot of time had passed by and whatever it was would be gone. its the second day and the heads havent come out, a white film is covering the heads and the brown jelly has started to appear.. out of the 5 or 6 heads it has, i dont think anything will survive. the coral looked healthy when i bought it

danielmanlee
06/26/2007, 11:49 AM
Do you have any angelfish in the tank by any chance?

unbreakable
06/26/2007, 11:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10218440#post10218440 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by danielmanlee
Do you have any angelfish in the tank by any chance?

nope, just two ocellaris clownfish, 1 yellow watchman and a clown goby. i had a dottyback in there but i took it out